November 27th-December 1st
Message from Mission Control
* Just a friendly reminder about our positive office referrals! We implemented this system in order to be able to recognize students for ABOVE AND BEYOND behavior. We were having quite a few earlier in the year, but as things have gotten busy, we haven't seen many come through. Don't forget to recognize these students to help promote positive behavior throughout the campus.
* From now until the holiday break, feel free to wear Holiday shirts with jeans on Mondays and Fridays. Those teachers who have earned the jeans days on Wednesday can continue to wear their PD shirts OR a holiday shirt during the month of December.
* The employee satisfaction survey is set to be sent out this week. It MIGHT go to your clutter folders, so please look for it. As an incentive to complete the survey, each team leader please check with your team to see if they have completed it. Once all members of your team have completed the survey, each team member will be given a jeans pass to use! We are really trying to increase the participation across the district, and we do use these surveys to adjust practices, systems, etc. at both the district and at the campus level. The original date was that the email should be sent out tomorrow. I will let you know if I see it come through and/or if we need to check clutter folders!
* As most of you noticed before we left for break, Kristy Olivas (cafeteria manager) was not here. She has been given the manager job at Saginaw High School, and she began her new role before we left for break. The nutrition department has been trying out several different managers in training, and a decision should be made this week on who we will have full time. Thank you for your patience, as we work to get new people adjusted and familiar with our students and routines.
* Literacy Night is NEXT Tuesday. The orders for the In-N-Out burger baskets are due this Thursday. Please send remind messages, emails, etc. to encourage parents to purchase the tickets. We will begin passing those out at 5:00 on Tuesday, and the program (Hoofbeats and 2nd grade) perform at 5:30.
* Make sure to pay your $20 for the staff Christmas painting party if you are participating. Thanks so much to Kelly and the Sunshine Committee for organizing the event! It sounds so fun and something different that we haven't done before!
* We often send group emails from Skyward to parents informing them about events. We have been told that the Skyward emails are sent to junk for those people who have Gmail accounts. This might include quite a few parents. Please make sure to inform your parents of this, so they know to periodically check their gmail junk accounts for emails from the school.
* At the most recent DPAC meeting, the calendar for the 2017-2018 school year was voted on and sent to the board for approval. The main change involves Welcome Back week (inservice week) and new hire week. The changes are listed below, and more details will be relayed. This is basically saying there are now 8 days (instead of 5) for workoff days. Instead of tacking them on at the end of the year, they're now at the beginning. So, if you get the hours in June, you won't have to come early. If you don't, you will. See below for specifics, and more information will be relayed as we receive it.
New Hire Orientation: August 6 and 7
Welcome Back Week (now 8 days)
· 2 Flexible Professional Learning Days to align professional learning based on district data and individual campus needs (may attend during summer 2018 or during these two days). More details will be shared during Dec/ Jan.
· 1 Online Professional Learning Day (staff can complete Compliance Bundle during summer and utilize this day to work in classrooms/ or be off)
· .5 day Convocation
· 1 District PD Day
· 2.5 Campus Days
· 1 teacher Workday
This year, we will be implementing our GE life principles during announcements, as well as having the opportunity for kids to respond using the white interactive papers in the hallway (formerly used for vocabulary).
Each life principle will be talked about during a 1 week period. You will be getting the schedule sent this week, and it will also be posted on the One Note staff portal. We will discuss on announcements, and students will have the opportunity to write (or draw) how they show this life principle. For example, the first one is self discipline. They can write on the paper how they show or can use self discipline. This will require thinking and application... so it brings in the higher levels. We will talk about the expectations of how this will be used on the announcements, so the students are familiar with what is acceptable.
Just as the vocabulary has been done in the past, the life principles will remain posted on the wall, so that the students can see them and refer back to them. The Elk of the Month will be chosen based on the life principles that have been discussed for the month. Each student chosen will not have to demonstrate ALL of the life principles, but one or more.
This week, our life principle is:
Dedication- committing to something for a particular purpose
DATES TO REMEMBER
Tuesday, November 28th:
Angela Kennedy here for walks 1:00-2:30
Friday, December 1st:
Clubs (follow club schedule)
Monday, December 4th:
Lisa Dunn on campus for walkthroughs @ 10:00
Staff Meeting at 3:00
Tuesday, December 5th:
Literacy Night @ 5:30 & 2nd grade/Hoofbeats performance
Wednesday, December 6th:
Spelling Bee @ 8:30
Thursday, December 14th:
Dr. Parker here for visit @ 12:30
Friday, December 15th:
Early Release at 11:40 for Holiday Break
Staff painting party w/ snacks provided after dismissal
Monday, January 2nd:
Staff returns- campus PD day (K-2 off campus training)
Tuesday, January 3rd:
Kids return from break
Bobby off campus in AM at meeting
Thursday, January 4th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Tuesday, January 9th:
LiiNK grade levels- Meeting at 3:30 @ EME
Thursday, January 11th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Friday, January 12th:
Spirit Rally @ 10:00
Early Release @ 11:40