BURLESON ELEMENTARY NEWS
APRIL 15, 2021
A NOTE FROM DR. COFFMAN
- The tardy bell rings at 7:45 am
- If you are late, you must sign your child in at the office
- Please send water bottles to school with your student
Este es el último trimestre del año y los estudiantes deben continuar leyendo al menos veinte minutos por noche. Leer al menos veinte minutos al día expone a un niño a 1.800.000 millones de palabras al año. La exposición a las palabras aumenta su vocabulario y mejora el pensamiento analítico. Los lectores mejoran su conocimiento general y pueden reconocer patrones más rápidamente. Sabemos que tenemos a los estudiantes más inteligentes y brillantes aquí, ¡pero siempre estamos apuntando a las estrellas y la lectura puede llevarnos allí!
- La campana de tardanza suena a las 7:45 am
- Si llega tarde, debe registrar a su hijo en la oficina.
- Por favor envíe botellas de agua a la escuela con su estudiante.
- Practice all letter and sound recognition.
- Focus on number recognition up to #20.
- Please have students continue to practice writing their name at home.
- Please write down words read on reading log.
- Library books are due back on Tuesday.
- Spelling test every Thursday!! New words are on the blue paper in your child’s purple folder. Each week the words are based on spelling concepts we have previous learned in phonics.
- 75 sight word test on April 30th. This will give you two extra weeks to help your child study!!!
- Class pictures - April 20th.
- Kindergarten awards - May 26th. Time is TBD
- Field day is May 27th.
- Water bottle and library books need to be brought every day.
Thank you for all you do! I can’t believe these kiddos are almost firsties!!!
- Sight word test tomorrow over 25 pink sight words.
- Practice spelling words and sentences for the test tomorrow.
- Practice -2’s for a test tomorrow.
- READ, READ, READ and be ready to AR test every day.
- Your child is taking addition fact tests to earn brag tags. Please ask them which facts they are working on because every child is working at their own pace.
- It is warming up, make sure your child brings a water bottle to school every day.
- Please make sure your child is wearing shoes appropriate for PE.
- Help your child remember to complete nightly homework and return it to school the next day in their purple folder.
Just a few things to remember for this week....
- We will continue to work on subtraction math facts through -12s and then review until the end of the year. We will test over -10 on this Friday.
- Saxon Phonics is winding down. We will work through Lesson 140 and then spend time review the rules that have been covered this year.
- This week's spelling and phonics test will be on Friday, April 16th. The next set of tests will be on Tuesday, April 27th. Please use the extra time to study spelling words and phonics rules!
- Continue to READ, READ, READ and take AR tests!!!
- Be sure you are reading for at least 20 minutes every night and that you are filling out the Home Reading Log. The Reading Logs are due every Friday morning.
- Please remember to send a water bottle with your child/children each and every day. They get thirsty and the water fountains are closed.
- As the weather warms up, be sure to have your child wear PE and playground appropriate shoes. We've had several students in flip-flops/sandals lately and they have a hard time with them on the playground because of the wood chips.
- This next week we are going to start our intense genre review for STAAR. Our first genre will be poetry. We will be reviewing explaining author’s purpose, audience, genre characteristics, and analyzing author’s craft in order to interpret and comprehend many different poems, including inferring theme.
- In Social Studies we will be studying the significance of celebrations in Texas and compare those to US celebrations.
- Make sure your child is reading each night at home and filling out their reading logs. All reading logs are due every Tuesday.
- It is very important that your child is here as much as possible over the next 3 weeks before STAAR.
- In reading we are working hard reviewing and preparing for the Reading STAAR Test in May.
- We have started new RTI intervention groups where all students are getting some extra targeted help to prepare them for STAAR.
- In Social Studies we are continuing to learn about the early days of Texas as a new State.
- As always… Read, Read, Read! – Reading is a homework assignment! All students are required to read for at least 20 minutes every evening. Please make sure you monitor what your child is reading and initial your child’s Reading Log every evening after they have read.
Please message me on Dojo with any questions or concerns.
- In Math we are working on solving word problems with fractions. We can use a lot more practice in this area!
- In Science we are investigating producers, consumers, and food webs.
- Please make sure that your child is doing their 20-minute reading EVERY night. This will boost their vocabulary and make them an all around better student. Reading every day helps with Math, Science and Social Studies also!
- Bring a water bottle EVERYDAY!
- Please have your child study multiplication math facts every night for a few minutes. We are still testing weekly, and we need to know our math facts when we our working other math concepts.
- We are learning about different kinds of graphs and reviewing for the STAAR test. Please have your student in school every day. We need to review.
Please keep READING!!!!!! We need to stay focused finishing out the year strong!
They are working hard this week and I am very proud of them!!!
Still send water bottles, we cannot be sharing the fountain.Thank you for all you do!!!!
TOP PTO FUNDRAISING STUDENTS GOING ON A FIELD TRIP
They will be leaving the school @ 12:00 to Lubbock to see a movie and will be returning to school by 3:45.
SPRING PICTURES AND CLASS PICTURES WILL BE TUESDAY APRIL 20TH
Please make sure to enclose the exact amount of money in the envelope , the office does not have money in the office.
Parents, we have several students that have not been returning their library books, please make sure your child/children are returning library books.
WEDNESDAY SNACK SHACK
Prices will range from $2.00 - $4.00.
MEADOW PTO SNACK CART ON FRIDAY'S
APRIL LUNCH MENU
Your child's name will be displayed on the day of their birthday. If their special day falls on a weekend their shout out will be displayed on the Friday before. This is open to ALL Meadow students and staff.