Florence Sawyer School Happenings
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
I hope this finds you all well and with power restored where it had been knocked out. Tonight, I'm asking you to save the dates for our first Virtual Curriculum Nights, next week. A schedule is detailed below. Classes and grade levels will invite parents to register for curriculum night in a separate communication.
The 2020 Virtual Curriculum Nights are intended to provide our parents with a virtual "open house" experience to meet your children's teachers and learn more about what your children will be learning this year. It is not intended to be, nor does the format allow, for questions about individual student progress. For this purpose, we have also scheduled Parent-Teacher Conferences for October 22 and 23. More information about Conferences will be available next week.
In the following sections of this week's Happenings, please find more detailed information about,
* Our satellite parent drop-off and pick-up procedures.
* Returning student registration
* Bus transportation
* Safety reminders for driving around campus
* Health Office Reminders
* Virtual Backpack Updates
Yours in partnership,
FSS Virtual Curriculum Nights, 2020
Please save the following dates for Virtual Curriculum Nights at FSS.
Monday, October 5, NRSD Middle School Remote Learning Academy for grades 6-8. Schedule to follow.
Tuesday, October 6, Grades K-4 (Including Remote Learning Academy classes K-4)
- 5:30 - Related Arts Teachers (Art, Health, Music, PE) counselors, literacy and math specialists
- 6:00 - Kindergarten
- 6:20 - Grade 1
- 6:40 - Grade 2
- 7:00 - Grade 3
- 7:20 - Grade 4
Thursday, October 8, Grades 5 -8 (Including Grade 5 RLA)
- 5:30 - Related Arts Teachers
- 6:00 - Grade 5
- 6:30 - Grade 6
- 7:00 - Grade 7
- 7:30 - Grade 8
Satellite Parent Drop-off & Pick-up at Trinity Church Parking Lot
If you would like to take advantage of this alternative to our existing arrival and dismissal procedures, the process follows.
For satellite parent pick-up at the end of the day.
1. Email your child's teacher and email@example.com indicating that you are giving permission to have your child(ren) walk to Trinity Church Parking Lot for Satellite Parent Pick-up on a particular day or as a regular recurrence.
2. Explain to your child that at the end of the day when the office calls for walkers, the teachers will direct them to the gym in the Sawyer Wing or to the office in the Emerson Wing.
3. One of the FSS staff members will escort students from their wing of the school to the path to Trinity Church Parking lot.
4. Students are not supervised beyond the path.
For satellite parent drop-off to start the day.
1. Please notify firstname.lastname@example.org and your child's teacher that you have given permission for your child to walk to school from Trinity Church Parking Lot.
2. An FSS staff member will be in position from 8:25 to 8:35 at the Mechanic Street side of the path to help students cross to the sidewalks.
3. Students are expected to walk to their wing unescorted. For this reason, we do not recommend this process for our youngest students unless they walk with their siblings.
Square One Art Fundraiser
The Bolton School Donations Committee is once again partnering with Square 1 Art for our fall fundraiser. This year's fundraiser will operate almost entirely online so all students will have an opportunity to create a piece of art that can then be reproduced onto a number of products that make great keepsakes and holiday gifts. Keep an eye out for information from your child's teacher regarding instructions or visit the Square 1 Art website. Please submit all artwork by October 7th. Thank you so much for your support of this very beneficial fundraiser!
Walking/ Biking to School
We respect and support your choice to allow your child to walk and or bike to school. The new sidewalks and traffic controls on Main Street and Wattaquodoc Hill Road have improved the conditions that students would have previously been asked to navigate. Despite these improvements, we ask that you review or practice your child's route to and from school.
The following procedures will be in place for students walking and biking to school.
Students are allowed to walk home or bike home with written (emailed) parent permission. Parents should notify FSSAttendance@nrsd.net and CC your child's homeroom teacher.
Students walking from the Sawyer Wing or from the Emerson Wing will be dismissed to a staff member that will escort students on the sidewalks to either (A) the corner of Mechanic and Main or (B) the Mechanic Street side of the Trinity Church Parking Lot path. Students are not allowed to run and must stay with the staff member assigned to escort walkers during dismissal and must stay on the sidewalks. Students walking must wear masks in a group and stay physically distant. Failure to follow the above procedures will result in a revocation of the privilege.
Students biking home must wait until buses and cars have left campus. Students with bicycles on campus must have helmets and are responsible for their own locks. Students biking home should walk their bikes off-campus if sharing the sidewalk with walkers.
