Cougar Courier Times
Kutz Elementary School's Bimonthly Newsletter
May 19, 2016
The following are quick reminders and/or deadlines for upcoming events:
- Dominic Day! - Tuesday, May 24th (Celebrating End of 1st round of treatment!!)
- Kutz Celebrity Scoop - Tuesday, May 26th at Sweet Pea in Doylestown - 4PM-8PM
- Field Day & Family End of Year Barbecue - Friday, June 3rd
- 6th Grade Promotion - Thursday, June 9th
- Move-Up Day - Tuesday, June 14th
- Kutz H&S Association Newsletter
Counselor’s Corner: A Goodbye Message
Hello Kutz Families,
I wanted to take this opportunity to let you all know that I will be resigning my position at the end of this school year. I live an hour away and the commute has become too much for my family. My son will be starting kindergarten in the fall and as you all know, that is the beginning of many busy years ahead. My time at Kutz has been wonderful and I am sad to be leaving during such an exciting time for the school. Great things are happening in all grade levels and for the Kutz community.
I am very fortunate to have worked in Central Bucks and especially at Kutz. I wanted to take a moment to thank you, our Kutz parents, for your support throughout the years. I would also like to thank Dr. Garvin for her guidance and leadership this year.
I plan to begin notifying students soon, but please feel free to discuss this with them. I hope to be able to help with the transition to a new counselor if at all possible.
Although, I am excited to be starting a new chapter in my life, it will be very hard to leave!!
Thank you for your support,
Looking for a Parent Volunteer for Kids Voting
Kids Voting provides students with an authentic voting experience at the polls. Next year is the Presidential election and Kids Voting is a great way to promote citizenship and show the importance of voting and becoming informed, educated citizens.
The position entails…
- Contact via email with Scott Berger, Curriculum Coordinator for Social Studies.
- Parent meetings will be held in September, October and/or November.
- Election Day: run kids voting booth at polling location
If you are interested in helping support this wonderful program, please contact Ms. Sheridan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOOKING AHEAD...BOOK TALK PROJECT
I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Brooke Vilbas, and I am a reading specialist at Kutz. I have been working in Central Bucks for thirteen years as a classroom teacher & reading specialist, and I am excited to now call Kutz my home.
Next school year, I am planning an exciting book project. In February, the staff had the honor to listen to Penny Kittle speak about her love of teaching reading. She spoke of the importance of sharing a variety of high interest and up-to-date literature with students. Once a month, a book will be presented to each classroom in the form of a Book Talk by various faculty members. Afterward, the book will become a part of their classroom library. I have already started gathering lists of books and was excited to be awarded a CB Cares Mini-Grant to get started on this project.
If you are interested in sponsoring a book, please contact me at email@example.com.
Stay tuned to next month’s newsletter for information about our Summer Reading Challenge.
POETRY WINNERS AT KUTZ
The Doylestown Bookshop
2016 Main Street Voices Poetry Contest Winners
1st place – SPRING POEM, Emma Botes, Kutz Elementary
2nd place – DART BOARD, Sebastian Casas, Kutz Elementary
Special Recognition – HELLO SPRING, Sophie Brunetti, Kutz Elementary
6th Grade's Clean Stream Trip
Congratulations to our 6th Graders on Completing their 6th Grade Assessments
Mrs. Roppoli's Coffee House
Kutz Spring Fair - Great Family Fun Event!!!!
Special thanks to the Spring Fair Committee, the volunteers, and the local community for supporting this great event!
Looking for an end-of-year gift that will keep on giving?
You can donate a book to the library in honor of your child, your child’s teacher, or a staff member.
2016-2017 Kindergarten Registration
School Board Briefs - May 10, 2016
At the May 10, 2016 School Board meeting the Central Bucks School District School Board:
- Approved the minutes of the April 26, 2016 School Board meeting.
- Appointed Dr. Bolton as Substitute Superintendent for the period of May 7, 2016 through May 20, 2016 and Acting Superintendent for the period of May 21, 2016 through June 5, 2016.
- Heard the Superintendent’s Report: Community Partnerships – the following groups were recognized:
- Roxy Reading Therapy Dogs
- CB Cares Educational Foundation
- Parent Positive
- Received the Curriculum Committee, Finance Committee, Human Resources Committee, Operations Committee, Policy Committee notes, and the BCIU Board and MBIT Executive Council minutes.
- Approved the April 30, 2016 and May 5, 2016 General Fund check disbursements; and the April 25, 2016 and May 4, 2016 Capital Fund check disbursements.
- Tabled a contract to Waste Management for trash removal services in the amount of $184,998 for the 2016-2017 school year with the option of renewing each year through 2020-2021. The second bidder has challenged the award to the apparent low bidder and therefore needs review by our solicitor.
- Approved a contract to Nimaris Construction to construct a service memorial at CB East Patriot Stadium in the amount of $118,471.82.
- Tabled School Board Policy 116 – Tutorial Instruction so that the proposed policy can be posted on the CBSD website for public review.
- Approved School Board Policy 823 – Naloxone Administration in Schools.
- Established an AdHoc Communications Committee to be effective until December 2016.
- Approved various personnel items, tuition students, student trips, and staff conferences/workshops.
- Received the Student Activities Quarterly Reports ending March 31, 2016 for the secondary schools as an information item.