Ridgeview STEM Junior High School
May 22, 2020
Well we made it! The last day of the 2019-20 school year is finally here. What a crazy and surreal year it has been! It still seems like living in a movie and I am going to wake up and this is going to all be a dream. I would like to personally thank everyone from the students, parents, staff, district office and community for all of the hard work, dedication, support and kindness during these unique times. It is more appreciated than you know. We all hope your families are staying safe and healthy during this time and into the summer.
At this time, we have no current information to share about the upcoming school year. Once the district has a plan, we will communicate it out. This is my last newsletter at RSJHS. As it has been communicated, I will be transitioning to Diley Middle School to be their new principal next school year, and Mrs. Richardson will be taking over as the head principal here at RSJHS. Mrs. Richardson has been the lead principal for the past three years, and I have no doubt she will do a tremendous job.
Traditionally, at the end of the year we have an annual awards ceremony for both grade levels. Unfortunately, we were unable to do this in person this year. We still wanted to recognize our students, so we created an award ceremony video to view for both grade levels. We hope you enjoy the video. Congratulations to all the students who were recognized!
I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable summer. Stay healthy!
Eric M. Koch
Congrats to our 2020-2021 WEB leaders!
STUDENTS, please check your email (the one you used to complete the WEB application). There is a letter with more details and information that we need from you ASAP.
We are proud to announce the following students are our new WEB leaders: Rowan Ashcraft, Kayden Ayisi, Natalie Balko, Olivia Baumgartner, Abby Bechert, Rylee Bess, Brayden Blake, Ethan Brown, Kate Burre, Jason Channell, Gracie Chipps, Summer Ciotti, Hannah Clodfelter, Amelia Covey, Gabriel Cozart, Cadence Davis, Kase Dickson, Mattison Dunlap, Jai Easterling, Layla Edelsberg, Rebecca Goldstein, Leela Henry, Lillian Hopson, Gracie Horton, Preston Hudson, Jaylen Jackson, Rawan Jasim, Colin Jones, Ariba Khan, Emily Kratt, Lauryn Winters, Damona Lawson, Makenna Grimes, Harlem Martin, Sofia Martin, Mary Brick, Mason Mcclellan, Hayden Miller, Carley Monhollen, Kelso Muon, Chenai Mutsago, Julian Oconer, Makenzie Patrick, Riley Pool, Elaina Rex, Gabriella Rex, Alyssa Ritchey, Lillian Rodriguez, Jose Rojas-Guerrero, Molly Rowles, Grace Sander, Keirsten Scott, Raeanna Schumacher, Holly Siebert, Allison Tarrant, Amari Taylor, Mackenzie Tucker, Veronica Tuttle, Sonan Wagari, Madison Walter, Noah Weintraub and Regan Zinn.
Important Scheduling Info for Outgoing 8th Graders
We have begun scheduling for the 2020-2021 school year. We try to honor all student requests but sometimes that is difficult as it is dependent upon the staff we have to teach each class. Please look at your academic planner in Infinite Campus to verify what courses we will be scheduling you for.
These classes had too many students, and the indicated students were dropped:
Theatre Production 1 (9th and 10th were removed)
Foundations in Photography (Freshmen were removed)
Theatre Production 2 (9th were removed)
American Sign Language 1 (9th and 12th were removed)
American Sign Language 2 (students who did not meet proficiency or had D’s or F’s in ASL 1 were removed)
These classes have been cancelled:
Calculus and Discrete Math
The following Elective courses have room available. If they are not listed below, then they are at capacity and can not fit in any more students. If you would like to choose from the list below to replace the class you were not given, please notify your counselor of your request
Film & Genre Studies
Modern American Wars
Fundamentals of Actin
Actors Studio(prerequisite Fundamentals of Acting)
Intermediate Photo-Digital (Prerequisite Foundations of Photography)
Intermediate Sculpture (Prerequisite Foundations of 3D art)
Intro to Drafting
Intro to Video/TV
Intro to Eng Design
AP Comp science
If you want to add a non-elective course to your requests, please email your counselor. These courses will be added on a space-available basis. Please note that all CCP course additions must be approved by our CCP Advisor, Mr. Dean Sabetta (Dean_Sabetta@plsd.us).
Please note that this is not an opportunity for you to make random courses selection changes but rather an opportunity to choose a course to remediate master schedule conflicts. We will only make changes for students who are missing a core class or are substituting for a class they were closed out of.
These changes must be requested by June 1st but may not be reflected on the Academic Planner until Counselors return to work from summer break on July 28th.
Mrs. Dashner (last name A-E) email@example.com
Mrs. Perez (last name F-L) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs Brunner (last name M-Ri and Ro-Z) email@example.com
**Please Pay School Fees
URGENT-ODE Technology Survey
Dear Pickerington Parents and Guardians,
The Ohio Department of Education, in preparation for whatever the educational landscape looks like during the 2020-2021 school year, has asked that all school districts collect the following technology information from all students.
1. Does your student have access to a device (personal or school-issued) in order to participate in online/remote learning?
