Immune Cells Involved In Immune Response
How Virus Replicates
A healthy cell, normally a T-cell (white blood cell) becomes infected by an HIV virion (virus particle) and then produces many new virions.
- Get tested and know your partner's HIV status
- To prevent yourself from getting HIV there is PrEP, a medication that can stop the virus
- Have less risky sex
- Use condoms
- Limit your number of sexual partners
- Get tested and treated for STDs
- Talk to your healthcare provider about pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP)
- Don't inject drugs
Antiretroviral treatment keeps the levels of HIV in your blood low. It doesn’t get rid of it but lets your immune system recover.