BSE Bear Bulletin March 31, 2016
Spring break April 1st-8th.
Brooks School Parents and Families,
Happy Spring Break and safe travels to all of BSE. The break is well deserved and we look forward to greeting our well rested bears back here on April 11th. When we return we have less than 7 full weeks of school before we finish the 2015-2016 school year.
I want to personally thank all of you who continue to support your child/children at home and at school. With your efforts, our teachers' energy and a cooperative desire for their success, we will certainly achieve! Have a wonderful break and see you in a week!
Lunch and Rotation Schedule for Upcoming Week(s)
Week of April 11, Week 1 on lunch menu
- Monday, 4/11 - Day 5
- Tuesday, 4/12 - Day 6
- Wednesday, 4/13 -Day 1
- Thursday, 4/14 - Day 2
- Friday, 4/15 - Day 3
Week of April 18, Week 2 on lunch menu
- Monday, 4/18 - Day 4
- Tuesday, 4/19 - Day 5
- Wednesday, 4/20 - Day 6
- Thursday, 4/21 - Day 1
- Friday, 4/22 - Day 2
Please share with your friends and neighbors that Kindergarten Round-Up this year is:
April 14th from 5:00-7:00p.m. in the BSE café. Children must be 5 years old by September 1st, in order to be eligible to attend kindergarten.
We are pleased to announce that we are now accepting enrollments for new students online. If you have a child that will be in kindergarten next year, or attending HSE schools in another grade level you may begin filling out the enrollment forms online. Please use the following link for more enrollment information: http://www.hse.k12.in.us/ADM/enrollment/
HSE 1:1 Initiative Update
A revised plan for the 2016-2017 roll-out of iPads for K-4 is now in place. After processing concerns both supporting and opposing the 1:1 roll-out, the School Board approved the following recommendations at their March 23rd meeting. The recommendations that were approved include:
1. Rental costs for iPads will be reduced from $125 to $90 beginning with the 2016-17 school year, and further reductions in textbook and other fees will be recommended for approval later this spring. Payment plans are available through eFunds.
2. The emphasis on the use of devices will be on creation or production, not consumption or passive entertainment, and the devices will only be used as an instructional tool. All elementary buildings will have the following guidelines:
* Devices are not to be used at recess – indoor or outdoor.
* Devices are not to be used at lunch.
* Devices are not to be used on the bus.
* Devices are not to be used for gaming, only for instructional or productive purposes.
3. Devices purchased by families will be allowed to go daily back and forth between home and school. Parents in K-2 who rent the device and desire to see it brought home on a regular basis may opt for their children to do so by written communication with the child’s teacher. The devices will remain at school for those who do not wish for them to travel back and forth daily and will only be used during the school day. Teachers will collaborate with their respective parents to organize take home events at points during the school year.
4. Advisory Councils will be established – one for K-4, 5-8, and 9-12. The councils will consist of a parent and teacher from every school as well as building and district level administrators and school board members. The councils will meet quarterly to provide feedback and insights on the implementation of 1:1 throughout the district.
5. Procedures will be put in place where teachers will send home information with a student when apps are added throughout the year. The information will include the name of the app, the purpose of the app, a screen shot of the app, and a link for parents to click on to check out the app on Common Sense Media – a site that gives information about apps.
Look for additional information to come to you throughout the coming months. We look forward to a successful third (and final) phase of the Hamilton Southeastern Schools 1:1 initiative.
BSE Bears Create, Construct, and Apply their thinking!
MakerSpace - Construction Zone OPEN
Still in need of MakerSpace items!
Feel free to send any of the items listed below to the office marked "Makerspace". Thank you in advance for donating and helping to supply the space for your child(ren)!
