Lesson Plan Updates and Tips
Getting Ready for the 2nd Six-Weeks
Update in Elementary and Secondary Lesson Plan Templates
New Elementary Team Lesson Plan Template
Learn more about this template in the video below.
Update in All 13 Templates
Additionally, we are working on some improvements to the programming behind your planner to make it use data more efficiently and therefore load more quickly. See the tips and tricks section below for other tips that will make accessing your standards more efficient.
Setting Up for the 2nd Six-Weeks
1. Start a new template:
- With this option, you will get the latest updates described above.
- Go to your lesson plan folder. Click New>Google Sheets> From a template and select the template that is best for you.
- Click here for more information and reminders about starting a new template.
2. Make a copy of your 1st six-weeks file
- With this option, you will not get the latest updates described above.
- You will retain any formatting you may have customized.
- Be sure to rename the file for the 2nd six-weeks.
- Do you have an error in your current file or are the wrong subjects available in your standards selector? You will resolve that most efficiently by starting a new template instead. See the tips and tricks section below for an alternate option.
- Click here for a tutorial on copying your file for the 2nd six-weeks.
YOU ARE THE OWNER OF YOUR PLANS
- Remember that the whole goal of lesson planning in Google is to give you a space to plan how you really need to plan. The non-negotiables are that the Workshop Model is used for ELAR, Math and Social Studies and the 5E Model is used for Science. The lesson plan templates provide a format for designing lessons within these models; however, the goal is for you to be able to really make them your own. You are welcome to modify the formatting to suit your needs. While we have provided a tab for the Workshop Model, for example, if a teacher has a way to format it differently to help them better plan within the Workshop Model, they are welcome to do so.
- The principal is the instructional leader of the campus and the authority on what is expected in your lesson plans. As long as your principal approves, the District supports that. The goal of lesson planning in Google is for teachers to be able to plan for what they authentically do – however that needs to look on the screen.
- Take a moment to organize your lesson plan folder
- Set Chrome as your default browser so even links from your emails will open in Chrome
- Learn some cool tips for selecting standards that could help you be more efficient
- Secondary Lesson Plan Template Fix - if you encounter an error in your standards or see elementary subjects in your standards selector, visit this link for a quick fix
- Super Duper Advanced Tip: make your template connect to other standards databases. Like that new elementary team template but you need secondary standards? Learn how to mix and match here. Caution: some major techno jargon involved, but you may want to boldly give it a try! :)
- Come to the Digital Learning Conference October 14 - lesson plan tips, support, and customization coaching available every hour!
- The 3rd annual Fall Digital Learning Conference will bring together hundreds of educators to gain and share knowledge, resources, and new "superpowers" to rethink teaching and learning in Birdville classrooms.
- Stay tuned for more information in the Digital Learning News.
1. Ask your peers
2. Contact your Digital Learning Specialist (see contacts below)
3. Contact the technology helpdesk
4. Use the Feedback Form built right into your planner
5. Stay tuned for many more support processes currently in development, such as a user forum and more how-to articles and videos
ELEMENTARY DIGITAL LEARNING TEAM MEMBERS:
Campuses: Birdville, WT Francisco, Binion, Mullendore, Snow Heights, Porter, Foster Village
Campuses: Smithfield, Cheney, Stowe, Watauga, North Ridge, Walker Creek, Green Valley
Campuses: David E Smith, Richland, West Birdville, Holiday Heights, Hardeman, ACFT, J. D. Spicer
SECONDARY DIGITAL LEARNING TEAM MEMBERS:
Campuses: Haltom HS, Shannon HS, Richland MS
Campuses: BCTAL, North Richland MS, North Oaks MS, Central Office Administration
Campuses: Richland HS, Haltom MS, Watauga MS
Campuses: Birdville HS, North Ridge MS, Smithfield MS
In case you missed it or want some reminders about the whole curriculum access and lesson planning process, visit the refresher training slides from August PD. This is a concise breakdown of the whole process.