First Grade Newsletter
October 6, 2016
Did you know...
3 tardies = 1 unexcused absence?
And 10 unexcused absences = PISD can and will file truancy charges (leading to a fine up to $500)?
Schedule trips/family vacations during school holidays and get to school on time every single day! Also, try to schedule doctor appointments later in the day or after school if possible.
- Thursday, October 6th - Fall Picnic (5-7 pm)
- Monday, October 10th: Conference Day & No School (For Students!)
- Wednesday, October 12th: Fire Prevention Poster Contest Due
- Thursday, October 13th: PHOTO DAY!!
- Sunday, October 16th: FC Dallas Barksdale Family Night
- Tuesday, October 18th: Author Visit (information below)
- October 24th -28th: Red Ribbon Week (flyer below)
- Tuesday, October 25th: COLOR RUN!! (6-7)
- Friday, October 28th: PTA Reflections Due (more information below)
- Monday, October 31st: Pumpkin Math with Dads! (9:30 - 10:30)
- Reading logs are due every Monday.
- Due to the limited space in our cafeteria, we are asking that parents only eat with their children once per semester. Thank you for your cooperation!
Author's Visit - Nancy Churnin
Meet an author! Get your book signed! Learn about creative writing!
Local Children’s Author and former Barksdale Parent, Nancy Churnin, is coming to Barksdale on October 18th! Her book, The William Hoy Story, is a biography about how an extraordinary deaf baseball player made a lasting impact on the game. She will be sharing her book, and Meryl Evans, another former Barksdale parent, will be available to answer questions about what it is like to be deaf. Her book will be available for advance purchase at www.barksdalepta.org.
Click on My PTA Account, select Nancy Churnin Books, and order yours today! (Please order per child as they will be delivered during their visit.)
Visit www.nancychurnin.com for more information.
Fall Picnic - Tonight!
Pumpkin Math - WE NEED DADS!! (or uncles & grandpas)
This is such a fun day for the first grade boys and girls. Dads get to come into the classroom and help with this fun learning opportunity. We weigh the pumpkin, measurement it, cut it open & pull out the seeds to count. Then we get to carve a design on it.
If you are interested:
1) Let your child’s teacher know ASAP
2) Fill out the Volunteer Application at http://pisd.edu/about.us/partners.volunteers/volunteer.application.shtml
**You cannot participate without this clearance.
Thanks for your participation in this exciting day!
What are we learning?
Language Arts and Social Studies
In language arts, we have been focusing on identifying the plot and author's purpose while reading. In spelling, we are working on words with short o (-op, -ock, -ot, -ox, -od).
Next week, the skills we will be focusing on are plot and retelling stories with beginning, middle, and end.In spelling will be focusing on words that have a short e. In writer's workshop, students will be working on the planning, writing, and editing phases of the writing process.
In social studies, we've been focusing on the concept of geography. We have been discussing cardinal directions and learning how to read a map.
Next week, we are going to make and record observations as we create our own ICE CREAM!
PTA Reflections Project
This is the first leg of the Triathlon!
- Entry forms and Guidelines can be found at www.txpta.org/programs/reflections/participate/
- Entries are due October 28, 2016 Please place entries in the boxes located outside of Mrs. Born, the art teacher’s classroom.
One member of the household must be a PTA member to participate.
Fire Prevention Poster Contest
All 2015 Fire Prevention Poster Contest entries are due to Barksdale on Wednesday, October 12th.
All posters will be judged on Wednesday, October 12th at 3:00 PM. Winning school posters will be entered in the citywide contest. A flyer with details regarding rules was previously sent home with your child. If you should have further questions, please contact Celene.Rosen@pisd.edu. We look forward to seeing all the wonderful posters submitted by our students in grades Kindergarten-5th grade.
Suscribe to E-News
If you are not already a Barksdale eNews subscriber, please consider subscribing.
eNews is the best way to receive the MOST UP TO DATE information about Barksdale.
Below are two easy ways to subscribe:
Sign up using Parent Portal http://parent.mypisd.net
Go to the section titled eNEWS in the upper right hand corner
Choose Barksdale and the UPDATE
To sign up, go to http://elist.pisd.edu/
Red Ribbon Week October 24 - 28th
As a parent, you have FREE access to a wonderful literacy and math resource called Ready-Rosie: Ready for School. Ready for the World.
You may access for babies or for pre-K through first grade aged students.
If you are interested, click on www.readyrosie.com
Follow 1st Grade!
1st Grade Twitter: @bbengaged1
Barksdale Twitter: @barksdalebronco
1st Grade Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/Gr1Broncos
1st Grade Website: https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/first-grade-barksdale-elementary/