Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School February 4, 2019
Spotlights and Reminders:
NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELING WEEK: We are fortunate at Silver Strand Elementary to benefit from the services of passionate and dedicated counseling staff. Thank you to Adam Sayre, School Psychologist; Sophia Frost, Clinical Counselor and ERMHS; and MFLCs Gia Del George and Davida Price for the care and support of our students and site!
FEBRUARY IS BLACK HISTORY MONTH. At Silver Strand Elementary School, we are committed to seizing opportunities to learn about, better understand the experiences of, and empathize with members of our community and their unique backgrounds and experiences. African Americans have contributed to and enriched the culture and evolution of this country, and this month we celebrate and recognize those contributions and achievements. Why do we have a designated month for this recognition? Because while this nation is hundreds of years old, for the majority of those years, African Americans were prevented from equal participation in our society and from the opportunities for advancement. The people of African American descent you know are likely to have family members who easily recall this time and who had direct experiences with institutionalized racism or segregation. This is also a month to honor the ways that African American people have persevered despite legal, economic, and social challenges, to contribute to ALL aspects of this country’s rich culture. We use this month to raise awareness and to seek to better understand the experiences of those around us and to avoid assumptions and stereotypes.
Winter Enrichment Clubs are in full swing, with Garden Club and Heartlight Dance still accepting participatnts. Click here for calendar and descriptions.
Our Winter MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) testing window extends into February. Kindergarten and 1st graders test in math only; 2nd through 5th graders also test in Reading and English-Language Arts. Score reports will be provided by teachers after testing is complete. For more information about MAP testing, click here.
The Coronado Optimist Club is sponsoring their annual Speech/Oratorical Contest for students of ALL ages on Wednesday, February 27th from 3:30-6:30 on the topic "Is There a Fine Line Between Optimism and Reality?" Please see application materials here.
- This week’s theme is EMPATHY: Empathy means to FEEL WITH SOMEONE and demonstrate that we are available to listen and understand as best we can. Help your child imagine the experiences and perspectives of their peers and family members.
Silver Strand Safety and Security Support from Karen Pierro
Happy February! In a continued effort to keep all of our Silver Strand community safe, here are a few safety tidbits for our families:
- Helmets are required for all bike and scooter riders. These riders also need to walk their bike or scooters across any crosswalks.
- Cell phones: please refrain from texting while in the drop-off area, whether driving or walking.
- Staff parking spots have been designated and marked in the main lot. Please use the unmarked spots in the rear of the lot if you are a parent visitor coming on campus.
And lastly, PLEASE continue to use caution and patience with rainy day pick-up.
Thanks & stay SAFE!
Student Council News
- Student Council is planning more exciting events for spring! Stay tuned!!
- Thank you to PTO for hosting the Family "Masquerade" Dance on Friday--Voyagers young and "older" got their boogie on!
- Next PTO Meeting is February 14 after dropoff.
- March's Family Fun Night will be a Lip Sync Contest--save the date: March 1!
- Buy your Silver Strand Yearbook for $20 here: https://bit.ly/2qREOAc
- Please help us populate our yearbook with photos of our students and events by posting photos you take throughout the year at http://sw.balfour.com/tops-services/publicupload/loginForm; Enter project number 925811
Thank you to our parent volunteers who put our yearbook together!
Calendar of Upcoming School Events
THIS WEEK: NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELING WEEK
MON 2/4: MAP Testing
TUES 2/5: MAP testing
WED 2/6 : MAP Testing
THUR 2/7: MAP Testing
FRI 2/8: FRIDAY FLAGPOLE
NEXT WEEK: Short Week/NO SCHOOL FRIDAY
MON 2/11: 6:30-8:30 PM, CHS Theatre: SAFE presents: The Life of Kids Online--What You Need to Know
THUR 2/14 8:15 AM PTO Meeting
FRI 2/15 NO SCHOOL/Presidents’ Weekend
ON THE HORIZON:
2/18: NO SCHOOL/Presidents’ Weekend
2/21: Spring Open House
2/23: Coronado's Got Talent Show, CHS Theatre
Coronado School Foundation Events and Updates
Coronado’s Got Talent Show, presented by Alan Kinzel Realty Group and Donna Salof, is February 23 at the Coronado Performing Arts Center. All proceeds from ticket sales benefit Coronado Schools Foundation www.csfkids.org.
Support our programs through donations to CSF here: https://csfkids.org/
Mark your calendars for these upcoming events:
Thursday, March 14, 4:30-9PM: CSF Telethon
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
- Monday February 11, 6:30-8:30 PM in the CHS Theatre: Presentation on "The Life of Kids Online and What Parents Need to Know"
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/