Grizzly Gazette- 10/11/21
West Briar MS School Updates: Week 8
Cycle 2 is in full-swing. Hard copy Report Cards went out on Friday, but you are always able to access student grades- in real-time- from your Parent HISD Connect account. There are some fun October activities coming up and this newsletter should help preview them all.
Let's make it a great week to be a Grizzly!
- Friday, 10/15- Westside HS Homecoming Parade
- Monday, 10/18- Fall Pictures (info below)
- Friday, 10/22- Pink Out Day (Breast Cancer Awareness)
- Monday, 10/24 - Friday, 10/29- Red Ribbon Week (activities TBA)
Westside HS Homecoming Parade
The parade begins at 1:30pm at the corner of Briar Home/Briar Forest, then takes a left on Parkway Plaza. The parade participants will make a right on Westerloch (past Barbara Bush students) and then left on Briar Circle. Once they come back down Westerloch they will be close to the West Briar fence.
Barbara Bush students will have their students lined up on the sidewalk and West Briar's 8th grade students will come out to watch the Parade at 1:45pm.
The West Briar/Westside Community is welcome to come watch the festivities!
Fall Picture Day- Mon, October 18th
Online Ordering: mylifetouch.com
- Using your student's Student ID or Picture Day ID: EVTRXDXHH
Students must be in dress code on this date, however are allowed to bring a school-appropriate out of dress code top for their pictures. They will simply return to their dress code following their picture time.
School Appropriate Dress Code Guidelines
- Shirts- must have sleeves and cannot be sheer or low-cut
- Shirts- do not have to be grade-level color or solid
- Pants- no sweatpants, fleece pants, pajama pants, spandex pants, etc.
- Pants- cannot be oversized, undersized, tight-fighting
- Skirt/Skort/Shorts length must be longer than 3 inches above the knee
- Clothing may not have ornamentation which is disruptive or offensive.
HB 4545 Parent Letter
The HB 4545 Parent Letter is also found in each student's HISD Connect Portal where parents can also fill out this form.
- Completing Forms in HISD Connect Parent Portal Link & embedded below.
*Accelerated Instruction (tutoring) will only be provided to students in content areas that they Did Not Meet Grade-Level Standard on the 2021 STAAR Test or the TEA BOY Assessment.
Student Arrival Reminder
Ready-Set-Go Updates- Oct 11
- Students and staff who are in the same class as a COVID-19 positive individual, but are not close contacts, will still receive notification of a positive case, and parents/guardians must receive assurance from the school that their child was not a close contact.
- No action will be necessary for those qualifying for this communication since there was no close contact.
Additional infographics and information will be posted to West Briar's Ready-Set-Go page this week.
Other updates to Key Terms are shown in the below picture, but can also be found in the entire, updated (10/7) Ready-Set-Go Plan.
#Grizzly Values Challenges
Students who have been making right choices and displaying #GrizzlyValues, will be randomly selected to have Patio Lunch for the entire week. Each week I will select a new list of students to sit outside, on our patio during lunch.
Finally, our Student of the Month is back! September Students of the Month will be announced on Twitter Monday, Oct 11th and pictures will be shown in the next Grizzly Gazette.
- Anyone looking to promote positive change online can check out: #MakeKindnesstheNorm @RAK at School
Friday, Oct 22: Pink Out Day
In order to wear a Pink top and Jeans on this day, students must:
- Purchase a Pink Wristband for $5 during lunch.
Wristband must be worn on the 22nd as proof of participation to wear a Pink top. All proceeds will go towards Breast Cancer Research.
7th & 8th Boys Basketball Tryouts
Thursday, Oct. 28th, 4-6pm
West Briar Gyms (Both Gyms)
Boys basketball tryouts will be held 10/28/21 from 4pm-6pm in both Gyms.
- You must have a physical on file to participate.
- RegistermyAthlete WBMS Athletics Page
If you have any questions or need to turn in your physical, see Coach Christopolous.