Athens High School
SENIOR NEWSLETTER & OPPORTUNITY BULLETIN
Help You Paddle
Admiral William McCraven gave the 2014 graduation speech at the University of Texas at Austin. I have listened to it numerous times. He speaks many truths that we could all stand to hear. I will leave a link below if you would like to listen and perhaps, hopefully you will listen to his advice and apply it to your own life as you step out into the world.
---[ THINGS TO DO ]---
Cords & Stoles
The cords and stoles listed below are approved to be worn at graduation and awards day. Any other cords or stoles that are NOT approved may be worn at Baccalaureate, Graduation Walk and for pictures before graduation, but must be removed for the ceremony. You may purchase them from the sponsor of each organization and for $15 from the Guidance Office for the honors endorsement cord.
Gold cords- Honors Endorsement
Gold Stoles- NHS
White Stoles- Beta Club
White Cords- SCA
Multi- Color Cords- NAHS
Gold & Blue Cords- Quill & Scroll
Blue & Golds Cords- FBLA
Blue Cord- Tech Program Completer
Silver Stole- Nat'l Tech Honor Society
Red & Gold Cord- NSHS
Red & White Cord- FCCLA
Red, White & Blue- JROTC
Maroon Cords- HOSA
Royal Blue & White Cord- Rho Kappa
Light Blue & White Cord- Interact
If you are attending a college, university or technical school in the summer or fall, you must send a FINAL transcript. Request online now through June 30th on Parchment at no cost, linked below.
Mrs. Russell will be announcing names at graduation. Please let her know in advance of how to pronounce your name if there is any question AND if you would like any part of your legal name not announced. Otherwise, your full legal name on your birth certificate will be used.
---[ MARK YOUR CALENDAR ]---
Passing out of Cap & Gown
Friday, May 3rd, 11:30am-1:45pm
Make-up cap & gown pick will take place on Monday, May 6th during lunch. The same requirements must be met to receive your cap & gown.
*MAKE UP* Graduation Videos
Tuesday, May 7th, 11:30am-1:45pm
Senior Awards Day Practice *Mandatory*
Wednesday, May 15th, 9:30am
AHS Competition Gym
Senior Breakfast *Mandatory*
Thursday, May 16th, 7:45am
SENIOR Exam Schedule
Seniors will be permitted to exempt final examinations for Spring 2019 if they have a passing grade prior to the exam. However, if the exam is needed for a passing grade/credit issuance, our expectation remains that the student must take the needed exam. In addition, seniors wishing to take their exam(s) with the expectation that they can improve their overall final class average are encouraged and welcome to do so with no penalty.
The tentative schedule is as follows:
SENIORS NEEDING EXAMS:
May 17, 2019, 1st & 2nd Block Exams @ Regular Times (Grades Due By 4pm)
May 20, 2019 3rd & 4th Block Exams @ Regular Times (Grades Due By 4pm)
May 21, 2019 Credit/Standards Recovery & Makeup Exams available by Appt.
May 22, 2019 Credit/Standards Recovery & Makeup Exams available by Appt.
Senior Baccalaureate & AHS Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Seniors
Sunday, May 19th, 6pm
Graduation Walk *Mandatory*
Monday, May 20th, 8:15am
Monday, May 20th, 10am
AHS Media Center
Graduation Practice *Mandatory*
Thursday, May 23rd, 10am
AHS Football Stadium
Class of 2019 Graduation *Mandatory*
Thursday, May 23rd, 7pm
AHS Football Stadium
Going Merry (www.goingmerry.com) is an awesome new scholarship website - it makes applying to scholarship easier! Just click on theis link to get started.
Achieve Alabama helps connect students through the State of Alabama with the school that best fits their needs and with scholarship opportunities that will enable them to pursue their goals and dreams.
All scholarships and special opportunities will be listed here in chronological order. This section will continue to grow throughout the year. Keep an eye out as new information is listed. If you see a scholarship that you are interested in and need an application, those are available in the scholarship box in the Guidance Office.
- The Athens High School Alumni Association is offering two scholarships for students who will be attending an accredited school upon graduation. Applicant GPA must be between 2.0-3.0. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is May 3, 2019.
- The AHS Athletic Booster Club Scholarship is available to seniors who have participated in sports during high school. You must have a 90 GPA or higher and be attending college in the fall of 2019. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is May 10, 2019.
- Enter the Suntrust Off To College Scholarship Sweepstakes for a chance to win one of 30 $500 scholarships. Two $500 scholarship winners will be randomly chosen every two weeks. You can enter once each drawing period from September 10, 2018- May 13, 2019. Enter to win at www.suntrust.com/offtocollege.
- The Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship Program will award scholarships to students all over the nation who have financial need and have exhibited integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity. Must be attending a college or technical program in the Fall of 2019 and be Pell Grant eligible. To apply go to www.application.horatioalger.org. Deadline is June 15, 2019.
- MG Law Office is offering a great scholarship opportunity that we want to be sure that your students are aware of and have the opportunity to apply for. The scholarship is available for high school seniors. To enter, you must create a 45-60 second video advertisement on the dangers of drunk driving. The winning ad will be selected based on quality, usability, effectiveness, creativity, and helpfulness to warn people about the dangers of drunk driving. The application can be found at https://www.mg4law.com/nationwide-scholarship/. Deadline is July 1, 2019.
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL GRADE LEVELS
- The Auburn University Summer Youth Camps are filling up fast. Most of camps are first-come first-served and we don't want you to miss out. Explore the opportunities by visiting the Auburn Youth Program Website.
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville will host a summer Reading Skills and Speed Reading Program for preschool- high school age students. Call 1-800-903-0623 to register.
- Calhoun Community College will host the 14th annual Summer Welding and Electrical (SWeETY) Camp this summer for girls entering 9th-12th grade. The camp will be held June10-13 and will include four days of welding, electrical technology and additive manufacturing projects. Camp registration will be limited to 21 participants and cost $10. GO to https://calhoun.edu/events/SWEETY.
- Get a "dose" of the pharmacy world at the Ole Miss Pharmacy Summer College Pre-Pharmacy Program (apply by June 1) For more information, visit pharmacy.olemiss.edu/summer-programs.
- The University of North Alabama's Anderson College of Nursing hosts a two day Aspiring Nurses Camp for rising 11th & 12th grade students. More information and applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is May 5, 2019.
- The 10th Annual Alabama Lions High School Leadership Forum will take place at Troy University June 21-23, 2019. More information is available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is May 24, 2019.
- The University of Alabama's Early College Summer on Campus 2019 is available to students grades 9-12 who have completed the UAEC200 class. It is an opportunity to live on the University of Alabama's campus for one month in June or July and take 2 courses for college credit. More information is available by calling (205) 348-7083 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is May 11 for the 1st term and June 18 for the second term.
- The Army Educational Outreach Program offers the STEM Apprenticeship Opportunities for High School Students. Visit www.usaeop.com for more information.
Please fill out in order for me to write the best letter of recommendation possible.