Titan Talk Newsletter
August 17, 2018
IMPORTANT CALENDAR CHANGES
Thursday, Oct. 4th is a SCHOOL DAY - STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL.
Tuesday, Nov. 6th is a TEACHER WORK DAY - NO SCHOOL for Students.
Friday, March 8, 2019, is a SCHOOL DAY - STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL.
Upcoming Dates in August...
- 8/20 & 8/21 - Soccer Try-Outs (7th grade & 8th grade only)
- 8/22 - Jr. Beta Mtg @ 8 am (Media Center)
- 8/22 - Dads Club Deliver Breakfast to Teachers from 8 am to 8:15 am - UberEats got Nuthin' on Our Dads Club!
- 8/22 - CURRICULUM PARENT NIGHT @ 5:30 PM IN GYM
- ANNUAL TITLE I PARENT MEETING - ALL FAMILIES WELCOME! PRINCIPAL'S STATE OF THE SCHOOL
- PTSA GENERAL MEETING - BUDGET
- MEET YOUR CHILD'S TEACHERS - WALK YOUR CHILD'S SCHEDULE
Upcoming in August...
- 8/28 - "Get Ready for 8th Grade Year" a Parent University Workshop (English) @ 6 pm in the Media Center
- 8/30 - FCA Club @ 7:45 am...Bring Your Parent to FCA Day! (Media Center)
- 8/30 - Student Council @ 8 am (E-106)
- 8/31 - 8th Grade Band Night @ RHS ﴾11595 King Rd, Roswell, GA)
- 8/31 - FULL RELEASE DAY - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
REQUEST FOR FLEXIBILITY (RFF) DAYS - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
The approved Elkins Pointe RFF Days are as follows:
- August 31, 2018
- November 16, 2018
- February 19, 2019
What does RFF mean?
RFF means Request For Flexibility and these are the days that the Elkins Pointe School Governance Council (SGC) set aside to be used for Professional Development (PD). Each SGC picks dated that work best for them and submits them to the Fulton County Schools District. RFF Days have been approved by the District. On those days teachers and staff report to school for a full day of training. Students do not have school on RFF days. RFF days are considered part of the school year because teachers and staff are participating in training for student success.
IMPORTANT DATE CHANGES - CALENDAR CORRECTION & FCS CALENDAR CHANGE
CORRECTION - CORRECTION - CORRECTION
OCTOBER 4th, 2018 is a SCHOOL DAY.
NOTE: October 4th has been misprinted in the Back-to-School Guide and on the Google Calendar on the Elkins Pointe website as a day off for students. October 4th is a Fulton County and Elkins Pointe school day. Please send all students to school on October 4th. We apologize for any inconvenience.
CHANGE - CHANGE - CHANGE
NOVEMBER 6th is a now TEACHER WORK DAY.
MARCH 8, 2019, is a now SCHOOL DAY.
NOTE: This change in the calendar year was issued by the District to accommodate Election Day on November 6th. This revision will not change the total number of instruction days for students. If your family has made travel plans, please email the principal to be considered for an excused absence.
Message From the Principal
Happy Friday Titans!
It is only the second week of school and we have accomplished so much. Our 6th-grade students have settled in nicely, and our 7th and 8th-grade students are back into the swing of things. R.I.S.E. UP is our motto and we are definitely moving forward rapidly!
Students were respectful and excellent as we deployed devices today. Each student was paired with a device. Although we could not send the laptops home due to a technical issue, students will be ready to pick right back up once the correction is made. Our IT Department has assured us that they will make our students' laptops a priority on Monday. It is important the student laptops are in the best condition possible. We thank our students for being individually responsible and safe today!
Next Wednesday, August 22nd is our Curriculum Night which includes the Annual Title I Parent Meeting with State of the School address, and a PTSA General Meeting. This once-a-year evening begins at 5:30 PM in the Gym. We invite and welcome all families to join us at the State of the School where we will share our students' growth and plans for the 2018-2019 school year. Immediately following the meeting, the bell will ring and parents will follow their child's schedule. This is your opportunity to meet with every teacher.
I would like to take a moment to thank the PTSA and the many, many parent volunteers and the Dads Club for all of your help this week. Thank you also to our EPMS Device Deployment team, Jennifer Newman, Susan Rickson, Norma Toner, Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles, Marcie Suckow, and Vani Jacobs.
Have an excellent weekend, and I look forward to seeing our families next week at Curriculum Night!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
SMART, HAPPY, AND CONNECTED
Our Speech Therapists Are in the Zone!
