By: Alicia Hess
There are many warning signs of suicide
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself.
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Talking about being a burden to others.
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly.
- Sleeping too little or too much.
- Withdrawn or feeling isolated.
- Displaying extreme mood swings.
Things not to say to someone who has a mental illness
- "How can you be depressed? There are children in Africa that have it so much worse than you."
- "It could be worse."
- "You'll get over it. It's just a phase."
- "You have so much, how could you not be happy?"
- "You have to be happy, you never stop smiling."
- "It's all in your head."
- "No one said life was fair."
- "I thought you were stronger than that."
- "I know how you feel."
There are a lot of ways to...
- plastic bags
- jumping from high places
- CO poisoning
- self harm
- and many more...
- 30,000 that die from suicide each year
- 750,000 that attempt suicide each year
- 1 in 25 that actually die from suicide