White glue/glue sticks
Nails and Screws (in various sizes)
Scotch Tape / Electrical Tape / Duct Tape
Balsa Wood and Craft Wood scraps
Colored Foam Sheets
Non-Drying Modeling Clay
Screw Drivers (Philips and flathead)
Paint Brushes (various styles and sizes)
Plastic Mason Jars with Lids
Legos (all colors, sizes, and shapes)
BSE Staff Enjoys "Real Time" Training at HSE21 Learning Fair
FISHERS TRI-KAPPA GARAGE SALE
Plan to attend the Fishers Tri-Kappa Garage Sale on Saturday, April 30 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon at the Fishers Junior High Gym (13257 Cumberland Road). Items from more than 70 families include furniture, housewares, sporting goods, toys, books, jewelry, adult and kids clothing, etc. Tax deductible donations are also accepted. Call (317) 409-0098 or (317) 777-3714 for pick up. Proceeds from the sale provide funding for local charity, cultural, and educational initiatives.
PTO Committee Opening for 2016 - 2017
Are you interested in getting more involved at BSE? The PTO has open committee spots for next school year. Some are a one-time event, while others are spread out with small activities throughout the year. Email email@example.com if you are interested in hearing more about what’s available!
Spring 2016 Registration Update - Baseball, softball, soccer, boys and girls lacrosse have limited openings. Once divisions have reached capacity, a waitlist will be started. Rugby registrations will be accepted with a $10 late fee until March 31. Track and field and boys volleyball registrations are still being accepted with a $10 late fee. Contact the S.P.O.R.T.S. office for more information or visit our website, www.hsesports.org.
Fishers-HSE Baseball – Opening Day for Fishers-HSE Youth Baseball is April 23. Bring out your family and enjoy a full day of fun including entertainment by My Yellow Rickshaw , Pitch-Hit & Run Competition, Food Vendors, Local Mascot appearances, Family Games and Activities, Fireworks show, and of course a FULL day of Baseball! Event runs 12-4 p.m. with fireworks at 9:30pm.
S.P.O.R.T.S. Boy’s Volleyball is still taking registrations for boys in 4th – 8th grade! Practices/games will take place on Sunday afternoons for six weeks starting April 17. Click here for more information.
Southeastern Rugby –
Practice is in full swing for the 5/6 and 7/8 teams, but it's still not too late to join. Late registration ends 3/31. The Flag team starts practice on 3/22, and the online spirit wear store is open until 3/22. Season starts 4/17! Go to rugby.hsesports.org for all the details.
S.P.O.R.T.S. Girl’s Volleyball is seeking board and committee members. There are a variety of open positions with varying time commitments. The season is ten weeks, mid-August to mid-October and ends before fall break. If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Janet Berg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
High School Boys Volleyball Youth Night – Fishers High School Boys Volleyball is hosting the Mudsock Match against Hamilton Southeastern on April 21. All youth will be admitted free and boys in the S.P.O.R.T.S. volleyball league are encouraged to wear their team t-shirts. The JV game begins at 6:00 p.m. with the Varsity beginning at approximately 7:15 p.m. There will be a youth serving contest between games with prizes! Click here for more information.
Summer Sports Camp
Summer Sports Camp information is now available online. Below is the link:
Fishers Parks & Recreation Invites Community to Flock the NPD
You know what the lawn flamingo means, we’re having a party! Join Fishers Parks & Recreation to celebrate Arbor Day in a meaningful way. Residents of all ages are encouraged to decorate a flamingo for a chance to win. Flamingos are available to purchase for $3 at the Fishers Parks & Recreation office and are due back, decorated to the amphitheater between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. on Friday, April 29. The community is invited to the amphitheater starting at 7 p.m. that evening to vote on the best in the following categories:
- People’s Choice
- Best Youth (up to age 10)
- Best Teen (ages 11-17)
- Best Adult (ages 18+), and
- Best Arbor Day Theme
Winners will receive a $50 prize pack complete with items from DICK’S SPORTING GOODS and Fishers Parks & Recreation. There are a few rules, so parents, we encourage you to visit www.Fishers.in.us/ArborDay to avoid disqualification. Share photos of your flamingo using hashtag #FishersArborDay for a chance to be featured, and be sure to pack a blanket and stick around for a free movie at the amphitheater that night. Movie details can be found at www.Fishers.in.us/Movies.
Copyright © 2013 Fishers, IN. All Rights Reserved.
1 Municipal Drive, Fishers, IN 46038