The Central Scoop
From the Principal's Desk...
Dear Central Families,
We ended the year just like we started it - by celebrating our students!
Thank you to everyone who participated in our Central Fox Trot 5K Run/Walk and 1 Mile Fun Run. It was a beautiful day for a run/walk. We had many members of our Central community run/walk by staff stationed inside the fence line along 10th Street. This year we had 132 total submissions! We had 71 participants for the 1 Mile Fun Run and 61 participants for the Fox Trot 5K. We are looking forward to our 2nd Annual Fox Trot event next school year with an even greater celebration!
The car parade was also an enormous success. I can't imagine a better way to end the year given the circumstances. It was so good to see everyone's enthusiastic faces after being apart for so long.
I hope you have a fun and relaxing summer with family and friends and please stay optimistic for fall!
With Warm Regards,
Central Elementary School
Fox Trot Times
Families uploaded pictures to celebrate our Fox Trot participants
A Special Message from The D39 Music Department - Lean on Me
The D39 music team is proud to share with your a collaboration performance with the hopes of sending a positive message to our students, parents, and fellow staff. So much has already been said about what we’ve done to come together as a community and so much will be said about what comes next for us. No matter what, though, we will have each other to lean on. All you’ve got to do is call… Thank you to the 5-8 Choir Director, Ethan Kohring, for arranging the music and editing the video!
Educational Summer Resources
I encourage everyone to enjoy a good book this summer! The D39 Library Team has created a Virtual Library just for your family! Find information on e-books, virtual spring break spots, author visits, and podcasts for kids all in one easy to access location. In addition, Ms. Diekman is posting picture book read alouds on the Central School Library website. #d39Reads
In addition, District 39 is partnering with ScootPad to provide additional dynamic learning resources to our students this summer and next school year. ScootPad is a personalized mastery learning platform built on proven learning science research and data-driven intelligence in collaboration with Stanford University researchers. It delivers continuously adaptive enrichment, automatic remediation and personalized mastery for every student. Look for information from our D39 team regarding access and login credentials for your children.
- Effective June 10th, we will be disabling Google Chat on all student accounts for summer. It will be re-enabled for next school year. This is a good time to remind your children that the Acceptable Use Procedures (AUP) for technology is always in effect, even through summer, and that school issued devices are to be used for learning only.
PTA Announcements and Reminders
* The PTA sends out their own newsletter on Sundays - here are just a few highlights
Simply complete your online order HERE and everything your student needs for next year will come packaged in one convenient box containing exactly what your child's teacher has requested.
- School supply kits are separate from the instructional materials fee paid during registration.
- All D39 school kits can be purchased in a single transaction by searching your other D39 school before checking out.
- Central PTA’s Donation Kit: Help students in need at CPS School, Prieto Academy. Each kit purchased will provide crucial school supplies to students including glue sticks, markers, and construction paper. Last year, we 150 donated kits - we would love to exceed that for these students, 95% of whom are on free and reduced lunch, this year! To note: This school community is more in need than ever this year. The Belmont-Cragin neighborhood has the 2nd highest count of COVID-19 in Illinois, hitting Prieto’s low income and immigrant population especially hard. Thank you for your consideration and generosity.
- Questions? Email Central's PTA School Supply Volunteer, Erin Schael.
Pathway to Play Update
The Central PTA is excited to announce we have officially funded a new Kindergarten playground! The playground will be installed this summer – in perfect time for the new Kindergarten Enrichment program next Fall.
At the time of the stay-at-home mandate, we were 60% of the way toward meeting our overall Phase I goal of raising $100K for this year. During these unprecedented times, we decided to suspend further fundraising efforts for the remainder of the school year. We are looking forward to continuing our fundraising efforts for the installation of the main playground when school resumes in the Fall for an installation in the summer of 2021. THANK YOU to everyone who helped us in raising 60% of our goal - we are already looking forward to some great events next year!
Playground renderings continue to be available on the Central PTA website. You can view them online at here.
Join us on Twitter!
Central School is on Twitter!
- We have TWO Twitter accounts. Please "follow" us at Twitter.com! Explore Central 39 (with our actual "handle" as @explorecentral). With this account, we mostly share student activities that are completed in the Learning Commons (but other activities are often included as well). We are also providing this Twitter feed on our Central School homepage.
- There is also a principal page @BeckyLittmann where you can follow a variety of school happenings including all-school events, classroom activities, PTA enrichment, and school goals.