One Body in Christ - October 24, 2022
This week's newsletter is full of information about last weekend's Jamboree and upcoming events like All Souls' Day, Trunk or Treat, and Veterans Day (see below).
Students may dress down and wear black and orange on Monday, October 31st. No costumes, unless otherwise directed by your child's homeroom teacher.
Our students will be selling Candy Grams on October 26th and 27th for 50 cents each. Each Candy Gram includes a small message from the sender and a piece of Halloween candy. They will be delivered on Monday, October 31st to the recipient's classrooms. Proceeds from this sale will be donated to Hendricks County Family Promise.
The October lunch menu is attached to the bottom of this newsletter.
A few gentle reminders about our dress code:
- Shorts are not allowed after fall break. Students may wear these again after Spring Break. Girls should wear plain black, white, or navy leggings under their uniform skirts.
- Uniform shirts are red monogrammed, light blue and white polos. Dark blue polo shirts (excluding the monogrammed middle school shirts) are not part of our dress code.
- As the weather turns colder, students may want to wear an additional layer. Acceptable additions to a uniform polo include:
- A navy or red cardigan or pullover sweater. These cannot have any designs or other colors.
- A navy or red pullover crew-neck sweatshirt. These may be plain or monogrammed through Avon Sports Apparel.
- A plain white short or long-sleeved undershirt.
- All students in K-8 must wear a belt with uniform pants. Uniform pants must have belt loops.
I have included our uniform policy summary at the bottom of this newsletter.
Janet Abdoulaye, Principal
The Week Ahead...
Tuesday, October 25th
- 3rd Grade Field Trip
Wednesday, October 26th
- PS - K Prayer Service, hosted by K at 2:15 PM in the church
- 2:50 PM Release - EDM until 6:00 PM
- One Body in Christ shirts
Thursday, October 27th
- All School Mass hosted by 7th Grade
Friday, October 28th
- Middle School visiting Cardinal Ritter High School
- Spiritwear for students and staff
- November-December Lunch Help Needed: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f4ba8ab2aa7fb6-lunch1
- November 1st - All Saints Day mass at 8:45 AM.
- November 4th - Picture Retake Day
- November 10th - All Souls Day Remembrance at school mass at 8:45 AM
- December 14th - K-4 Christmas Program
Future Events: https://saintsusannaschool.com/events?page=1
Thank you to all who played a role in last weekend's Jamboree, especially Gaytanna McGuire who chaired the event again this year. We are grateful for all of our chili cookers, cake bakers, and cornbread makers in addition to those who helped sell tickets, set up and tear down the event, and organize volunteers! This is a wonderful community event and we are grateful for its success each and every year. Proceeds from this event help fund programming and instructional extras throughout the school year!
Teacher Wish List
Thank you so much to everyone who helped support our teachers tonight at the Jamboree by purchasing items off the Wish Lists. If you could not attend or did not have time to check out the lists, here is the link. Let's show our teachers how much we appreciate their dedication and hard work! Happy Shopping: Wish List Link - Lisa Arickx, Wish List Chair
*Please note; if you plan to purchase items from more than one teacher, they must be completed in different transactions so the items can be shipped to the correct person! Thanks!
All Souls Day Remembrance
We will remember and pray for our faithful departed during a school mass on November 10th at 8:45 AM. If your family has experienced a death in the past year, we would welcome the opportunity to pray for your loved one. Please complete this form: https://forms.gle/bBiyKcXQ9n8cqzxs6 and we will add your family member or loved one to our remembrance.
We will read your loved one's name during an entrance procession and place a candle in our memorial display at the foot of the altar.
If you would like to send a picture of your family member to be included in the display, please email a digital copy to Janet Abdoulaye at email@example.com by Wednesday, November 2nd.
School families are also welcome to participate as "trunkers" if you would like. Decorate your vehicle and come early to get in line and pass out candy!
Catholic Charities - Social Worker Position
Please feel free to share the following with anyone who might be interested and qualified.
