4th Grade Weekly Happenings
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of September 22
Welcome to the 4th Grade!
We're off to a great start - thanks for your support!
Reanna & Elizabeth
What Are We Learning This Week?
- Sequencing and summarizing
- continue beginning of year individual reading assessments
- Sitton List 4 - Spell Check on Friday 9/26 in class
- Skill Focus: /s/ sound spelling patterns - s (sit), ss (bass), sc (scare), se (seven), c (cell), ce(ounce), ci (city), cy (bouncy)
- Skill Focus: prefixes & suffixes
- Wrapping up Unit 1 - Multiplication & Division
- Starting measurement
- Continuing Texas regions flip-book
Science: Properties Matter
- Measuring temperature
- Exploring solutions and mixtures
- Breaking down the writing process: prewriting (brainstorming), drafting, revising, editing, and publishing
- Blue worksheets handed out on Monday 9/22 and due next Monday 9/29
- Note that math homework is meant to be practice of skills that have already been learned at school. Parents are welcome to help with homework as needed if you are willing and able, but this is not a requirement or expectation. If your child tries hard on an assignment but is getting upset/frustrated, you can send me (Elizabeth) an email or a note about the difficulty and I can help your child during school as needed.
- Online Reading Log & Questions - read 80 min / week (an average of 20 min/night for 4 nights) and answer this week's comprehension questions. Reading log & questions need to be completed only ONCE per week with total minutes for the week. If your child is unable to access the homework online or using an internet-abled device (smart phone, tablet, etc), please have them request a hard copy by signing up in the classroom no later than Wednesday to allow for printing.
- Study Sitton List 4, given in class on Monday 9/22 and checked in class on Friday 9/26. List can also be found in your child's travel binder behind "spelling" tab, by clicking the link directly below, or a soft copy is available on the Our Town website under "Spelling Homework".
- Spelling Worksheet handed out in class on Monday 9/22 and due Monday 9/29 - an in-depth look at how the letter combinations s, ss, sc, ce, ci, or cy are used to make the sound /s/ (as in snake). *It is completely fine (even encouraged) to help your child with their weekly spelling worksheet! English is a complicated language, which makes spelling an exceptionally complicated skill that can best be learned by exposure, practice, and help from those who have been spelling longer :).
School Grading Policy
Our current week
- red specials day (library for Weltzin's homeroom)
- math worksheets due to math teacher
- spelling worksheet due to reading teacher
- reading homework due (logged online by 5:00 Sunday 9/21 or hardcopies turned in during class today)
- orange specials day
- Unit 1 post-assessment in math class
Wednesday 9/24 -
- yellow specials day
- green specials day (library for Eddy's homeroom)
Friday 9/19 -
- blue specials day
- Spell Check over Sitton List 4
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Daily Schedule page on our classroom website.
On the Horizon - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
- Progress reports sent home (ONLY students who have averages of 70% or below will be receiving a progress report)
- Watch Dog Night 6:00-7:00 in the cafeteria
- Destination Imagination applications due to Eileen Delisi, Campus QUEST teacher (see below for more info)
- Fall Picture Day
- Early Release Day - 12:00 Noon
- End of First Nine Weeks
- Staff Development Day, NO SCHOOL for students
- 4th Grade Veterans' Day Play - daytime performances for grade levels, parent/family performance at 6:00 pm.
Monday - Friday 11/24 - 11/28
- Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2
- Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
- End of Second Nine Weeks
AUTHOR EVENT/BOOK SIGNING - RJ Palacio, Author of "Wonder" & "365 Days of Wonder: Mr. Browne's Book of Precepts"
Saturday, Sep. 27th, 4pm
2701 Parker Rd
Round Rock, TX
Looking for something different to do with your son or daughter? Check out this opportunity!
We have been reading RJ Palacio's first novel, "Wonder", as our first class read-aloud, and the students LOVE it! We have laughed together, had insightful conversations about issues raised in the book, and will soon shed a few tears together. There are very few books that we've come across that are as impactful on this particular age group as this book, and the students just can't get enough. Her second book, "365 Days of Wonder: Mr. Browne's Book of Precepts", was released last month, and Ms. Palacio is on a book signing tour scheduled to stop at the Round Rock Barnes & Noble this coming Saturday! It's a great opportunity for students to come in contact with a real, live author.
Wristbands will be required to get books signed.Wristband distribution will begin Monday, September 22 at 9:00 am. Books must be purchased at B&N. Call the store at 512.600.0088 for more event details.
Need a Little Reminder from Time to Time?
Help us help you by subscribing to "Remind" - a service that strives to help students succeed by keeping the lines of communication open between teachers, parents, and students.
Please subscribe to our Remind messages by texting @eddyweltz to (562) 246-8878.
The Explanatory Fine Print:
Texts will be limited in frequency and serve as important reminders of upcoming events/deadlines or last minute schedule changes due to inclement weather or other unforseen events; primary and detailed info communication will continue to come via weekly 4th Grade Happenings updates. While the "Remind" service is free, standard data-messaging fees may apply as determined by your mobile service carrier. You may unsubscribe at any time by replying STOP to text feed. Service is courtesy of Remind.
Elizabeth Weltzin - @eweltz
Reanna Eddy - @educator_eddy
Elizabeth & Reanna