The Cougar Connection
Weekly Update for Families - October 27, 2022
Office Hours 7 AM - 3:30 PM
Attendance Hotline 913.993.7245 (All Day)
Attendance Office 913.993.7242 (Partial Day)
From Dr. Gruman
Dear Northwest Families,
We are excited to enjoy the talents of many in our theater program as they present their fall play, Ghost Hunt - this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 7 pm. Tickets are $10 or free to current NW students with their school ID. We hope you can join us!
Congratulations to our Boys' and Girls' Cross Country Teams - they both qualified to compete at the State Meet at Rim Rock Farm outside of Lawrence this Saturday! Best of luck to all of our runners!
Below are a few quick reminders as we approach the month of November:
- If your child is interested in playing a sport in our winter season, they will need to have a completed physical on file prior by November 11th.
- November 2nd is the deadline to register for an AP exam: AP Registration Information.
- Families of seniors - Check college application deadlines for early decision if your student is interested in applying for early decision. Those deadlines are typically set at November 1st ,or November 15, or December 1st. The early decision application may affect the availability of scholarships and financial aid offered by more competitive schools, we encourage you to check their websites for more details.
- Families of seniors - There is still ample time before the regular decision applications. The application for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is now open. Reach out to students services as questions arise.
- Please take a moment to review the notes from the Nurse below for some important reminders.
Have a wonderful weekend!
All the best,
Dr. Lisa Gruman
Saturday, Oct. 29th, 3-5pm
12701 West 67th Street
StuCo is hosting this annual free Halloween event in the west student parking lot for our SMNW feeder elementary students!
From Student Services
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opened October 1st!
Go to www.studentaid.gov
- November 2nd—AP Exam Registration Deadline
Academic Enrichment is open to ALL students grades 9 - 12 in the Library.
Teachers are available to support students in Math, English, Science and Social Studies from 2:50 - 3:50 pm. The late bus will depart at 4:00pm. Encourage your student to take advantage of this great academic support opportunity!
Academic Enrichment Dates 22-23
From the Nurse
Vaccination Still NEEDED! Next Exclusion Date 11/28/22
Please be sure to turn in all your completed vaccination documentation. Please email verification of a completed MCV4 vaccine (meningitis ACWY, not meningitis B) for all juniors; this also includes any missing immunizations that you have received an email about. A dose for the meningitis ACWY is required at 16 years of age (regardless of receiving this same vaccine in middle school). Email vaccination records to email@example.com
SENIOR parents interested in purchasing a senior tribute in the 2023 yearbook please go to yearbooksforever.com to secure your spot in our Senior Tribute section. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Paying Online with eFunds
2022 - 2023 Online Fee Payment:
- Follow link www.smsd.org/families/pay-fees
*** Fees for first semester elective classes are due along with the Resource, ID and Participation fees. Contact the bookkeeper with questions.
Breakfast at Northwest
Regular Days: Breakfast is served from 7:15 – 7:35
Late Start: Thursday breakfast is served from 8:15 – 8:45.
Meal Benefits: Families can apply on https://www.schoolcafe.com/SHAWNEEMISSION.
For families who do not qualify for meal benefits, payments for school meals can be made by sending cash or check to the school, online at eFunds or by phone by calling the Food Service office at 913-993-9710.
Food service information is available on the district’s website at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service.
Angelo Giacalone - Athletic Director, Victoria Alvey - Athletic Secretary, Dan Fletcher - Athletic Trainer
Friday, October 28 FB Varsity Playoffs vs. Blue Valley West @ BVW
- Visit our Athletics Website for schedules of upcoming events: https://smnwcougars.com/
DS Bus Lines
**All bus riders must register to ride the bus:
To register or pay for busing visit DS Bus Lines website.
Sign up for Textcaster Alerts here to receive text messages.
Contact DS Bus Lines at 913-384-1190 with any questions.