for the week of May 16th
Dear Carnegie Professionals,
Thank you to the Mentor Teachers for hosting your MSU student intern. The MSU administrators and student interns were amazed with your instructional practices and commitment to our students. Job Well Done to a fantastic group of professionals. Now, lets put them to work for the 2016-2017 school year.
Congratulations to all the 7th grade students for doing a great job on the U.S. Constitution Exam. Their enthusiasm and excitement rang through the halls of Carnegie. Kudos to Mr. Murphy & Mr. Kelly! Job Well Done!
The teacher roster verification window opened on Monday, May 9th through Friday, May 27th. All teachers including Resource Teachers must complete the Teacher Roster Verification process. The deadline to complete the roster vertification process is Friday, May 20th. You can access the Teacher Roster Verification at http://portal.battelleforkids.org/chicago.
The Laynie Foundation will conduct a Diverse Learner Afterschool Workshop on Wednesday, May 18th from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. for all teachers and staff. Come and learn about meeting the needs of our diverse learners. Refreshments will be served.
REVISED: May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Ms. Adams has arranged for The Laynie Foundation to provide a continental breakfast and give away goodies on Friday, May 20th from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. in honor of Mental Health Awareness. Please stop by the 1st Floor Teacher's Lounge.
The Class of 2016 will take their class trip to Washington, D.C. on Sunday, May 22nd through Thursday, May 26th. Ms. Hegwood, Ms. Clark, Ms. Gordon, Ms. Willis, Ms. G. Brown and Mr. Bush will accompany students. A sub has been requested for Ms. Brown's class. Any 8th grade students who are not attending the class trip will be placed in Room 219 (Mr. Taylorl) for the week. Safe travels!
Dr. Brazier, pastor of Apostolic Church of God will visit our school on Thursday, May 26th at 9:30 a.m. We will visit a few classrooms and wall the perimeters of the building. We are working together to discuss additional funding and resources for our IB-MYP Program.
There are less than 10 days left until the Spring NWEA test for Kdg-7th grades. If we are to move from Level 1 to Level 1+, we must ensure that we maximize every instructional minute. We need all classes to meet or exceed their target Growth & Attainment goals. Teaching and Learning continues through June 21st.
White Sox Game Student Incentive:
- The Laynie Foundation has donated 50 tickets to the Monday, May 23rd White Sox game at 7:10 p.m. to Carnegie School. Each 3rd through 7th grade teacher will recieve 3 tickets. The teacher will award the tickets to the most desiring students in your class (i.e. attendance, grade, no infractions from resource teachers, most Classdojo earned, homework, quiet in the lunch line, good behavior, most improved etc.....). You are to submit the names of students to Ms. Adams firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 20th. Transportation to and from the game will be provided. So get your students excited about the White Sox game!
- The next Network 9 Attendance Challenge started on Monday, May 9th through Tuesday, May 17th current rankings: Carnegie 95.34%, Woodlawn 95.03% & Kozminski 94.93%. We can win 30 tickets to the White Sox game on Wednesday, May 25th from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. This Attendance Challenge will be for students in grades 3rd through 7th, as the 8th grade students will be in Washington, D.C. So, we need to obtain a 96% attendance rate on Monday & Tuesday to win the White Sox tickets. Let's encourage students to attend school each day. The winning school will be announced on Thursday, May 17th.
Girls On The Run (3rd-5th) and Heart and Sole (6th-8th) which meets on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:45-5:00 p.m. are preparing for a 5k race. The 5k race is scheduled for June 4, 2016 at Grant Park. If you are interested in running and/or walking, you may register http://5k.gotrchicago.org/central/event-details. The school bus will leave from Carnegie at 7:00 a.m. For additional information, see Mrs. D. Mitchell, Ms. Tambakos or Ms. H. Johnson.
Under the CTU collective bargaining agreement; the administrative transfer period during which teachers may transfer to another school without the consent of their current principal will take place on April 7th through May 30th.