If you're feeling in the BLUE ZONE (sad, tired, bored), take a look at our bulletin board and it will be sure to get you in the GREEN ZONE (happy, focused, feeling good)! We are in the YELLOW ZONE (excited, anxious) about sharing information about all of the Zones of Regulation to help the staff and students at Elkins Pointe Middle School! We hope you stop by and see it - located at the entrance of F Hall, near the media center... If you don't, we'll be feeling in the RED ZONE (angry... not really, but you should still take a look)!
Fire Drill Safety is Not Just for the Birds!
Titan Binder Build...Smiles, Supplies, and Student Success!!
Surprise & Delight for Teachers & Staff
The PTSA and our parent volunteers have a SURPRISE & DELIGHT in the Teacher Copy/Workroom! Our awesome parent volunteers, Gina Young, Caroline Wallace, Melissa Gamm, spent three hours cleaning and HGTV Design on a Dime decorating. The Elkins Pointe PTSA, Allison Liguori, Kimberly Lawrence, Kim Washburn, Kristin Kelley arranged for the sweet treats and sodas to help fuel the teachers and staff thru Device Deployment!
Thank You! Thank You to Our Parent Volunteers!
Thank you to all of our Back-to-School Packet Volunteers!
Adriana Daniel, Amy Smith, Ashlee Jaeggi, Christy Jimenez, Danna Lively, Heather Harmon Jennifer DeSpirito, Jo Pascual, Joe Delikat, Katrina Dupouy, Kelly Burke Pierce, Kim Friedman, Lynne Siders, Meredith Keifer, Michelle Leatherman, Shana Davison, Shuna Norton, Tracy Shealy.
Thank you to all of our Device Deployment Volunteers!
Adrienne Giddens, April Schadt, Ashlee Jaeggi, Carlton Washburn, Caroline Wallace, Cliff Pelloni, Corey Robinson, Craig Lampert, Dave Mainella, Eric Ferris, Gina Young, Jill Thacker, Katrina Dupouy, Kelly Ross, Laura Moore, Melissa Gamm, Ruthie Ellis, Shirley Marchek, Wanda Pelloni, jay Aldy
We are so appreciative of your help!
THINGS TO KNOW
⚽ Soccer Try-Outs - 8/20 & 8/21
Extramural Soccer Try-outs are 7th & 8th grades only. Try- out dates are 8/20 & 21 from 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm. There is no cost to play. Students should report to the gym after dismissal. Pick up is at 5:30 pm in the front of the building.
Forms to Must Be Completed to Participate in Athletics:
- GHSA Concussion Awareness Form_Rev-2018.pdf
- GHSA Pre- Participation Physical Form.pdf
- 2018-19 Intramural Registration.pdf
- FCS Transportation Release 2018-19.pdf
- FCS Emergency Contact Form 2018-19.pdf
- FCS Application to Participate 2018-19.pdf
- Insurance Verification 2018-19.pdf
Practice Schedule: August practice M,T,Th,F 4:15-5:15 and September practice will be M,T with games on W and F. Thursday will be used to rest as they have games W and F.
If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Coach Guzman at
CURRICULUM NIGHT - ALL PARENTS INVITED - 8/22 @ 5:30 PM
CURRICULUM NIGHT - STATE OF THE SCHOOL - ANNUAL TITLE I PARENT MEETING
IMPORTANT DATE: WEDNESDAY, AUG. 22, 2018
ALL PARENTS & FAMILIES ARE INVITED!
• 5:30 - 6:30 PM - STATE OF THE SCHOOL / ANNUAL TITLE I PARENT MEETING
- Principal Smith's Welcome Address
- Title I Annual Parent Meeting - Goals, Curriculum & Budget
- TAG - AVID - PBIS
- PTSA - Membership, 2018-2019 Campaign & Budget Vote
- Class schedules will go home with your child on Aug 22. Please check their backpacks!
- Your child's first-period class will be posted in the school in the event that you do not have your child's schedule. The first period-teacher will have the schedule. Please try to be on time for the first-period class if you do not have your child's printed schedule.
- You will follow your child's schedule. Each period will last for 10 minutes, with a 3-minute classroom change. Parents will visit all 8 periods and WINN class.
At the Annual Title I Parent Meeting Principal Smith will welcome our families and present the "State of the School" address. During the Classroom Visits, parents will be able to "walk their child's schedule,' meet the teachers and learn about the Curriculum in the classroom.
Jr. Beta - 8/22
- Chair: Ms. Micheaux White
- Location: Media Center, unless there is a conflict in the Media Center in which the meeting will relocate to Ms. White's classroom.
