DISASTER IN JAMMU KASHMIR
BY RAMEELA RAMESH
Causes of the disaster
- Unprecedented rainfall
- unplanned urbanization
- lack of preparedness
- drainage system is undeveloped
- change in climatic condition
Steps taken by the government
- The health department has set up medical centers at relief camps to treat patients symptomatically.
- The Central government also flew in supplies of chlorine tablets to make drinking water potable at relief camps as the supply of packaged water is unlikely to suffice.
- The defense ministry said that they distributed 7,200 blankets, 210 tents, 42,000 liters of water, 600 kg of biscuits, 7 tons of baby food and 1000 food blankets
Could this be avoided?
It could have been avoided by the following ways -
- Afforestation should be encouraged
- Tourism must be controlled
- Population must also be controlled
- controlled development
- Disaster management must be improved
Its impact on our country's economy
- An immediate loss of 5,400 - 5,700 crore.
- Damage of more than 50 bridges, roads and buildings
- Apples have become costlier by 18%
- Agricultural crops have been affected adversely.