Cri-du- chat ( cat cry syndrome )
by: Tanner Lewis
factś about this disorder
- This is a syndrome that affects newborns of all genderś and race. The child is not getting the disorder from their parentś, itś not inherited. Another name for this disorder is called 5p- ( minus ) syndrome
- The child getś this disorder when a piece of their chromosome 5 is missing. There are no prenatal tests for this it mostly occurs on its own.
- The symptom´s from this disorder is a high-pitched cat-like cry, mental retardation, delayed development, distinctive facial features etc. The deletion occurs most often as a random event during the formation of reproductive cells.
questions asked about this disorder
- Could this disorder have been prevented? If so, how?
there is no known prevention. Couples with a family history of this syndrome who wish to become pregnant may consider genetic counseling.
- What population is affected? Can anyone be a candidate for the disorder?
all ethnic backgrounds , any gender can get this disorder and any race.
- The name of this syndrome is french for ¨cry of the cat¨. Doctors most often identify cri - du - chat by the infants cat - like cry. Other signs are microcephaly, poor muscle tone.
- can this child have children if so will this child be affected, i can not find an answer for that but if the child can have children it might not get this disorder because it is not inherited
Cri du chat