Problem solving and collaborating to change the world.
At Chipeta, we teach students to understand their role in the community and their ability to identify and solve problems. This is an integral part of our Habits of Work (HOW). We teach students to be respectful and responsible, to collaborate and lead, and to have integrity and persistence. When exhibiting these characteristics, our students are engaged citizens. We encourage you to review the HOW rubric you received at fall conferences with your children and discuss how these habits help them to engage in their community.
- Bringing the whole family and seeing what is important to your children in their learning was echoed repeatedly.
- The evening was interactive and engaging.
- Learning about the entire day - from the classroom to specials and the library/computer lab - added to the success.
- Students were empowered and confident. The format supported the concept of their personalized school experience being shaped by them and encouraging them to take ownership and responsibility.
- The opportunity to interact with the teachers, students, and other families.
- Gaining insight into how teachers prepare and what learning looks like at Chipeta. Understanding why teachers do what they do - not just what they do.
- Seeing how teachers interact with students and having a better way to ask questions to your children about school.
- The teachers' videos which can be referenced before or after the evening.
- Having choices.
- Schedule - We will start and end earlier, shorten the sessions, and start with a short session in the gym.
- Choices - We are exploring a way for you to self-schedule the evening. This includes scheduling a visit to your child's classroom, to specials classes, and to other teachers your child learns with like ELL, Special Education, Band, and Orchestra. We will work to find an appropriate group size for each location.
- Teacher Information - We will send videos from all teachers next year and teachers will still provide a brief introduction at the beginning of each session. We will refine the content of both parts so that parents feel that they get to know their child's teacher better.
- Communication - We will improve the communication prior to the evening and ensure consistent language (for example, not using session and rotation interchangeably).
Mountain Shadows Tree Lighting - Thursday, November 29th at 5:45 pm in the park
Books and Buddies - This month's topic is China. Thursday, November 29th at 6:30 pm in the Library.
PTA Meeting - Tuesday, December 4th at 6:30 pm in the Media Center Lab
Winter Band and Orchestra Concert - Tuesday, December 11th at 6:00 pm in the Gym
Winter Break - Thursday, December 20th - Friday, January 4th. School resumes on Monday, January 7th.
Chipeta . . .
- is an inclusive community in which children are nurtured and challenged to become learners now and for the future.
- a community where students are self-directed learners collaborating, taking risks, and problem solving to change our world.
- strives to balance all of the competencies as we set high standards and levels of achievement and growth for all students.