Sixth Grade Leadership
What's on our plate through the end of the year?
Halfway Through the Semester
As unbelievable as it may seem, the end of the first nine weeks marks the halfway point for this semester class. Our list of accomplishments thus far is impressive and I am constantly delighted with the excitement and growth in our class. As a team we are striving to lead and serve with this goal in mind: "Begin with passion. Continue with enthusiasm. Finish with pride."
Canned Food Drive
While creating bulletin boards and posters are significant and necessary leadership activities, our greatest mission during this season is our LaCreole Canned Food Drive to support Christmas Cheer. Our class has been extraordinarily busy promoting the Canned Food Drive through a YouTube video, advertising throughout the school, setting up the collection process, and working as a team to pick up the food from advisory classes and post the results in a timely basis. There is a great amount of work involved and the students have stepped up to the challenge with enthusiasm and vigor. The Canned Food Drive will be ongoing from November 3 through December 5.
More Canned Food Drive Activities
There are three additional opportunities for canned food collection outside of our advisory class pick-up. Each of these functions will need the support of our leadership students for greatest success. However, since these events are not during school hours, leadership student attendance is optional and NOT mandatory.
1. Early Admission Activity Night - Friday, November 14, 2014
- Students bringing in 5 points of canned food and the $5 admission fee can enter this Activity Night at 6:30 instead of 7:00.
- As a result, we will be needing eager students available at 6:00 this Friday to help with the entrance process.
- Students bringing in 5 points of canned food the morning of Friday, November 21, will have the opportunity to wear a hat at LaCreole for the remainder of the day.
- Students willing to collect the food, record information, and help set-up/organize this event are encouraged to arrive to school on that day at 8:00 am.
- Lacreole and Dallas High School Leadership students will have an OPTIONAL opportunity for community service on Saturday, November 22. Flyers will be handed out at Walmart to promote Christmas Cheer with the hope that customers will exit the store willing to contribute to our Canned Food Drive. Our hours will be from 9 am to 4 pm, however, I will only be there to supervise until 12:30. (The high school leadership teacher will be supervising in the afternoon.). Look for a permission slip coming home TODAY regarding this event.
Delbert Arboretum Field Trip
Conferences will be taking place from 8 am to 8 pm on Monday and Tuesday, November 24 and 25. As I am not a full time employee, I will primarily be available only on Monday. I have been very pleased with all of my leadership students and it would be with great pleasure that I could boast on their fantastic accomplishments in my class. I would enjoy meeting on Monday, however, please know that I am open to communication at any time via phone or email [(503) 623-6662 ext. 344 or Michele.Schilling@dsd2.org]. Thank you for the opportunity to teach and lead such fabulous students. :)