Fourth Grade Parkside Elementary
October 13th - 20th, 2016
This week we began to reteach in our mastery cycle. Your child participated in reteach groups of any standards that they did not master on their test. We will continue these reteach groups into next week.
- · Begin our multiplication unit
o Your child will be taught various strategies to multiply 3 digit by 1 digit numbers
Example: To illustrate 154 x 6 students use base 10 blocks or use drawings to show 154 six times. Seeing 154 six times will lead them to understand the distributive property, 154 x 6 = (100 + 50 + 4) x 6 = (100 x 6) + (50 X 6) + (4 X 6) = 600 + 300 + 24 = 924.
Helpful video link:
In this lesson you will learn how to solve multiplication problems by using the distributive property.Next Week.....
- we will continue with our multiplication unit. We learn to multiply 2 digit by 2 digit numbers using an open array model. https://learnzillion.com/lesson_plans/6075-use-an-area-model-for-multiplication-of-two-digit-numbers-by-two-digit-numbers
In this lesson you will learn how to multiply a 2 digit number by another 2 digit number by applying your understanding of the area model for multiplication.
Make sure your student is practicing their multiplication facts. Knowing their facts will make solving multiplication problems much easier!
4th Grade Literacy -Nonfiction Text
- reviewing Cycle 1 Assessment and making test corrections
- continuing with vocabulary/Word Work (students only have homework if they don't finish their classwork)
- students are continuing to work in teacher led and independent groups
- Word Sort Assessment on Friday
- Introducing Nonfiction Text Features
- continuing to practice answering a question using the RACE writing strategy
- New Word Sort
Students will use flashlights, make electrical circuits and Noodle racers to show the force and motion of magnets.
School Store Open
Oct 17 - 21
Bus Driver Appreciation Week
Box Tops Due
Kindergarten Field Trip to Lewis Farms
4th Grade Field Trip to Grandfather Mountain
5th Grade Field Trip to Greensboro Science Center
Fall Festival @ Parkside
Fall Festival Oct. 22 from 11am-3pm
Book Fair Oct. 24-28 and Family Book Fair Night Wed., Oct. 26 from 5-7pm (Free Pizza Dinner)