Sunday, October 4, 2020
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
We are really excited about our transition to in person/interCONNECT learning on Tuesday, 10/6. With big change comes big questions and an element of uncertainty. There has been a lot of information sent out to families in the last few days. I'm working really hard to keep that information consolidated in three spaces:
- The District has a "Road Map to Reopening," which is updated regularly - it is available here; it was last updated on 9/25; the district has also created a reopening video which is linked on the same page
- We have a site "at a glance" with details about our policies related to LCES - please, please check that out here; it was last updated on 9/30.
- I created a hyperlinked doc with more details, pictures and a narrative - please review this with your child before school resumes so that we are all on the same-ish page; it is available here under the welcome back letter
If you have a burning question, please don't let that create stress for you! Please reach out to me this weekend (I promise it's okay!) - via email or (for faster response) via text (702 324 6884).
This Week's Most Important Thing - Colt Pride Day!
Every Friday is a Colt Pride Day but this Friday is a big one because it's our first with students on campus! So, break out your blue, yellow, zebra print and/or Colt Pride gear and wear it with pride! If you are at home, be sure to send me an email with a picture of your Colt (email@example.com) or post a picture on social media!
It is a GREAT day to be a Colt!
If you are interested in purchasing Colt Pride Gear - our online shop is open 24/7 at https://lincolncrossingspiritwear.com/ thanks to our PTC!
In Person Learners - Bringing Devices to School
A few reminders:
- please bring your device fully CHARGED daily! Cords create tripping hazards!
- your teacher may have your child bring a device daily, or only on some days; watch for information from your teacher about his/her expectations
- students will only be touching their own device, but we encourage you to put a piece of painters tap (or something similar) on the cover of the device with your child's first/last name and teacher's name just in case it gets misplaced.
- the WPUSD devices are very sturdy, but remind your child not to throw, step on, or spill in his/her backpack in order to limit the risk of damage. Some families have picked up inexpensive cases or sleeves on Amazon or other places in order to have an extra layer of protection available. One the underside of the device, there is a model type (i.e. HP Chromebook...) that can help you select an appropriate size for a cover or sleeve if you go that route
It's not our plan to have your child on a device all day long, but we will use the devices for some web-based curriculum (i.e. iReady) and to support collaborative learning activities in the classroom and with interCONNECT learners.
Food Service Options
In Person Learners:
Our district is offering free meals to all students who may benefit from them. Meals will be packaged and delivered to your child’s classroom on Tuesdays and Fridays for your child to bring home. In order to receive meals, you must sign up in advance. To learn more about the meal program and to sign up, please complete this online form: http://bit.ly/LCES_Food_Service_Survey. Please complete this form by Monday, 10/5 at 8pm, particularly if you want to receive the free meals. This service will begin on Friday, 10/9.
You can learn more about options to pick up meals for interCONNECT learners on the WPUSD Food Service Website - click here.
Love and Logic - Virtual Classes for Parent/Guardians
In this series, you will learn how to:
- avoid un-winnable power-struggles and arguments
- stay calm when kids do incredibly upsetting things
- set enforceable limits
- avoid enabling and begin empowering
- help kids learn from mistakes rather than repeating them.
As a mom and an educator, I've been through this program more than once - and it's top notch! To learn more or sign up, see the form here: https://app.peachjar.com/flyers/1043598/schools/58939
Mindfulness Corner -
If you are looking for ways to relax before school, during a break, or after school, check out our virtual calming corner and other mindfulness resources plus helpful tips for parents to support their child's anxiety - click here!
Non-School Days & District Calendar Links
NON-SCHOOL DAYS or SPECIAL DAYS
- Fri., 10/2-Mon., 10/5: Fall Break / no school
- Tues., 10/6: First Day of In Person or interCONNECT instruction
- CANCELLED - Mon., 11/2: Staff Work Day / WE WILL HAVE SCHOOL on 11/2
- Wed., 11/11: Veteran's Day / no school
- Mon., 11/16-Fri., 11/20: Conference Week (watch for details in late October!)
- Mon., 11/23-Fri., 11/27: Thanksgiving Break / no school
- Mon., 12/21-Mon., 1/4: Winter Break / no school
- Mon., 1/18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day / no school
- Fri., 2/12-Mon., 2/15: Mini February Break / no school
- Fri., 3/26: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 3/29-Fri., 4/2: Spring Break / no school
- Mon., 4/5: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 5/31: Memorial Day / no school
- Fri., 6/11: Last Day of School
*Fri., 3/26 and Mon., 4/5 are Public Safety (PS) Days - PS days are non student and non teacher word days unless they are needed as make-up days for prior Public Safety closures (smoke, power outages, etc...)
Stay in Touch!
- Check our our website and our community calendar of activities; access PeachJar (our flier hub) directly here!
- Download our free app and get notifications on your phone
- Follow us on Social Media (links above), including Instagram at @lcescolts
- Check us out on YouTube at http://youtube.com/c/JenniferHladunLCES