Sartartia MS -- Exemplary Education Every Day -- 8.22.19
We had a great first week back!
Dear Jag Families,
Our first full week is now complete...we can check this off our list. We have had a week filled with laughter and learning. The students (and adults!) are settling into a routine and it feels like we are rocking and rolling. We are still learning names and getting to know students’ interests and personalities. Congrats to our Volleyball team as they had their first scrimmage this week. Please make every effort to support our Fall Athletic Programs. Go JAGS! The students were so well-behaved at the grade level assemblies this week! The presentation is below.
Thank you parents for getting your student here on time and working with us through any transportation woes. Parents, we are so excited to interact with you at an upcoming event.
● Wednesday, August 28: Volleyball vs. JBMS @JBMS
● Thursday, September 5: Open House 6pm
Sartartia Middle School
Jackson Hynes has been nominated as our Student of the Week. Jackson is a new 6th grader that has gone above and beyond in his first week at Sartartia Middle School. He has demonstrated the profile of a graduate traits of a servant leader and a compassionate citizen by taking care of one of his classmates that was in need.
Jackson always has a smile on his face and a willingness to help anyone around. We are excited for Jackson to be an SMS Jaguar!
Amanda Leland is an amazing teacher, coach and mom. She grew up in this community and attended Garcia Middle School before graduating from Austin High School. She just started her 9th year as a teacher and takes on many roles at Sartartia. Ms. Leland is a 6th-8th grade Co-Teacher, In-Class Support, and Math Resource Special Education Teacher.
Although she was a competitive swimmer growing up, she currently coaches our 7B Girls Volleyball and Basketball teams. She has a 9 year old son, Carson (4th grade), and a 6 year old daughter, Caylee (1st grade), who both attend Pecan Grove Elementary where her mom is a 2nd grade teacher.
She is extremely lucky to have her parents close by because they always provide ongoing love and support. They also have three dogs, a Pug, a Great Pyrenees mix, and a Black Lab that are also like family.
Parents--Please complete the beginning of the year Online Forms
To avoid having to use a forest of paper to print forms for parents to complete on the first day of school, parents may complete this annual task starting July 30. See below for details.
- Verify your child(ren)'s information in Skyward Family Access
- Download this helpful flyer (in English and Spanish) to guide you through the process
- To start the verification process, click here to go to Skyward Family Access
- NOTE 1: Please allow your children "Full Access" (FA) to district computers and the network. In order to conduct research, create projects, take certain assessments, use Schoology, use their district email account, and more, students must have full access to the district's resources
- NOTE 2: Please provide permission for your child(ren) to take surveys. As we seek to hear and listen to students' voices and opinions to make SLMS a better place to work and learn, we cannot do that if students do not have permission to take surveys. We don't do many of them, but the ones we do are important, and they originate from within the district
We appreciate all you do to make us an excellent world-class school! Please forward all questions about SKYWARD Family Access to our Data Entry Clerk, Ms. Hodson at 281-634-6323 or email email@example.com
Back to School Reminders!
Back to School Reminders
- SMS strives to maintain a welcoming, yet safe environment and to give superior customer service to our community. Thank you for supporting our transition process, and allowing your middle-schooler to enter the building independently. If you are dropping off medication at the clinic or have a pre-arranged meeting please remember to check in with the front desk. Parents will have the opportunity to visit their child’s classes at Open House on Sept. 5
- School Hours: 8:55 (tardy bell) to 4:10 (dismissal)
- Building Hours for Students: 8:20 to 4:20. Students should not arrive to campus before 8:15 AM, as we do not provide supervision until 8:20 AM.
- Traffic may still be heavy the next couple of weeks of school until everyone gets into a routine. We appreciate your patience. Please allow extra time.
All car riders must be dropped off and picked up in the front of the school. Therefore, students must exit and enter cars only using the curb side of the front of the building. Cars should be never be parked in the drop off lane and everyone must use the crosswalk. Picking up or dropping off students along the Homeward Way is not a safe practice. Please do not use the parking lot near the bus ramp or the parking lot at the front of the school for pick up or drop off. Lastly, we ask that all are mindful of speed at all times when on school grounds. Safety of each of our precious Jaguars is of the utmost concern.
- Drop off and pick up procedures: Do not drop off or pick up children in the street or the staff parking lot (near the bus ramp). Please do not block the parking lot exit when you are in line waiting, it creates gridlock and no one is able to get out of the parking lot...this causes the parking lot exit to back up. Please to do drop off/pick up from The KidsRKids parking lot-- it is private property and a safety issue for their customers.
- Be safe and patient during arrival and dismissal. Drive carefully and no cell phones!
- Bike riders need to lock their bikes on the bike ramp. No skateboards, scooters, skates, etc. allowed on campus at any time.
- Car riders should only use the front driveway. No student drop-off/pick-up in any parking lot. Please drive all the way up to the furthest point in line. This allows the line of cars to move quicker.
