April 26, 2019
Roosevelt Weekly Parent Info
Hello Roosevelt families! A few brief reminders for the week--thanks for taking the time to stay in the know.
• Get on the Beam: You are invited to participate in Habitat for Humanity's 21st annual "Get on the Beam" Campaign. The beam is a 2x4 located in the Roosevelt Office. Please donate a dollar or more and sign the 2x4. The beam will become part of the framework for a Habitat house in St. Peter or LeSueur. Your donations will purchase building materials. Thank you for your contributions.
• Summer Feeding Program: The Summer Feeding Program is for all students who attend one of the 21 public schools served by the Backpack Food Program. It is for students who will be entering grades K-8 in the 2019-20 school year. Each child will receive weekend food packs delivered directly to their door steps. If you feel that your child(ren) will utilize the program, please complete this online enrollment link .
• Coffee with the Principal: This is the LAST one of the year. Please come if you are able. Friday, April 26 at Cub Foods West. I'm there from 7:30 - 8:30 AM. It's a great opportunity to just be--casual conversation about anything, really! I would love to see you there!!
• The Roosevelt Carnival will be here before you know it! This year, it will held rain or shine on Thursday, May 16 from 5:00-7:00pm. This event simply cannot happen without many, many volunteers. Please consider helping using this online link!!! Thank you, in advance, for your willingness to help make this happen!
• BUSING for NEXT YEAR...IMPORTANT FOR ALL: As another school year draws to a close it is time to register for school bus transportation for the 2019-2020 school year. Transportation Registration Forms will be coming home from school in the Friday folder on May 3. This form will be light pink in color. Please return the form before the end of the school year. ALL families need to complete this form, even if students do NOT ride a bus!
Students who have completed a Transportation Registration Form before August 1st will be guaranteed busing for the 1st day of school. Late registrations will likely not have bus transportation in a timely manner, and a significant number of late registrations will require the addition and changing of the bus routes that will be in place the 1st day of school, and parents will be required to transport their student until the form is processed and the bus pass received. Thank you for your timely completion of this required form.
• School Supply Kits: Please don't delay in ordering your child's school supplies for next year. If you have never done it this way...you are missing out!!! Everything (or nearly everything) you need for school supplies delivered right to the classroom in the fall! No check-out lines, no hassle! And very competitive prices. I've done this each year my kids have been in elementary school, and in my opinion, it's the only way to go. Simply go to: www.shopttkits.com and use account number: 30934. No orders will be accepted after June 3, 2019.
• MAPS Wellness Week: Please check out the awesome week that is planned for students the week of May 6. The attachment is below. Many cool things!!!!
• Rocky Time: We did not have Rocky Time today due to MCA testing. Next week we will continue the theme of PERSISTENCE, GRIT, and SELF-DETERMINATION! It's a great theme to reflect upon as we head into the last part of the year and work together to FINISH STRONG!!!
• Superintendent Search: The Board is asking staff, students and community to provide input into the selection. You will be able to do this by participating in an open question and answer session with each finalist and filling in a feedback sheet to be shared with the Board.
First-round interviews for Superintendent of Mankato Area Public Schools are complete. The following candidates will move forward as finalists:
- Scott Hare on Monday (April 29th)
- Paul Peterson on Tuesday (April 30th)
- Anthony Bonds on Wednesday (May 1st)
Interviews will be held in the Mankato Room at the Intergovernmental Center, 10 Civic Center Plaza. The schedule will repeat each day:
5 p.m. - public invited to participate in a community interview with the finalist
6 p.m. - finalist will have dinner with the School Board in the Minnesota River Room at the Intergovernmental Center
7 p.m. - final interview with the School Board, the public is invited to observe
Following the interview on Wednesday (May 1st), the School Board will meet in special session to review the candidates and authorize the Board Chair to enter into contract negotiations with the selected candidate.
For more information contact staff at 507-387-1868.
Please feel free to contact Ken Dragseth (952-210-2790), Toni Johns (612-309-1511) or Bob Ostlund (612-308-8997) if you have any questions regarding the search.
Student Council Dollar Beach Day...
raised enough money for these awesome stools for the Makerspace. Way to go, Raccoons!!
First Grade Honors Volunteer
Let's congratulate Barb Lindholm for receiving a 2019 Outstanding Volunteer Award for her 16 years of service to Roosevelt in Jeanne Fitterer's classroom! For the first eight years, Barb served as a weekly classroom volunteer and for the last eight years she has continued that as well as developing a Canine Reading Buddy program with her Paws for Friendship therapy dog, Nikko. Thank you to Barb and Nikko for your great volunteer partnership with #MAPSready!
Kindergarten Round Up
On Monday, Roosevelt hosted a new group of incoming Kindergarten students. It was sooooo exciting to meet them and see their enthusiasm and excitement for school!