All walkers and bikers are required to use the sidewalks on Mechanic Street.
Daily Video Announcements
In an effort to provide a consistent start to our day regardless of the model, we have transitioned to Daily Video Announcements. New Daily Video Announcements are posted by 8:00 AM.
Daily Video Announcements are posted on twitter. You can go there without an account at https://twitter.com/Pk8SawyerSchool
They are also posted on our website, https://sawyer.nrsd.net/ on the home page under the COVID information.
Access to the Daily Video Announcements (DVA) by subscribing to our youtube channel in the lower right-hand corner.
FSS Math Problem of the Week
Here is the link to this week's Math Problem of the Week
Rainy Days and Mondays, & Tuesdays & Thursdays & Fridays.
With our new COVID protocols, the importance of our students and staff accessing the fresh air throughout the day is at an all-time high. This year, students and staff often head outdoors multiple times per day for mask breaks and, of course, recess.
Barring unsafe weather conditions, we will continue to head outdoors even with rain and cool air. This will be different from our past practice where we often stayed indoors for recess during misty or rainy weather.
Alfred Wainwright once said, “There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”
With Wainwright's guidance in mind, parents, please help your child be ready with appropriate attire to go outdoors in the rain. A jacket, a hood, and/or an umbrella will be just perfect. Thank you for your help!
A Note from the office.....Returning Student Registration
Last Friday your child’s individual Returning Student Registration snapcode was emailed to you. If you have not already completed the registration, please do so by September 30. Please reach out to Melissa Clericuzio (email@example.com) if you need your code resent. Please do not complete a New Student Registration. Additionally, if you are new to the Florence Sawyer School starting this school year, you do not need to complete a Returning Student Registration.
Important Note About Bus Transportation
Safety reminders for driving around the FSS campus
Please take note of the following reminders to ensure that we keep everyone safe when driving around the FSS campus.
Please drive slowly around each building.
Please do not drive on any of the unpaved paths around campus. These include;
- The path between the Emerson and Sawyer Wings
- The path between Mechanic Street and the Trinity Church Parking Lot
- The path behind the Sawyer Wing toward the Community Gardens and Senior Center.
Please drop off students at designated dropoff areas.
Thank you for doing your part to ensure the safety of students and families on campus.
From the FSS Health Office...
We want to work with families to support their students’ adherence to safety measures while on campus as well as at home. FSS is committed to implementing health and safety precautions to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our school community for the protection of students, faculty, and the larger community.
Just a few reminders on how we can do this:
Close monitoring of symptoms (self check screening tool).
Reporting to the school nurse if your student is ill -- even on remote days.
Reporting to the school nurse when there is a confirmed case in your household.
Helping your student be successful by supporting and practicing the necessary behavioral expectations at school including frequent hand washing/hand sanitizing, maintaining appropriate distancing, and wearing a mask.
Maintaining physical distancing outside of the home whenever feasible.
Minimizing close, unmasked contact with people outside the household, especially when carpooling. A note from the CDC: ”If carpooling, plan on every student in the carpool and the driver wearing masks for the entire trip."
Be mindful of CDC guidelines for travel and self quarantining when recommended.
As a community that prioritizes health and safety, we must all do our part to adhere to the state health recommendations and regulations to control transmission and potential future outbreaks. Please let your school nurse know when your child has received their flu vaccine.
The Florence Sawyer School Virtual Backpack
Virtual Backpack Current Flyers & Form
- 2020-2021 NRSD Calendar
- Middle School Athletic Handbook
- Middle Level Athletics Rules
- MS Athletics Info
- 2021-2022 NRSD Calendar
- Extracurricular Activity Permission Slips
Health Services/Lunches/ Buses/ Extended Learning
- 2020-2021 Welcome Back Letter from Health Services
- 2020-2021-Health Screenings Opt-Out Parent letter
- 2020-2021 NRSD School Bus Medical Emergency Information Form/Van Pool
- 2020-2021 School Bus Medical Emergency Information Form-Dee Bus
- Medication Consent Form-Medication Administration Protocol
- NRSD Allergy Action Plan
- 10 Tips for LTA Students
- NRSD LTA IHCP for middle and elementary school
- LTA NRSD Letter
- FREE MEAL FAQ'S
- MySchoolBucks Lunch Account Information
- NRSD Free and Reduced Lunch Application 2020-2021
- School Messenger-Text Messaging Service