The School Social Work Program of Catholic Charities Indianapolis has a part-time opening for a School Social Worker at St. Susanna School for the 2022-23 school year. A master’s in social work is preferred, but a master’s in counseling will also be considered. Candidates must have or be eligible for a social work license or a school counselor license in the state of Indiana. The job description is available below. Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
As a School Social Worker, you will assist the school in meeting the needs of its students, parents/guardians, and teachers. The goal of all direct and individual services is to help students fully develop their potential… socially, emotionally, physically, and intellectually. This goal will be accomplished by working alongside school staff and serving as a liaison between the school, families, and community organizations.
- Accept student referrals and assess psychosocial factors interfering with a student’s adjustment to or success in school.
- Develop and implement a plan of intervention based on the assessment.
- Provide individual and group counseling to students.
- Implement preventive classroom and school-wide programs teaching life
skills and coping strategies.
- Consult with teachers and administrators in planning strategies for change.
- Facilitate a teamwork approach in planning and developing student services.
- Provide brief family counseling and parent education dealing with expectations, behaviors, and family relationships.
- Provide crisis intervention and referral services.
- Serve as a member of the School Crisis Response Team as needed.
- Maintain accurate and complete service delivery records that are relevant to planning, management, and evaluation of services provided.
- Possess knowledge and understanding basic to the social work/counselor profession.
- Ability to identify a professional interest and commitment to school social work practice.
- Display effective communication skills in relating to children and families.
- Master of Social Work Degree. Meets Social Work Licensing requirements of the State of Indiana. Master of Counseling Degree. Meets Licensing requirements of the State of Indiana. Experience working with children and families, school experience preferred.
Safe Environment Training
The Archdiocese recently changed their safe environment training provider to Safe Parish, from the previous Safe and Sacred system. In the new system, all volunteers are monitored quarterly. As long as you have a previous background check, your background check will be monitored on an on-going basis and it will not expire after five years as it did in the previous system. All volunteers must be registered in the Safe Parish system before they can volunteer. Instructions for registering and training are in the newsletter each week (see below).
In order to volunteer in our school building during the day or attend field trips as a chaperone, you must have a current safe environment training on file with us. This requirement includes safe environment training and a basic background check through the Archdiocese. The training and background checks are good for five years from the time of completion.
To check your current expiration date, contact Mrs. Carson at email@example.com
To obtain a new training and background check:
- Go to the website www.archindysafeparish.org
- Create an account as this is a new system. Previously the Archdiocese used a system called "Safe and Sacred."
- You will need a passcode in order to create an account. The passcode is Archindy2021
- Complete the background check for school or parish VOLUNTEER and select Saint Susanna as a recipient of your information.
- Complete the training video and questions.
Please allow up to two weeks for this process to be completed.
The service hour tracking form can be found here and a copy will be sent home in the back-to-school packets. We ask that each family complete five service hours this school year. These hours can be completed during school or parish events.
Easy Fund-Raising for Saint Susanna Catholic School!
Box Tops for Education
Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Download the new Box Tops App (iTunes or Google Play) – it’s free
- Step 2: Create a username and connect it to your child’s school
- Step 3: Scan your grocery store receipt. Items with the new Box Tops label will be automatically credited to your school
Does this mean I should stop sending in my paper Box Tops that I have already clipped? No! Continue to send those to the school!
Kroger Community Rewards
Information on the Kroger Community Rewards program can be found here on their website or under the "rewards" tab in your Kroger app. You will need to search for the exact name of our organization as SAINT SUSANNAS SCHOOL PTP . From there, you can link your Kroger card with our organization and a portion of your spending at Kroger will come to us.
St. Susanna Catholic School's mission is to provide a Christ-centered, quality education that prepares and inspires its students to excel as they progress in their scholastic careers. Based on Catholic teachings, our students and staff exemplify the value of faith, service, love, and respect in all situations and with all people.