Herb Block, 5 May 1970
You see, the reason we're in Indochina is to protect us boys in Indochina
- Speaker: Herb Block
- Subject: Vietnam War
- Audience: Appealing to anti-war Americans, readers of the Washington Post
- Context: Public support for Vietnam War is waning
- Labeling: American soldiers, Richard Nixon, current President, is on the newspaper.
- Irony: The soldiers say the only reason they're in Vietnam is to protect themselves. Basically, they aren't fighting for a purpose anymore.
- Purpose: To persuade all American citizens that the war is pointless.