Gables Weekly Summary
Field Day: Volunteers Needed Tuesday 5/31
We will need family volunteers to assist with games and inflatables during the morning from 9am to 12pm. There is no signup before the day - just show up if you can and report to the gym to choose your game/activity.
If you cannot make the morning games, you are still invited to watch the afternoon games with your scholar. Afternoon games will begin at 2pm. Which teachers will be victorious in tug-of-war? Come find out! Please see the attached flyer below. (English, Arabic and Spanish).
Register here: https://www.procamps.com/secure/camper/registrations/add/3359. First come, first serve, must pre-register. Campers will receive camp t-shirt at check-in and food at the conclusion. Campers will be divided into teams and rotate through fundamental soccer drill stations. Instruction led by coaches.
- Who: Boys & Girls ages 6-14
- What: Youth Soccer Camp
- When: June 7th - 10th; 4-7pm
- Where: Worthington Kilbourne High School, 1499 Hard Rd, Columbus, OH 43235
Recap of Canvas Family Information Session
- Canvas is the new eLearning platform that CCS will start using this fall in place of Google Classroom. Canvas will replace Google Classroom, while still being compatible with Google Docs, Sheets, Presentations and other popular software.
- The May 24 Information Session introduced families to the new Canvas Learning Management System that will be used in our schools. The recording of the May 24th session is available here; a virtual tour of Canvas begins roughly 25 minutes into the session.
- Canvas is a learning management system that will centralize students' online school experience so that they have more time available for learning instead of navigating different computer applications. In the current system, the Clever application centralizes logins for school applications, but students still have to enter different sites for different subject lessons, tools, and communication. Students will also use Clever to access Canvas, but Canvas will summarize their learning in one place. For instance, students will eventually have a comprehensive calendar that shows all subject assignments instead of accessing separate calendars specific to different subjects. Similarly, a comprehensive assignments list should also be available. Students will be able to filter these tools to individual subjects (or modules) when they want, and they can individualize notifications for assignments, events, communications, teacher feedback/answers, etc.
- Teachers will be able to differentiate instruction for students more easily. They can make assignments for individual students (for instance, if a student is ill and misses a class teaching), and they can post assignments/lessons for different groups of students to better meet students' needs.
- Parents will also have access to Canvas that is tied to their student's accounts, where they will be able to communicate with their teachers.
- Teachers will begin implementing Canvas into classrooms for Fall 2022. Implementation will be a process over time, not an immediate change. Please visit the District site or watch the presentation for more information.
- If you have any questions, reach out to email@example.com.
CCS Family Engagement - Info Session Recap
Columbus City Schools is looking for caring adults who want to serve as Family Ambassadors. To learn more about the Family Ambassador Program or if you are interested in this position and want to submit your application, click here.
FREE ADMISSION TO THE COLUMBUS MUSEUM OF ART this summer
All this summer, Columbus City Schools students and families are invited to come to the Columbus Museum of Art for FREE. The “WONDERPASS” is back. CMA is thrilled to have received funding from Battelle to offer free admission to CCS students and their families this summer, June 1 - September 5. Just visit the CMA website to order your tickets and use the code “WonderPass” at checkout!
Also join us for our free Summer Celebration kickoff Saturday, June 4 from 11 AM-2 PM. Booking online? Use code “WonderPass” at checkout! Hours Tues-Sun: 10 AM – 5 PM Thurs: 10 AM – 9 PM 480 E Broad St, Columbus, OH 43215
Resource Articles: Helping Kids Navigate Scary News Stories
The last few years have been full of scary news for kids, from the pandemic to racial injustice to the war in Ukraine. But news of mass shootings and random gun violence can be even harder for kids to cope with — especially kids who learn and think differently. Find tips on how to talk to kids about scary events in the news:
Congratulations Kindergarteners & 5th graders!!! Class of 2022
Reminders (Don't Forget)
NO SCHOOL MONDAY MAY 30, 2022
Memorial Day commemorates the men and women who died while in the military service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. In other words, the purpose of Memorial Day is to memorialize the veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
2022-2023 School Supply Boxes
Remember to order by July 1st. The school supply boxes will be delivered directly to your child's classroom in August before the start of school. If you have any questions, please contact Gables PTA at firstname.lastname@example.org. Place your order at: http://1stdayschoolsupplies.com/kits.php?sid=80929.
Check green folders for flyers.
Roll Call Role Models
Columbus Metropolitan Library 2022 Summer Reading Challenge is June 1 - July 31. Anyone can participate virtually or in-person.
Gables and Community Events Next Week
Monday 5/30: Memorial Day Holiday (No School!)
Tuesday 5/31: Field Day 9am-12pm
Wednesday 6/1: 5th grade ceremony 10:30am
Thursday 6/2: Kindergarten Ceremony 11:00am
Bethel IUMC First Friday: Games on the Green
Friday, June 3rd, 6:30pm
1220 Bethel Rd, Columbus, OH
Free community event - children must be accompanied by a grown-up.
Saturday, June 4th, 5-7pm
4776 Winterset Drive
Cub Scout Pack 3128 is in Northwest Columbus. We serve boys and girls in kindergarten through fifth grade with the Columbus City Schools who attend Cranbrook, Gables, and Winterset Elementary Schools, and students from these schools who attend the Columbus Gifted Academy. The Cub Scout program is part of the Boy Scouts of America. We are a group of volunteers who are invested in the lives of our community's children. Cub Scout programming meets children where they are developmentally, while introducing them to leadership, citizenship, duty to God, and outdoor adventures. Please visit our pack's website at www.pack3128.com for more information.
Free Summer Celebration Kickoff Saturday (COMA)
Saturday, June 4th, 11am-2pm
480 East Broad Street
1-7: Teacher Appreciation Week
9: PTA Meeting at 6:30 p.m. https://ccsoh-us.zoom.us/j/85443652070
10: Spring Concert at 7:00 p.m., Graeter's Night after Concert.
13: PTA Flower Sale - Delivery Day.
25: Gables Skating Party at 5:00 p.m.
30: No School-Memorial Day.
31: **Field Day** Volunteers needed at 9:00 a.m.
June 1: 5th grade Promotion Ceremony at 10:30am.
June 2: Last Day of School & Kindergarten Promotion Ceremony at 11:00am.
The calendar is continuously updated to ensure changes are reflected. Such changes may not be reflected above as older weekly summaries are archived & not maintained. To get the most accurate information at any time, click the heading above or click here.
About Gables Elementary School
Attendance Phone Number: 1-380-997-6025
PTA email: email@example.com
FACTline Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FACTline Phone Number: 614-221-FACT (614-221-3228)
Customer Relations Email: email@example.com
Customer Relations Phone Number: (614) 365-8888