2. Does your student have access to the Internet when at home?
This information will help the Ohio Department of Education determine the best course of action with recent Federal funds to support remote learning.
Please fill out the below survey for each of your students separately. A reminder that the PLSD student ID# is the same as the student's lunch code.
Deadline for this information is Tuesday, May 26th
FYI - PLSD does have plans already in place for every K-12 student to have a PLSD issued device for the 2020-2021 school year. More information will be released at a later date.
STUDENTS KEEPING CHROMEBOOKS THROUGH THE SUMMER
- The PLSD Technology Protection Plan (TPP) will extend coverage through the first day of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Students will also have access to continue using District provided digital curriculum (i.e iReady, ST Math, BrainPop, ALEKS, etc.)
Chrome OS 81 has been pushed to all Chromebooks!
If you see a red caution sign on the little gopher in your menu bar, it is time to update your Chrome OS! Gopher Buddy will walk you through the process and provide additional resources by clicking on FIX IT . You will also be able to manually check for updates by clicking on your little gopher buddy in the menu bar or checking in settings.
Current Chrome OS is 81
This update may fix the following issues:
Power issues / not powering on
Internet kicking you off here and there
Other small software issues
If you are not able to update with Gopher Buddy or by updating in settings, partner with your teacher or media center to request tech support! We may need to update your device via USB if it is more than 3 versions behind.
-PLSD Chromebook Team
Summer Tech Support
PLSD technical support hours are changing for the summer. The team will take two weeks off before resuming office hours on June 10. After June 10, service hours will be offered every other week through July. The updated technical support schedule is below:
June 10th — 2:00 – 4:00
June 24th — 2:00 – 4:00
July 8th — 2:00 – 4:00
July 22nd — 2:00 – 4:00
Please note that after May 20th, support is limited to only the collection devices for repairs. There will be no troubleshooting onsite. Please use this link to register for service. As a reminder, only devices that are unusable may be brought in during technical support hours (e.g., broken display, won’t power up, dead battery, etc.).
Locker Items Not Picked Up Yet! Now By Appointment Only
Lost and Found Items! By Appointment Only
While the building is closed to the public, we can arrange a time for you to come look for your lost items. Please call ahead at 614-548-1700 to be sure someone is here to let you search.
Items not picked up by May 29th will be donated.
BUILDING “CLOSED” TO THE PUBLIC
Carolyn Weidner, Administrative Secretary; firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Holley, Athletic/Counseling Secretary; email@example.com
Beth Richardson, Principal; firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Boy's Golf?
2020 SUMMER ONLINE PHYSICAL EDUCATION PROGRAM
Those students entering 8th grade must have successfully completed Junior High Physical Education.
Please complete the registration form below first. Then login to your Infinite Campus parent portal to make payment. Click here for access to the parent portal, instructions for making online payment, and to submit a Help Desk ticket if needed. https://www.pickerington.k12.oh.us/parent-portal/
Click here for additional information. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I5lQPg6T2F6soCDGJc-1WL5xb49gwSpi/view?usp=sharing
- Online DATES: May 26, 2020 - June 17, 2020
- TIME: 9 a.m. - noon Monday-Friday
- COST: $175.00
- The program is only three (3) weeks and classes will run 3 hours each day to fulfill the required hours of instruction.
- Students will use Google Classroom, WeVideo and other technology tools to meet Ohio’s high school standards for physical education. The online platform requires students to manage their time and resources efficiently to learn new content and demonstrate the skill and literacy components of a Physical Education course.
- This course is not recommended for students who struggle with learning in an online environment. The timeframe is compacted compared to a traditional PE course and course requirements are challenging.
- Online payment available through Infinite Campus Portal. See instructions when you submit the registration.
- Students living outside the district will be enrolled if room exists at a cost of $225.00. Registration is limited and will be based on a first come, first served basis.
● Injured or severely ill students will have their case reviewed and may be eligible for a refund. ● If a student causes a problem in class they may be removed from the course with no refund. If a student violates a school rule they are subject to removal.
● We will have a waiting list if the classes fill to capacity. You must issue payment to be on the waiting list. If enough students do not enroll, this course will be canceled and refunds given.
● If a student is registered for the course and does not take it, a $25.00 processing fee will be assessed toward the refund.
● If a student fails to log in the first two days of the course, no refund will be given and the student will be removed from the class.
● The course must be completed by June 17. There will be no extensions or exceptions.
● Students must dress appropriately for physical activity, (athletic shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes). Students should keep their shorts up around their waist and t-shirts need to cover the stomach. Tank tops are acceptable but spaghetti straps/tube tops are not.
Nationwide Children's Mobile Unit Available Through June
Mental Health Resources
Did You Order a Yearbook? Did You Miss Out On Ordering?
Once they have been printed and delivered, we will relay the plans for picking them up. We will have some extra yearbooks available to purchase. Please contact the school if you are interested in being put on "Extra List" and we will do our best to get one to as many as we can. Be on the lookout for updates later in the summer through Infinite Campus and our Social Media pages. Thank you for your patience with this!