2020 MLK, Jr. Day of Service
Living the Dream-Embracing our Future-Learning from our Past
Monday, January 20, 2020
Rev. Henry L. "Charlie" Sanders Jr.
Retired Colonel, United States Army Reserves
- Ordained Baptist Minister since 2000
- Member, Antioch Baptist Church, Fairfax City, VA
- Former Assistant Pastor, Rising Star Baptist Church, Sylacauga, AL
- Completed Hours toward a Master of Divinity Degree
- Retired Colonel, United States Army Reserves (30 Years)
- Environmental Science Engineering Officer, Medical Services Corps
- Two Combat Tours in Iraq and Somalia, East Africa
- Masters Degree in Strategic Studies from the US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, PA
- Military Awards: Legion of Merit (LOM), Combat Medical Badge, and Order of Military Medical Merit Recipient (O2M3) – Awarded to the top 10% of Medical Service Corps Officers in the US Army.
Environmental Safety and health professional with over 30 years of experience working in multiple industries to include mining (surface and underground), fertilizer, foundries, and ceiling tile production. Currently, Mr. Sanders serves as a Senior Consultant with Ancilla-Inc, a Department of Defense Contractor, Falls Church, VA.
Murray State University
- Murray State University Alumni; BS in Occupational Safety and Health; Professional Internship – National institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Taft Laboratory, Cincinnati, OH
- 1990 Outstanding Senior in Occupational Safety and Health
- Commissioned Officer, Second Lieutenant (2LT), Murray State University ROTC
- First African American Student Government Vice-President and President of the University Center Board
- Minority Awareness Chairman, University Center Board
- Cold Blooded Brother of the Zeta Omicron Chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, INC. (Spring 1986 Initiate)
- Voices of Praise
Rev. Sanders is blessed in marriage for over 25 years to the lovely, former, Carolyn W. Wilson of Salem, Alabama. She is a graduate of the University of Alabama and a member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. The Sanders family has three children and a Nephew; Elijah, Caleb, Keziah, and Joshua. The Family is relocating to Centreville, VA, and members of First Baptist Church, Sylacauga, AL.
MLK, Jr. Celebration Schedule of Events
MLK, Jr. Celebration Schedule of Events:
Sunday, January 19, 2020
Candlelight March and Vigil
5:30pm Meet at Pogue Library
6:00pm MLK, Jr. March
6:30pm "I have a Dream Speech"
7:00pm March & Vigil Ends
Monday, January 20, 2020
Day of Service and Breakfast Keynote (Space limited to 100 RSVP Today)
Curris Center Large Banquet Room
8:30am – 10:15am Item Collection
8:30am – 10:15am MLK, Jr. Community Breakfast & Keynote
Keynote: Rev. Henry L. "Charlie" Sanders, '90, Retired Colonel, US Army Reserves, Antioch Baptist Church, Fairfax City, VA, Senior Consultant with Ancilla-Inc, a Department of Defense Contractor, Falls Church, VA (See full bio below)
11:00am-4:00pm Community Service Projects
For More Information
If you have any questions, please contact us at:
email@example.com (270) 809-6836
Multicultural Initiatives, Student Leadership & Inclusive Excellence
Emerging Scholars Institute
Department of Social Work
Black Student Council
2020 MLK Jr. Celebration Committee, City of Murray-Human Rights Commission, Office of the President, Office of the Provost, Office of Student Affairs, Branding , Marketing and Communication, Student Life, Enrollment Management, Office of Recruitment, Office of Greek Life, Emerging Scholars Institute, Student Government Association, NPHC, Sueño Latino, Radiant Racerettes, MSU Residential Colleges, Student Affairs Inclusive Excellence Student Advisory Committee and the Murray-Calloway United Way.