The SPIRIT of SKS
Saint Kateri School's Newsletter ~ May 25, 2021
Good morning Saint Kateri School families!
What a beautiful day we had last Saturday for our Walk-A-Thon 2021! There was a sea of green as far as you could see walking around the school and covering our back field. It was a great sight to see. It was also the first time since COVID that we have been able to ALL be together ~ Faculty and Students and Families. Winners of the Silent Auction Baskets and Teacher Experiences are below ~ We are currently working on tallying up the pledges to determine student prizes. We will be able to announce soon if we made our fundraising goals!
On June 8th our 4th grade students will take the NYS Science written exam. This exam is only for 4th grade students and will begin at 9:00am. New York State has cancelled the Performance Exam this year due to COVID and will not hold a Science Exam next year as they transition to the new assessment aligned to the Next Gen standards.
Mrs. Dinsmore has been working with our K-5 students on their Spring Talent Show. The performances will happen in the Gym on June 8th and June 11th. Due to COVID each class will be performing for their Prayer Partners only. There will be links sent out after the event for families to view at home. Thank you Mrs. Dinsmore!
It is not too early to think about uniforms for next year! You will find in the newsletter an information sheet and price list for Stitchworks. They are following COVID guidelines with social distancing and limiting the number of people in the store. Appointments are needed! If you purchase online there is a coupon available.
Refer a friend or family member to SKS and you both will win!
Family Ambassador Program: The Diocese of Rochester is also continuing to provide up to $500 in tuition credit for families referring new families! Please follow the link below for more details https://www.dorschools.org/ambassador
Take time to enjoy these beautiful summer-like days with your family ~
Mrs. Terri L. Morgan, Principal
Phone: (585) 467-8730
AND THE WINNER IS -
Date Night (PK Mrs. Valvo): The Fioravanti's
Cookie Survival Basket (PK Mrs. Moore): The Rivas Family
Fun in the Sun (Kindergarten): The Guido Family
Rad Summer Picnic (1st grade): The Schmitt Family
Family Fire Basket (2nd grade): The Ruffino Family
Rainy Day Basket (3rd grade): The Wozniak Family
Taste of Italy (4th grade): SKS favorite Librarian Mrs. Gray
International Basket (5th grade): The Borden Family
Teacher Experiences and MORE!
Ice Cream with Mrs. Cleary: Riano R
Ice Cream with Mrs. D'Aprix: Olivia P
Ice Cream with Miss Garbach: Riel R
Ice Cream with Mrs. Gasic: Reliana R
Mad Scientist with Mrs. Payne: Molly S
Technology Teacher for the Day with Mrs. Pellegrino: Cayden O
Taste Testers with Mrs. Connor: Lyla M
Let's Go Fly a Kite with Ms. Valvo and Mrs. Borden: Jack M
Portrait Session with Ms. Roney-Blaine: The Schroeder Family
Greystone Gift Card: Dominic Corona
Air Fryer and accessories: Angela and Daniel Simonetti
How do I claim my winnings?
- We will be contacting all winners with details for picking up Silent Auction Baskets. Contact information was given during the bidding process.
- Basket Pick Up will begin next Wednesday, June 2nd.
- Faculty and Staff that are providing the many FUN experiences will be contacting families directly.
- Please contact the Main Office at (585) 467-8730 if you have not been contacted by June 2nd or if you have any questions.
Upcoming Calendar Dates:
- 5/31: NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 6/1: School Mass (K and 3rd) 9:00am
- 6/2: Spirit Shirt Day (You can wear your Walk-A-Thon shirt too!)
- 6/2: Parent's Association 6:00-7:30pm
- 6/8: Quiet Mass (K-2)
- 6/8: NYS Science Written exam (4th grade only)
- 6/11: Last day for Hot Lunch
- 6/12: SKS Seabreeze Day
- 6/14: Flag Day Prayer Service (9:00)
- 6/14: Preschool Field Day
- 6/15: Quiet Mass (3-5)
- 6/16: Last day for Milk Program
- 6/17: Last day for Preschool 3's
- 6/18: Last day for Preschool 4's
- 6/22: NO Quiet Mass
- 6/22: K-5 Field Day
- 6/23: Last day of school 11:30am dismissal
- 6/30: Last day for Early Bird registration for Before/After Care
Reminders from the Main Office
- Save the Date for SKS Seabreeze Day ~ Saturday, June 12th
- Last day for Hot Lunch service is June 11th ~ students will need to bring their lunch from home for the remainder of the school year.
- Last day for the Milk Program is June 16th
- Last day for Early Bird registration for Before/After Care ~ On July 1st the registration fee increases from $50 to $75.
Muchas gracias! Merci beaucoup! Thank you!
