Family Newsletter-Distance Learning Edition 4/23/2020
We have almost finished our two week roll out of Distance Learning. If you're keeping track, we had two weeks of Supplemental optional learning and now two weeks of Distance Learning where it's a combination of required teacher-led learning, supplemental learning in a variety of topics, and nutrition and wellness.
Parents, if you have not already given yourself permission to take a step back and do what is best for your family, I am giving you that permission right now. As a parent myself, I am doing my best at balancing working full time, supporting my middle school son and high school daughter with their schoolwork and getting to Google Meets with their teachers, and I am giving myself and my husband a lot of grace. There are stressors, extenuating circumstances, complicated schedules and other factors happening right now along with trying to get your children connected to learning each day. With that being said, teachers are marking teacher-led learning as priority or required to let you know that if your kids only have time to do one or two things per day, those would be the things to do. If you have more time, then working on the supplemental or optional activities and practice work are the next areas to focus on.
Something that is not required, but if you are able to do, is your children attending any live sessions with their teacher. That could be some office hours, Google Meet classroom meetings, live teacher-led lessons, etc. The human connection and continuing the relationships they have built with their teacher and classmates is a crucial piece of their wellness right now. If it is not possible for your student to join those live sessions, then that is ok too. Again, give yourselves grace.
Below is a personal video message from me. Please watch.
Mrs. Gina McLain
Student Belongings Distribution NEXT WEEK
Next week, Tues.-Thurs we will be distributing student belongings that were left at school. Please read the letters linked below. There are directions for how this process will work and a schedule for pick up times.
Please watch the video below to see how this process is supposed to work.
Virtual Spirit Week
This and That
- ODE/HSD Grading Information: guidance is coming out soon and I will share additional info with you next week.
- Family Needs--please fill out this form to request resources if you are in need of any resources (i.e. food, clothing, etc.).
- UPDATED HSD Meal info: HSD Meal Distribution as of April 20 2020/ Distribucion de alimentos 20 de abril de 2020 Please remember that these meals are for any child ages 1-18.
- Chromebooks--if you are in need of a tech device please reach out to Mrs. McLain at firstname.lastname@example.org, Mrs. Zmolek at email@example.com , or Ms. Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PE & Music Google Classrooms--If your child has not yet joined Ms. Young's Music Google Classroom or Mrs. Harrington's PE Google Classroom, please have your child join those classrooms with the following codes: Music: 613bbkb PE: rjan2pi
- Mrs. Moreland Library Newsletters: April 13 Newsletter April 6 Newsletter
Please share this information with your neighbors if they will have a Kindergartener next fall. We would like people to register their Kindergartener as soon as they can. Please do not wait until August, go ahead and do it now. Thank you!
- HSD Resource Site
- HSD Distance Learning Website
- HSD Distance Learning Tech Support
- Videos and FAQ for Google Classroom
- HSD Family Needs Form to Request Resources
- Community Resources/ Recursos Comunitarios
- Oregon Food Bank Find Food
- “COVID-19 Resources for Families of Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs”