Regions of The U.S.
Linking Climate to Vegitation
The south is very warm because it is closer to the equator than most of the other states in the U.S. It is also very humid and very rainy. Very very rainy. The wet and humid climate is what gives the south its beautiful vegetation. It also causes floods and when it does flood it is a lot. Oklahoma alone gets an average 30 inches per year, and Louisiana gets an average of 60 inches per year.
Linking Resources to Industry
Most people see the south as a big rural region. They don't see the long line of important industries. it started with textile mills making all kinds of fabric. Most of these mills were built on a fall line, which is the imaginary line between the Appalachian's and the Atlantic Coastal Plain. That's when, in 1901, the oil industry in the south began. By the 60's and 70's the region became pretty wealthy with all of the the oil they were bringing in. They then moved on to taking oil out of the gulf which gave them another boost.
A Changing Region
Change has been the most identifiable characteristic for the south.
- Continued growth of Industry
- many industry's in the south were originally from the north. Now the southern region is mainly an Ag based industry region.
- The sunbelt
- The south had thousands of job opportunities and still does. That is how come hundreds and hundreds of people moved to the south. Some of the new reasons people are moving to the south is because of tourism, and the south has perfect climates for just that. The sunbelt, band of cities in the south and the west with tourists attractions, is were most of the tourism spots are located.
Between the 70's and the 90's there was a 20% increase in the southern region, or about 7 million people. That is the most of any region in the U.S. at the time.
- A varied Population
- Over half the nations African Americans live in the south. Another fast growing population in the south is the Mexicans, moving mainly to Texas. Also Miami has big population of Cubans, most moved there after the communists takeover in their homeland. Finally, many white southerners are originally from France, England, Ireland,and Scotland.
- Major Cities
- The south has very large cities. Miami is the gateway to The Caribbean and South America. Atlanta is now a major trading industry since Hurricane Katrina destroyed the city. Houston is very big also on trading, mainly oil, and Texas cattle. The nations capital in Virginia, considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world.