** ALL STUDENTS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!!
CALLING ALL DADS, CALLING ALL DADS - 8/22
We're putting out an ALL CALL for dads to come out for our first Dad’s Club event. Wednesday, August 22, 2018, is a long day for the teachers and staff at Elkins as that evening is our Curriculum Night. We would like to help all of the teachers in the morning so that they can win the day.
We need dads to arrive at EPMS on Wednesday, August 22, 2018 between 8:00 am and 8:15 am in their Dad’s Club gear (if you have it; if not we'll get it to you!). And we will be going around to each of the teachers and staff members classrooms and/or offices to deliver them donuts and coffee/juice, or water. This event should not take more than 30 – 40 mins as dad's divide up and spread out across the different grade level halls. If you are willing to join us for the opening Dad’s Club event please email school counselor Mr. Will Jones email@example.com who is heading up the Dad's Club with a confirmation that you will be participating in the event.
Team Up Raffle Prizes - 8/22
THANK you to all of you who have Teamed Up With The Titans so far this year! We have raised 85% of our goal to support over 35 enrichment and support programs for our students and teachers in 2018/19. If you haven't had a chance yet to participate - please click here or stop by our table next week at Curriculum Night on August 22. Also, if you donated online, please stop by to pick up your magnet and membership cards. Raffle prizes will be drawn that night and every donation and new member is entered to win!
8th Grade Info Night - Parent University - 8/28 (English) & 9/4 (Spanish)
"Get Ready for the 8th grade Year" Parent Meeting will be held on two different nights in two different languages.
- 8/28 @ 6 pm in the Media Center in English
- 9/4 @ 6 pm in the Media Center in Spanish
This meeting includes the Savannah trip info and a brief description of how to prepare yourself and your 8th grader as you prepare to get ready for high school.
Bring Your Parent to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) - 8/30 @ 7:45 am
Student Council - 8/30 @ 8 am (Room E-106)
The first Student Council meeting will be on August 30th. All students from ALL GRADES are invited to participate in Student Council. The Student Council is seeking students from 6th-grade, 7th-grade, and 8th-grade to be involved in our school. Student Council is composed of elected and non-elected students. Please come and be part of our school's voice!
Chair: Mrs. Malikah Williams
Student Council starts on Aug. 30th at 8 am in Rm# E-106 and will meet on the first and third Thursday of each month.
Exceptions: Clubs will NOT meet during Georgia Milestones, or when conflicting with another event, NO SCHOOL/SCHOOL CLOSED, or when announced by the chair.
STAR HOUSE 9/4
STAR House for the 2018-2019 school year will begin on Tuesday, September 4th. The program runs from 4:15-5:30pm, Monday through Thursday. There is also sweep bus transportation if you live at/near any of the stops. STAR House focuses on giving students a safe place where they can complete their homework, as well as an opportunity to increase their literacy skills through a specialized curriculum that STAR House has purchased. If you are interested in having your child participate, please pick up an application form in either the Front Office or the Guidance Office (application forms are in both English and Spanish). STAR House is open to any Elkins Pointe students in grades 6-8.
REFLECTIONS CONTEST - Entries Due on 9/21
The PTA Reflections contest is designed for the creative child that likes to:
- Draw, paint, make sculptures or mosaics
- Write stories, poetry or lyrics
- Compose their and play their own music
- Choreographic a new dance and perform
- Take photographs using a camera or videos on a smartphone or iPad
This year's theme is: "Heroes Around Me." Students are invited to creatively interpret the theme by using one of the methods listed above.
Entry forms were given to WINN Teachers in their mailboxes. Students who are interested may get the form from their WINN, ELA or Connections teachers. Also, parents can download the rules and the forms below:
- Click http://www.georgiapta.org/reflections/ to download entry forms & contest rules
- Entry forms rules can also be picked up at the front desk or in the Media Center
All Reflections entries must be turned into the front office by Sept. 21st! Questions: Email Sarah Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6th Grade Dance 2018 Volunteers
Calling ALL 6th Grade Elkins Pointe Parent Volunteers! The Elkins PTSA would like to invite you to help us with making the 6th Grade Dance a huge success! The dance will be held on Thursday, September 20th after-school from 4:00 -5:30 p.m. We need help with Ticket Sales, Set-Up, Clean-Up, etc. The more people volunteer, the easier it becomes!
Please read through the following slots for availability and don't hesitate sign up!
If you have any questions, please contact Meghan Fox atMegFox225@gmail.com
NOTE: ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST COMPLETE FCS VOLUNTEER TRAINING.
TEAM UP WITH THE TITANS
JOIN, DONATE, and TEAM UP with PTSA!
How to Join & Donate?
