New Britton Elementary - January 15, 2016
Dear Bulldog Families,
We have rescheduled our PTO meeting for Tuesday, February 2nd at 7:00. Dr. Combs and other members of our Central Office Staff will be in attendance to share information regarding HSE21 and the 1-to-1 iPad implementation at the elementary level for the 2016-2017 school year. You will not want to miss this opportunity to learn more about the amazing possibilities the near future holds for our teaching and learning. Please RSVP below to ensure that we have ample seating available.
The HSE21 Best Practice Model is the road map for our staff development during our half days, staff meetings, and Professional Learning Community meetings. The HSE 21 model includes Student-Centered Approaches, Cognitive Curriculum, Fundamental Classroom Conditions, and Transfer of Learning. Today's professional learning focus was math problem solving and using a workshop approach. Our goal is to further develop our teaching strategies in order to facilitate deep learning and application and transfer of knowledge to authentic tasks.
Science Fair is quickly approaching! Project proposals are due January 20th. There is still time to create questions and draft a proposal. Please use the following link to access science fair details https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P_y4ZZN6T9bqQTq0thWEdDZ5FJ7QgVw4RTBemTAtsQM/edit#heading=h.r5bdf5y5krxv .
We have Monday off in recognition of Martin Luther King, Jr. and his accomplishments as a Civil Rights Activist. There are many great children's books regarding Martin Luther King Jr. and other leaders in social justice. A trip to the library would be a wonderful weekend activity.
As always, thank you for partnering with us in education. Have a wonderful 3-day weekend!
*Rescheduled* HSE21 and 1 to 1 Roll-out Presentation
Tuesday, Feb. 2nd, 7-8:30pm
8660 East 131st Street
Please attend the PTO meeting on February 2nd at 7:00 p.m., as Dr. Combs and the HSE Central Office team present information on HSE21 and the 1:1 iPad roll-out for K-4 elementary grades. If you are unable to attend, please watch this quick video and visit the links below to learn more about our HSE 21 initiative. Please RSVP here so that seating accommodations can be made.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Attention Science Fair Participants!
It’s time to finalize those science fair project ideas! Here’s what you need to do:
- Step 1: Go to the New Britton website and click on Science Fair 2016 Information & Registration (or click here)
- Step 2: At the bottom of the information sheet click on Project Proposal –please complete online.
- Step 3: Complete Project Outline Form
If you need a paper copy of the Project Outline Form, please contact your child’s classroom teacher.
Don’t forget Project Proposals are due January 20.
Science projects are due February 18th!
Winter weather is near!
In the event of a delay or cancellation, all families will receive an automated message from HSE Transportation Director Jim White via our Skylert system. The message will arrive by both a phone call and an e-mail. Parents also may opt to receive a text alert through Skyward/Family Access. To login, please click on the following link: https://sis.hse.k12.in.us/scripts/wsisa.dll/w
HSE Social Media
Social media has become our fastest way of sharing school news. Weather-related school updates are available on the HSE Twitter feed and Facebook page. Students, families and residents are encouraged to join our more than 10,000+ "followers" at https://twitter.com/HSESchools and join our Facebook family at www.facebook.com/HSESchools. Not on Twitter or FB? Access both directly from the HSE website at www.hse.k12.in.us.
Local Media Outlets
Television and radio stations remain a traditional way to share school weather announcements. HSE posts school delays and closures to the following media outlets:
- WQME - 98.7FM
- WHBU-WERK-MAX, WLBC - 104.1FM
- WEDJ - 107.1FM Radio Latina
- WIBC - 93.1FM
- WSYW - 810AM
- WISH-TV 8
- WXIN (Fox 59 & CW4)
- WRTV (6)
- WTHR (13)
Child Find Information
What to do if you suspect a disability/Child Find:
If your child is age 2 ½ through 21, attends any school within the Hamilton Southeastern Schools boundaries or you live in our community, and you suspect your child may have a disability, you should contact us for more information.
- For children at least two and a half years of age, but not yet age-eligible for kindergarten, you should contact the Early Childhood Assessment Team at Brooks School Elementary School, 915-4250.
- For students who are eligible for kindergarten through age 21, you should contact your child’s teacher, school counselor or building administrator to discuss your concerns and explore the steps to be taken. If your child is not enrolled in public school, you should contact the counselor or building administrator in the building your child would attend if enrolled.
RtI is a general education initiative designed to provide high quality instruction and interventions matched to student needs, and using learning rate over time and level of performance to make important educational decisions. The RtI model is based on a three-tiered model of service delivery with a focus on early intervention and prevention of academic and behavioral concerns. Data collected during this process provides valuable information regarding students’ educational progress and response to interventions. Students who do not demonstrate a response to well-implemented, scientifically-based interventions at the Tier 3 level would be referred for an educational evaluation to determine eligibility for special education. RtI is a component of HSE’s Child Find Process.
Catch of the Week
Be there. Be present. Listen carefully to others around you. Be involved with others around you. We practice the FISH philosophy at New Britton: Be There, Make Their Day, Choose Your Attitude, and Play Safely.
The following students are being recognized for exhibiting these elements of FISH philosophy in their classrooms last week:
Kindergarten: Gabby Brown, Dylan McIntosh, Gracelyn Martin, Chrishawn Starling
First Grade: Emas Rahmen, Chaney Ferris, Yasi Patel, Alex Koo, Katie Brinkruff, Claudine Greener
Second Grade: Vasavi Katuru, Danny Tlatoa-Moyotl, Jonah Paul, Josie Daniels, Melanie Aguilera-Samano, Meredith Chaney
Third Grade: Royce Bandy, Ian Stone, Aleene Rinehart, Musheer Mohammed, Aubree Stahl, Duran Bell
Fourth Grade: Eleanor Wolfe, Zaynab Idrees, Aden Weir, Surya Logeswaran, Ashlei Reeves, Cole Wilson
- Science Fair is February 18th. Project forms are due January20th. If you are interested in helping with the project approval process, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to do this on January 22nd in the cafeteria during movie night.
- After school enrichment had been scheduled for February 22-26th. If you are interested in helping please contact Kelly Mason.
- Our PTO meeting has been rescheduled to February 2nd at 7pm. Dr. Combs will be speaking at the rescheduled meeting. The topics that will be discussed will have an impact on each family with elementary students.
Have a great weekend!
Community Activities & Events
- S.P.O.R.T.S News
- Fishers Parks & Rec 2016 Fun Guide
- Hamilton East Public Library Fishers February programs
- Hamilton East Public Library Noblesville February programs
- Hamilton East Public Library K-12 programs
- National Winne the Pooh Day Celebration
- Dragon Pottery program
- Fishers Parks and Rec DIY Pintrest Craft
- Fishers Parks and Rec travel tips
- Fishers Parks Valentine's Day program
- Fishers Parks & Rec Couples Night Out
*Permitted use of school newsletters as required by the Equal Access Act is not an endorsement of this group or this group’s beliefs by Hamilton Southeastern Schools or the Board of School Trustees.