The Hardy Herald Week 18
Dates to Remember
- 1/29- Great Computer Challenge forms due to Mrs. Bradley
- 1/30 and 1/31- No school for students due to teacher work day and professional development.
- 2/4- Great Computer Challenge Tryouts
- 2/12- Report Cards Issued
- 2/17- President's Day- No School for Students
- 2/25- Girls on the Run start date
Mustang Shout Out
School Calendar Input 2020-2021 School Year
Isle of Wight County Schools is seeking input on the development of the school calendar for next school year. The division has created a draft calendar for community review and feedback.
The survey will remain open until January 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm. A final draft calendar will be shared with the School Board at their February 13 meeting, and they will vote to approve the calendar at their March 12 meeting.
HES BINGO Night Success
Second Grade SEARCH Students
These Second Grade SEARCH students are in deep exploration of animal populations who live in Australia. They are trying to find strong examples of animals that use some type of visual illusion or other adaptation to survive in their environment; animals that exemplify our unit It's not always what it seems! Each student will select an animal and collect data, becoming an expert who can inform the audience of his or her findings.
Hardy Elementary Archery Team
Click on the link to read more information about school archery programs.
Good luck to the following students at the Regional Archery Tournament at An Achievable Dream Academy in Newport News on Monday! The students are as follows: Elijah Burrell, Kaley Blythe, Braden Thrift, Emma Dvorak, Hollie Knight, Tanner Brobst, Kollin Hicks, Brennen Thompson, Paige Dewees, Ethan Wiles, Laila Boyd, Cynthia Tharpe, Trent Koszeniowski, Justin Riggans, Charles Miller, Aaden, Hernandez, Jacob White, Grace Sexton and Oliver Martin.
The Great Computer Challenge Tryouts
We are gearing up for another GREAT competition this year at the Great Computer Challenge (GCC) at Old Dominion University. If you have experience with using Desktop Publishing, Desktop Presentations, Internet Scavenger Hunt, Graphic Design, Block Coding or Video Editing and would like to serve as a coach, please contact Mrs. Bradley @ firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The GCC tryouts for Hardy are on Tuesday, February 4th from 4-5pm. All forms must be turned in by January 29th in order to be considered. Forms for 1st - 4th grade students are attached below. If your child is selected to participate, they must attend all practices AND demonstrate GREAT behavior. Practices are held each Tuesday from 4-5 PM. Dinner will be served to all participants.The competition will be on Saturday May 2, 2020 at Old Dominion University. Please click on the link for more information. http://education.whro.org/regional-services/for-schools/great-computer-challenge
GOTR at Hardy Elementary
Special Education Connection
Free and Reduced Lunch Applications
Important Connect 5 Information
Click on this link for directions on how to add additional email addresses to your blackboard account.
Want to receive this newsletter to multiple email addresses? Not receiving calls to certain phone numbers? Here's a solution.
Over the summer, our student information system, PowerSchool, went through a significant upgrade. One of the changes affected how contact information (phone numbers, email addresses) is stored in PowerSchool, which, in turn, impacted how Connect 5 pulls this information. We have been made aware that some of our families may not be receiving emails to primary, or multiple, email addresses, or possibly calls to certain numbers. These issues can be resolved by setting up a Parent Portal Account in Connect 5. To do this, you will need your child's school ID number to complete the process. Just follow the detailed steps on the attached document. If you previously created an account, it's possible that you need to associate your child to the account, or you may need to update your contact information. The document will walk you through those steps as well. If you have any issues creating or updating your account, please contact your child's school.
The School Counselor's Corner
What is ST Math
What is ST Math? Click on the link for a brief video description. ST Math is a visual math program that builds a deep conceptual understanding of math through rigorous learning and creative problem solving to deeply engage, motivate, and challenge Pre-K-8 students toward higher achievement. For more information on how you can help your child with ST Math, please click on the parent resource link. for resources.
Important Reminders and Updates
School hours are 8:55 AM -3:45 PM. Students can arrive starting at 8:35 AM. Students may not be dropped off prior to 8:35 AM. If you bring your child to school after 8:55 AM, you must escort them inside to the office and complete a tardy slip.
Please see nurse Nancy Cowan for prescription medicine intake. All medicine must be accompanied by a parent and include a physician’s prescription. Students are not allowed to transport medicine to school.
Please refer to the school district website for information on bus routes and times. Click on the following link for the most updated bus route information: https://iwcs.edliotest.com/apps/pages/busroutes
Breakfast is served in the classroom starting at 8:35 AM each morning. You may upload money onto your child’s account at https://www.k12paymentcenter.com/ or send in cash or a check.
Please don’t forget to complete and turn in the school lunch form. The class with the most forms submitted will receive a special treat from the cafeteria.
Mustang Behavior Expectations
Hardy Elementary is implementing a new systematic school-wide behavior program this school year. We are continuing our behavior expectations of Growth, Respect, Empathy, Accountability and Trustworthiness; however, we are specifically defining how these characteristics look in each location within the building (such as hallways, restrooms, offices, cafeteria, playground/school grounds, bus etc.).
- The G.R.E.A.T expectations document is based on a proactive behavior model approach which teaches the behaviors, reinforces and recognizes students who are able to model these behaviors and has systems in place to support students who have a difficult time or may present with more challenging behaviors.
- Behavioral expectations are clearly defined- GREAT- Growth, Respect, Empathy, Accountability and Trustworthiness- for various settings and taught to all students in the school.
- Once appropriate behaviors have been defined and taught, they are acknowledged in various ways on a regular basis. Specifically, the stable to purchase items or house points.
- Every person who works in the school is aware of the behavioral expectations and works to ensure students are consistently getting the same message, regardless of the setting they are in or the adult they come in contact with.
- Individual support is provided for students not responding to the school- wide system. Our school has a system for developing plans for individual students who may have a difficult time and need more support in a school setting. Parents will be notified if their child is in need of the above support(s)
Active support by all stakeholders is imperative. The entire school community is needed in order to make this system successful. Our new behavior system is a building-wide behavior program for establishing a positive school culture.
Reading and Volunteer Information
- We are always looking for volunteers to read to our kindergarten and first grade students. If you are interested in volunteering and reading with our students, please contact Linda Henk @ email@example.com
- Reading every day is very important for your child’s continued growth. Children that read for at least 1 hour a day will grow more than 2 years during the school year. Please encourage your child to read for at least 30 minutes (2 steps) a day. Click on the September edition of Building Readers for more information on how to help your child become a better reader.
- Attached below is a copy of the student handbook, school map and the most recent list of faculty and staff. Please click on the links below to download.
Hardy Elementary School
ST Math Login