All About Iran

A Look Inside


Iran is a middle-east country located in between Iraq, and Pakistan. Iran is a very interesting country to learn about, and this flyer will tell you facts and figures all about Iran, as well as taking a look on Iran's discriminating and crime issues.

Facts and Figures

Here are some facts and information about Iran. People who live in Iran are called Iranians. Recognized groups who live there are Muslims, Christians, Jews and Zoroastrian. The population is about 78 868 711. The major cities are Tehran,

Mashhad, Esfahan, Karat, and Tabriz. Iran borders the Gulf Of Oman, The Persian Gulf and The Caspian Sea. The climate is very hot and arid. The terrain is rugged with mountains, small plains and deserts. The national flower is a tulip, the bird is a nightingale, the language is Arabic, and a popular emblem is the lion and the sun emblem. The green band on the flag represents Islam which are Muslim's religion, the white band represents peace and purity, and the red band represents courage, bravery and valour. The white Arabic script along the red and green band say "Allahu Akbar" which means "God is Great".

Discrimination Against Women And Religious Minorities

Many countries discriminate against people, but Iran is a country that discriminates against women and religious minorities. Most people think of this is wrong and extremely unfair, but in Iran, a women's life is valued only half as much as a mans, and they use that reason to discriminate. In Iran, a women is obligated to wear clothing that covers themselves. They are supposed to wear a hijab which is from the Islamic religion, and they are not allowed to wear tight clothing. They must not wear make-up, except for their own husband, and if they do not follow this appearance guideline, they are allowed to be beaten and for a fact is condemned to 74 strokes of the lash. However, a man in Iran can whatever they like without being beaten. Women are not only discriminated against for their appearance but for others too. If women are married, they require their husband's permission to apply for a passport because they believe that they need the man's permission to leave. There are unfair laws that let men break laws just because they are men, but women get severe punishments. 98% of the people in Iran are Muslim, while the other 2% is of religious minorities. The recognized minorities are Zoroastrian, Christian, and Jews. These minorities are allowed to practice their religion, but with the limits of the law meaning that they cannot do everything like they are not allowed to become MP. Unrecognized minorities, such as Bahai's are not allowed to even practice their religion at all because they are an unrecognized minority group, and they are not allowed to vote neither become MP. Atheists do not even legally exist in Iran so they must declare faith in one of the four groups.


Despite their efforts to control the measure, Iran still suffers drug problems as they have one of the highest opiate drug rates in the world. Iran is still a shipping route for Heroin to Southeast Asia. Iran also has an increasing problem in man-made artificial drugs; about 90% of the drug abuse rate is from men! Almost all the opium Iran has is from their neighboring country Afghanistan, as there is a short route transit from Iran to Afghanistan. The main drugs people use there are heroin and opium. Iran also has crime issues in human trafficking. The common ages most people are being trafficked is 13-17 years. Very little are trafficked at 8-10, but people that young are usually forced to work as maids. Women are forced and kidnapped into brothels. Most people are trafficked in northern Tehran or other major cities. Punishments for drug abuse and human trafficking both are severe, with one of the highest excecution rates the world.