Valentines Day

By: Madeline Frushour

History of Valentines Day

The special holiday was founded after Valentine, a Christian priest, had been thrown into jail for his teachings. On February 14th, Valentine was beheaded not only for being a Christian and spreading the word of God, but also for performing a so called miracle. He supposedly cured the jailer's daughter of her blindness. The night before he was supposed to be beheaded he wrote a love letter, or farewell letter to the jailer's daughter signing the end with "From your Valentine" .

History of Flowers on Valentines

Flowers on Valentine's Day

After the death of St. Valentine people have shared their love for significant others, family, and friends on February 14th. The history of giving these significant others flowers began by the old fashion custom of sending floral bouquets to pass non-verbal messages. By the 18th century King Charles II of Sweden had introduced that each flower had a meaning behind it, meaning you could have an entire conversation without using words. The rose however is the traditional Valentine's day flower because it symbolizes love, but their are many different ways to communicate with flowers to those important to you.

Economical Impact of Flowers on Valentines

Flowers are one of the number one sales on Valentine's Day. In particular 196 million roses are sold each year around the time of Valentines. 64% of those sales were purchased by men and the other 36% were women. While men purchase them more for romantic reason, women purchase them to show they care for their mothers, friends, daughters, or even their loved one. Some women even treat themselves on Valentines.

Average Floral Valentine's Day Client

The average client of Valentine's day are typically males. They are usually looking for flowers for their significant other. They typically tend to buy roses but another common purchase is any type of pink flower considering the color corresponds to the holiday.