- Our SKS Faculty and Staff who were asked to go above and beyond to support our parent volunteers ~ during a YEAR that they were always being asked to go above and beyond!
- Our Main Office staff, Mrs. Messmer, Mrs. Felluca and Mrs. Syracusa, on the front line of taking questions and filling gaps, making phone calls and moving baskets ~so many times!
- Our Parent Association volunteers that have met each month, sometimes twice a month, re-imagining how the Walk-A-Thon might look different this year. A SHOUT OUT to Nicole Guido, Zenovia D'Arienzo, Jamie Parrini, Julie Schroeder, Carrie Pellegrino, Terra Rivera, Tieya Wozniak, Stacey Romeo and Katie Stam!
- The many sponsors that jumped on board at the beginning of planning: Advantage Credit Union, Irondequoit Pharmacy, Michael D. Schmitt, Attorney, Sydor Optics, Twelve Corners Apothecary, Genrich’s Garden Center, Florist & Greenhouses, GQ Landscape Service LLC, Hearing Aid Works Audiology PLLC, Pattonwood Cleaning and Property Maintenance, Rivas Roofing, Stitchworks Uniform and Sportswear, Two Ton Tony's, Orlando Rivera, Realtor, and Terra Rivera, Mary Kay Consultant.
- Carrie Pellegrino, SKS Technology Teacher and SKS Parent to a 5th grader, worked tirelessly to make this fundraising event an online experience! It was a lot of work but it added so much excitement to see our progress in our pledge goals and to keep up with the basket bidding ~ super fun!
- Thank you to Adrienne Peco for working with John at Name Droppers Sportswear to get the custom design, the awesome color (which was a great color but also the only color that Name Droppers could get given the size/quantity of our order. Perfect!), sorting and packaging for Classrooms and all the while keeping it a secret! Woot Woot!
- Officer Jonathan Lawton who helped coordinate the traffic flow and secured the barricades for the event.
- Jodi Schott and the Faith Formation volunteers and Youth Ministry group for the faith and fun filled Scavenger Hunt and Goodie Bags.
- Philip Schroeder and Colleen Trevisani and the many enthusiastic cub scout leaders of Cub Scout Pack #233 for such a great Lego Derby experience!
- The Knights of Columbus did a great job with the movement and parking of cars ~ a hard job to do, but one that is so necessary when we have our children walking around the campus! Thank you to Julie Schroeder for coordinating this with the Knights!
- Gaga Ball was a hit with our students ~ always a good time! Many thanks to Laura Fasano for securing it through the YMCA.
- To the DJ Extraordinaire Pete Stam ~ you kept us moving and grooving all day
- Our fabulous Food Trucks: Kona Ice, Macarollin', Marty's Meats and Verno on the Roll.
- The many, many volunteers that helped the day of the event - either by signing up or just pitching in! Thank you for helping manage the crazy beginning of the event snags!
Online Scholastic Book Fair
Let the shopping begin
When: May 17-30, 2021
Who: Saint Kateri Students, Families, Parishioners and Friends
How to shop at the SKS Book Fair:
- Go to www.scholastic.com
- Choose "Book Fairs"
- Enter our zip code "14617"
- Start shopping!
Order $25 worth of just books and receive FREE shipping to your home.
All proceeds from the Scholastic Book Fair are used for books and educational materials for our students.
Knights of Columbus Chicken BBQ
News from Faith Formation:
VBS Peace Lab: Where children discover God's way of peace!
Through learning how to resolve conflicts and figuring out ways to help others, children will learn how to be peacemakers in this VBS. The stories will lead children on an awesome adventure through the Bible, equipping them to follow Jesus as compassionate peacemakers. Engaging games, creative crafts, worship and prayer - all in a COVID -safe environment!
July 19-23, 2021
9:00 am to Noon
Pre-K 4 to Grade 6
Christ the King Campus
Sacrament Preparation ~ First Communion & Confirmation
Registration for First Reconciliation & First Communion, as well as Confirmation, for the 2021-2022 year is open. Our Diocesan policy is that sacramental preparation and celebration takes place at your home parish, and not with the school. Children in grade 2 and up can prepare to celebrate First Reconciliation and First Communion, and youth in grade 8 and up can begin the two year process to prepare for Confirmation. There are other aspects of the program that all youth complete through the parish for sacramental preparation, including but not limited to Mass attendance and parent sessions.
Please contact Jodi Schott for more information at 338-1146 or Jodi.Schott@dor.org.
2021-2022 Registration is well underway!
YOU ARE OUR BEST ADVERTISEMENT!
- Reach out to family and friends who are looking for a school for their children next year
- Post on your social media accounts
- Share our school posts
- Comment on local Irondequoit groups your recommendations about attending SKS
- Recommend Saint Kateri School as part of a Google review