Domain 1: Planning & Preparation
- There will be an IB Design Planning Meeting on Monday, May 16th, Tuesday, May 17th and Thursday, May 19th. All IB and Resources Teachers should attend. You will be compensated.
- Gradebook feedback for the week of May 9th-13th will be placed in your mailbox on Monday, May 16th.
Domain 2: Classroom Environment
- NWEA testing will be administered to 8th grade students next week. You are to limit hallway traffic on the 2nd floor. Let's ensure that during transition to and from Resource classes, that students voice levels are at 0.
Domain 3: Instruction
TRC & NWEA Spring Assessments will be administered as follows:
- 8th grades the week of May 16th (must be administered by June 1st).
- 3rd & 6th grades May 24th-May 31st (must be administered by June 1st).
- All other grades the week of June 6th.
- TRC testing window May 9th-June 15th.
- Kdg-2nd Grade Teachers: All strategic students must be progress monitored by Friday, May 20th. I fyou failed to progress monitor the intensive students, you are to ensure that you do so by Friday, May 20th.
- Performance Task EOY window opened on May 9 – Jun. 10. Teachers should administer the EOY task(s) to the same class(es) of students assessed at the BOY. If ordered, all testing material have been placed in your mailbox. You may also, download and print REACH PTs via the Knowledge Center. In the event of an audit, you are to file and retain all testing materials.
Domain 4: Personal Responsibilities
- 4th Quarter Progress Report will be distributed on Friday, May 20th. All grades must be input by Thursday, May 19th. Progress Reports will be placed in your mailbox on Friday afternoon. Please remember 75% or more of your students should receive a "C" or better in all subjects. If not, you are to reteach and retest.
- Ms. Gordon & Ms. Hegwood will attend an IB Workshop on Tuesday, May 17th & Mr. Murphy will attend on Wednesday, May 18th.
- There will be a grade-level meeting on Tuesday lead by the Team Chairperson. The focus of the meeting will be to complete the Roster Vertification process. You will need to bring your laptop to the meeting.
- Our attendance rate for last week was 95.34%. That's a .89% decrease from the previous week. Our school-wide attendance goal is 97%.
- REACH Component 4b-4e Procedures. Educators who will receive a summative rating following the 2015-16 school year are encouraged to submit evidence for components 4b-4e using one of the options explained below. This is especially important for the following groups of educators: PATs,Tenured educators on annual plans and Tenured educators in Year 2 of a biennial plan. Final 4b-4e evidence should be submitted in RLS on or about May 27, 2016. Evaluators provide final ratings in RLS on or about Friday, June 17, 2016. For more information, here is the direct link for the 2015-16 Guidance for Components 4b-4e.
All ESPs must be visible on school ground during morning entry. You must walk the perimeters of the school grounds. Walking the school grounds will help alleviate any potential student altercations prior to the start of school.
Discovery Education has selected Carnegie School for its annual "IMPACT DAY" on June 17th. Approximately 25 volunteers will work alongside with Mr. Filus to complete our outdoor Reading Nook and Playground area. Thanks Discovery Education!
Nearpod has selected Carnegie School to be featured and interviewed by ABC News Reporter. ABC News & Nearpod will spotlight several teachers and students implementing Nearpod Virtual Field Trip features as well as interview teachers and students; similar to the below video clip . More information forthcoming.
Nearpod News - Austin, TX
You are to send or email the names of your two classroom winners to Mrs. Roberson, email@example.com on or before, May 27th. Parent letters and additional copies of the word list will be sent home with students again. If you have sent your classroom winners to Mr. Roberson, please disregard.
Carnegie's Sports Competition
My Voice, My School Results!
Congrats Carnegie Professionals! The 2016 My Voice, My School results indicates that Carnegie School is WELL-ORGANIZED for improvement. The entire report will be shared with the staff at the next Principal-directed meeting. Our focus for the 2017 school year will be "Supportive Environment".
Highest Attendance Rate for April
"Spotlight on Instruction"
Extended Learning - Field Trips
Network 9 Attendance Challenge winners enjoyed a day of fun at Razzamatazz.