By: Slade Pate
Where is hydropower found on Earth?
Power that is from moving water in a river.
Power that is formed by moving water in a lake.
Power that is formed from the moving of water from ocean currents.
What are the uses for this energy?
Generating electricity without using fossil fuels or nuclear energy Well, that's the reason to generate hydroelectricity The uses of hydroelectricity are the same as any other form of electricity--your device can't tell the difference between hydroelectricity, coal electricity, natural gas electricity or nuclear electricity.
Are there products created through the use of this energy source?
Who uses it?
What are the advantages?
Here are seven advantages.
The advantages are:
- Once a dam is constructed, electricity can be produced at a constant rate.
- If electricity is not needed, the sluice gates can be shut, stopping electricity generation. The water can be saved for use another time when electricity demand is high.
- Dams are designed to last many decades and so can contribute to the generation of electricity for many years / decades.
- The lake that forms behind the dam can be used for water sports and leisure / pleasure activities. Often large dams become tourist attractions in their own right.
- The lake's water can be used for irrigation purposes.
- The build up of water in the lake means that energy can be stored until needed, when the water is released to produce electricity.
- When in use, electricity produced by dam systems do not produce green house gases. They do not pollute the atmosphere.
Questions for the people.
Which of the following is a cost of using hydroelectric power?
A) Water is a clean source of energy that does not create air pollution.
B) Building a reservoir to hold water for a hydroelectric plant can destroy natural habitats.
C) Increasing use of hydroelectric power decreases use of fossil fuels.
D) Hydroelectric power is a renewable resource powered by the sun.