Dangers from tobacco
you're a fool if you think smoking is cool
- More than 16 million people already have at least one disease from smoking.
- More than 20 million Americans have died because of smoking since 1964, including approximately 2.5 million deaths due to exposure to secondhand smoke.
- 8.6 million people live with a serious illness caused by smoking.
- On average, smokers die 13 to 14 years earlier than nonsmokers.
- worldwide,tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year,and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.
- Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, accounting for more than 480,000 deaths, or one of every five deaths, each year.
- 18.1% of American adults are current smokers.
- Current smokers are defined as persons who reported smoking at least 100 cigarettes during their lifetime and who, at the time of interview, reported smoking every day or some days.
chemicals in tobacco smoke
- There are over 4,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke and at least 69 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer.
- these cigarette ingredients include nicotine ,tar ,and carbon monoxide ,as well as formaldehyde,ammonia,hydrogen cyanide ,arsenic , and DDT.
WAYS TO QUIT
- support groups
- chew hard candy