Lowell Memo: Issue #20
February 22, 2018
Published by Lowell School & the Lowell PTA
We have just ONE WEEK to go until JAMBOREE!!
Thank you to all who have sent in their forms and donations so far! As a reminder, all forms are due TOMORROW - FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 23rd, including pre-sale carnival and raffle tickets, candy grams, bake sale, and volunteer forms.
Jamboree is one of the most popular and loved events at Lowell! The only way we can make this event successful is with YOUR help! At this point, in order for Jamboree to run smoothly, we are in need of the following:
- VOLUNTEERS!!! We are in desperate need of people to help, especially on the second shift. Please consider donating your time. All volunteers will be able to collect their child's candy grams at the volunteer check-in table at the start of Jamboree. That alone is worth the time spent volunteering! In addition - if anyone is interested in helping to manage the food court, please reach out to Kristen Moore.
- BAKE SALE ITEMS - In the past few years, we have been able to average $500 at our bake sale! Right now, we have less than 10 people who have signed up to donate baked goods and/or supply treats for the Sweet Treats Walk. We are looking for at least 20-30 more people to send in some treats. This is an easy way to contribute to the success of Jamboree, if you are able.
- RAFFLE BASKET ITEMS - The baskets are coming together, but we are still looking for more items for many of the classes. We will be accepting items through Wednesday, February 28th. Please send these in to your child's classroom. For basket themes, check with your teacher or reference the list in your Jamboree packet.
- CANDY GRAMS - Unfortunately, we cannot accept any Candy Gram orders after tomorrow. If you would like to participate in Candy Grams, please make sure you get your order in! We are also looking for candy donations - full size candy bars or the equivalent are accepted!
We are looking forward to seeing everyone next Friday, March 2nd from 5:00pm-8:00pm!!
CULTURE FEST 2018
We are looking for families to present cultural tables on Friday, April 13th from 6pm to 8pm.
Please contact Andrea Koziarz at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to present a table or if you have any questions.
Please note the following dates for PACE testing!
- 3rd-5th Grade PACE Testing: March 6 & 7
- 2nd Grade PACE Testing: March 13 & 14
- Make-up Testing: Week of March 19
Grant information from Dr. Melton
Dear Lowell Community:
I am honored to be your child’s school principal and am dedicated to working with you, our teachers and support staff to do my very best.
As a principal it is my goal to make teaching and learning my primary focus. Everyone knows how day-to-day management tasks and outside distractions can take us away from our desired goals. As a result, many District 200 principals and I will be participating in a grant-funded opportunity and a nationally tested and proven professional development process called SAM. It uses a unique set of tools to help principals focus on activities that are directly connected to improving teaching and learning.
The first step in the SAM process is to determine how I currently spend my time at school. A data collector will “shadow” me for several days taking data every five minutes. The data collector will not interact with others and will try to be as “invisible” as possible so they do not change what I would normally do.
The data collector will carry a clipboard with a stopwatch and follow me wherever I go in the school throughout the day. The shadow will not speak or respond to anyone and will try to avoid eye contact so they do not become involved in our interactions. The data collector is scheduled to be at school on Friday, February 23 and Monday, February 26.
After data collection is complete I will receive the results and begin a process designed to increase the time I spend focused on instructional leadership to improve teaching and learning.
Thanks for your support in helping us best meet the needs of your children.
Dr. Kathy Melton
PS: You can learn more about the SAM process at www.SamsConnect.com
The annual Lowell 5K will be on Saturday, April 28, 2018!
Registration forms will be sent home before spring break. New this year there is also now an option for registering online at lowell5k.com. Whether you are a walker or avid runner, you don’t want to miss this family event! Cost for the race is $9 per person through April 11. After April 11, cost is $11 per person. Online registration includes a additional convenience fee of $1 per racer. Walk up registration on race day will be $15. Register by April 11, 2018 to guarantee a race shirt!
The following local businesses have agreed to continue to partner in sponsoring this event: Rockin Jump, Gorz Group, Bauer Orthodontics, Jericho Road Church, and Coyle Unlimited!
The following local businesses are new to sponsoring the Lowell 5K event:
B.R. Ryall YMCA, F45 Training, and Terrano’s Pizza and Pasta!
Thank you to all sponsors for making this event possible!
We are continuing to seek donations for our post race celebration, our raffle, and our runner goody bags. You may contact Natalie to if you would like to donate items for the raffle at email@example.com.
Looking forward to the Lowell yearbook??
Order forms have gone home, but additional copies are available in the office! Stop in to pick one up or call the office to have one sent home.
We thank you for not double parking on Illinois, in the car line, and in the surrounding neighborhood during arrival and dismissal to keep the children safe. Car riders should remain indoors until they are called; they should not be on the playground. We also thank all families for crossing Illinois Street at the corner. Safety for the children is our top priority!
View the District ESchool Bag!
Student Excellence Foundation
Support the Lowell PTA through Amazon.com!!
Bookmark this page for use anytime you need to shop at Amazon.com There are no price increases or fees for shoppers or Lowell PTA. Amazon funds the program as a fund raising opportunity for schools and organizations.