1) Donate and join online at the EPMS PTSA website: http://elkinspointe.my-pta.org/
2) Mail a check to:
Elkins Pointe PTSA Treasurer
11290 Elkins Road
Roswell, GA 30076
3) Visit the PTSA tables during Curriculum Night. PTSA accepts cash, checks and credit cards
Did you know?
- Elkins Pointe PTSA is a 501(c)(3) organization, which means all donations are tax deductible.
- You do not need to be a PTSA member to donate to the Enrichment Fund.
- You can donate to the Elkins Pointe PTSA through your company’s annual giving campaign, including recurring payroll deductions.
- Many companies match contributions to 501(c)(3) organizations.
- Grandparents can join too! The National PTA offers a 15% discount to AARP.
- We can help answer questions. Email us at email@example.com
TITLE I TIDBITS
Upcoming in September...
- 9/3 - LABOR DAY HOLIDAY - SCHOOL CLOSED
- 9/4 - STAR House start date for 2018‐2019
- 9/4 - Prepárese para la reunión de padres del octavo grado en español @ 6 pm (Media Center)
- 9/5 – Soccer Game: Sandy Springs vs. EPMS @ 5:30- 6:00 pm (EPMS)
- 9/6 – FCA @ 7:45 in the Media Center
- 9/6 – Executive Board @ 8 am (PTSA Executive Board Only)
- 9/6 – PTSA Committee Meeting @ 9 am
- 9/6 - Student Council Club – ALL GRADES INVITED @ 8:00 am (Room E‐106 )
- 9/6 - Kiwanis Luncheon Honoring Roswell Cluster TOTYs @ 11:30 am to 1:30 pm (The Mill Kitchen). Congratulations to Rawlings Emory Johnson, EPMS TOTY for 2018-2019
- 9/7 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/7 - Interact Meeting @ 7:45 am in E114
- 9/7- Soccer Game: EPMS vs. Ridgeview @ 5:30 pm to 6:00 pm (Ridgeview Charter School, 5340 Trimble Rd NE, Atlanta, GA﴿
- 9/8 - 6th Grade Band Start-Up Clinic @ 9 am to 12 pm (EPMS)
- 9/10 - SSA (Dr. Griffin) @ 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm (Media Center)
- 9/12 - Jr. Beta Club @ 8 am in the Media Center
- 9/12 – Soccer Game ‐ Hopewell vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (EPMS)
- 9/13 - FCA @ 7:45 am in Media Center
- 9/13 - 6th Grade Bring Your Parent to School Morning (1st & 2nd periods) from 9:00a to 10:30a
- 9/14 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/14 - Interact Club Meeting @ 7:45 am (Rm# E‐114)
- 9/14 - 8th Grade Night @ Milton HS w/ Band & Chorus Students (Students zoned for MHS are invited to participate at the MHS vs RHS game with the Marching Band & Chorus)
- 9/16 - Spirit Dining @ Peach & the Porkchop ﴾12040 Etris Rd Ste D100, Roswell, GA). Dine at, order Doordash, or take-out the Peach and the Porkchop and they will give a percentage back to EPMS! The Peach & the Porkchop features Southern comfort food & "Northern-style" sandwiches.
Peach & the Porkchop Menu: peachandtheporkchop.com
Phone: (770) 6965409 / Reservations: opentable.com
Order: doordash.com, seamless.com, grubhub.com
- 9/19 - Fall Picture Day
- 9/19 - Katha Stuart Mtg @ 9:30 am ‐ MES
- 9/19 - Soccer Game: Crabapple vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (Location: 10700 Crabapple Rd, Roswell﴿
- 9/20 - 6th Grade Tailgate Party from after-school to 5:30 pm (EPMS in the cafeteria). Tickets are $5
- 9/20 - FCA @ 7;45 am in the Media Center
- 9/20 - Student Council Club @ 8 am (E‐106)
- 9/21 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/21 - Interact Club Meeting @ 7:45 am (Rm# E‐114)
- 9/24 - REFLECTIONS ENTRIES DUE ‐ PTA CONTEST
- 9/26 ‐ Soccer Game: River Trail vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (Location: River Trail Middle School, 10795 Rogers Cir, Duluth, GA ﴿
- 9/26 - Get Connected Night @ 6 PM... Featuring PTSA STEM Activity, Food, Clubs, Activities and more (Cafeteria & Atrium)
- 9/27 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 9/28 - WEAR EPMS/COLLEGE SWAG - SCHOOL PRIDE DAY @ THE POINTE! Order Spiritwear HERE!
- 9/28 - Soccer Game: Northwestern vs. EPMS @ 5:30 pm (Location: EPMS)
- 9/29 - AVID Day @ GA Tech 2018