- Bus route information may be found on this district webpage (if your child is eligible for bus service). Make sure your child knows his/her bus route information.
- We enforce the FBISD dress code, which is available in the Student Code of Conduct. Please help in ensuring that your child complies with the dress code every day at school. We will also review this with students on the first week of school.
- If your child requires medication during the school day, parents must bring the medication directly to the clinic and complete the necessary paperwork.
SMS Counselors Need Mentors
We are looking forward to another year of mentoring at Sartartia Middle School. Thanks to our volunteers who have made time to meet with our students and build long lasting, meaningful relationships!
We are looking for adults in our community to volunteer their time mentoring Sartartia students. We will be accepting new mentors this year at SMS until Friday, September 27, 2019. Students who are in need of a reliable, comforting person to help guide them, will be selected by staff referral. Mentors and their mentees would meet weekly throughout the school year during the student’s elective class period. There will be a mandatory campus level training as well if it is your first time mentoring on our campus.
Please use the district volunteer link to submit your application and background check which must be done each year: Volunteer link: Click here!.
The mandatory district orientation (MUST have every 3 years) is:
Wed, September 18, 2019
9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
Fort Bend ISD Administration Building
16431 Lexington Blvd.
Sugar Land, TX 77479
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please reach out to: VIPS@fortbendisd.com.
Please email, Katherine Friedel, mentor liaison at Sartartia, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering. There will be a mandatory campus level training as well if it is your first time mentoring on our campus.
Thank you so much for volunteering!
WILL YOU GO GOLD WITH US?
September was proclaimed National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month in 2012 to bring awareness to pediatric cancer. FBISD will "Turn it Gold" September 9th - September 13th. SMS will have a "GOLD OUT" day September 13th. Read the attached parent letter for more details.
Sweethearts @ Skeeters 2019
Front Office Procedures
Due to the vestibule in the front office, it is important to note the following for our check-in process. Everyone who intends to enter the building past the sign-in window during the school day, must have state issued identification to do so. We rely on the RAPTOR scan system for badging visitors in and it only reads state issued ID cards or driver’s licenses. Each visitor will be given a yellow badge to wear throughout the duration of the visit.
All deliveries including homework, clothes, and lunches, etc... must be delivered by 11:00 AM due to the drop-off cart being moved to a different location for student access.
Lunch drop off : please make sure that all lunches are delivered by 11:00 AM so that we may roll the cart into an area that students can access. It is also requested that parents minimize lunch drop off to special occasions.
Students are in full swing moving to each class and using their lockers.
If your child would like to request a schedule change, he/she will need to stop by the SMS Counselors' Office and pick up a Schedule Change Request Form. The form requires signatures from teachers and parent. All forms must be submitted by August 26, 2019. There will be no schedule changes after this date.
Anyone enrolled in PE classes at SMS are required to wear a PE uniform each day for class. Click here to purchase PE uniforms online. All uniforms will be distributed during the PE classes the second week of school. Multiple sizes are readily available in each PE class. Please make sure you print your receipt and bring it to class. Another option is to have your child show us a picture of the receipt on their phone.
Student IDs / Check-in Stations - COMING SOON
Free and Reduced Meal Information
Help us to help our students by simply filling out the form.
FBISD Launches SchoolCafe
FBISD’s Child Nutrition Department will be launching a new software program this school year, SchoolCafe. SchoolCafe will allow parents to create an account, make online payments, view school menus, set account restrictions and more. SchoolCafe can be accessed at https://www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd or through the SchoolCafe app. (Visit the Apple Store or Google Play store to download.)
Please note, you will still be able to view menus through MealViewer.
RevTrak is no longer be available to process any Child Nutrition payments. Parents are able to make payments through https://www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd or through the SchoolCafe app.
Should you have any questions, please contact FBISD Child Nutrition at (281) 634-1855.
JOIN SMS PTO 2019-2020
We are looking for Enthusiastic Parents to join the PTO team for the coming school year. We need parents to help make Sartartia Middle School the best it can be.
We love parent volunteers! Please renew your annual Criminal History Authorization (CHA) by visiting the district website. These reset on July 1 each year.
Reasons to Get Involved:
1) Its a Great Way to Meet Other Parents with Kids the same age as your own.
2) You can help raise money for a great cause - your children's education.
3) You will get to meet & know the Teachers and Administrators.
4) You can plan and execute fun events for the whole family.
5) Get your voice heard.
These are just some of the benefits of joining the PTO. Help us Help the School Help the Students be successful.
- Its Rewarding!
- Its Important!
- Its Fun!
Need more information on our PTO, please visit the PTO website by clicking here
Find All Your Jag Gear Below
CLICK BELOW TO PURCHASE A SPIRIT SHIRT!!
Assistant Principals & Counselors
Courtney Border-Assistant Principal
Dr. Sunday Johnson-Associate Principal
Rachel McCune-Lead Counselor
Paul Wells-Assistant Principal