WARNING; HOUSE FIRES
By: Elizabeth Amaya and Andrew Nash
What to Do in a House Fire!!!
Make Sure to Save Your Family First!!!!!!
How House Fires Start
- The number one way to start a fire is in the kitchen. When you are cooking make sure to turn off the stove when you are done. Keep an eye on the food while cooking. But, if you are having a barbecue outside, make sure to keep the grill a good distance from the sitting area and tables(about 10 feet).
- In 2010 heating equipment wasn't used properly and was responsible for about 57,000 house fires.Most of the time it starts in the chimney area,other times it could be the heaters.
- Improperly used electricity is the fourth leading cause of house fires. It is responsible for $817 million in the damage every year. Electrical fires also can start by frayed wires.
- Smoking is the fifth leading cause of house fires. Smoking kills 580 people a year and injures 1,280. If you do smoke (YOU SHOULD STOP!!) make sure to extinguish the cigarette before throwing it away.
2. About 100 firefighters are killed every year.
3. About 2 million fires are reported.
4. Cooking is the leading cause of house fires.
5. Every year more than 3,800 people die of house fires.
Vocab Words to Know
Fire extinguisher- A fire protection device that sprays foam and is used to help put out small fires
Oxygen- The air that we breathe. Fires need oxygen in order to burn