"PEEK at PEAK"
January 7 - Happy New Year!
PEAK OPEN HOUSE
Thursday, January 30th: 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
You are invited to our Winter PEAK Open House. This is a come and go style Open House. We are excited to showcase both topic study and science work!
- Some students need to finish the front page to their science portfolio. Please ask your child if he/she needs to complete this one page cover sheet.
January Work Sessions
I have tried to vary days and times of the optional work sessions. Please RSVP so I know who to expect. I will definitely need to know if you are attending the Saturday session because I will give out my cell number so you can call to get into the building.
- Thursday, January 9 - 8:00 AM
- Monday, January 13 - 7:45 AM
- Wednesday, January 15 - (Yes an evening time!) 3:45 PM - 6:30 PM
- Friday, January 17 - 7:45 AM
- Saturday, January 18 (Yes SATURDAY) - 9:30 AM - Noon
- Monday, January 27 - 7:45 AM
- Wednesday, January 29 - 7:45 AM
- Topic Study: We have a lot going on in Topic Study! Students are finishing projects, answering their essential question, and preparing notes for display. We have really focused on depth of learning through our note taking and projects. It is important to note that the projects are 100% student completed. My focus this year has been on process not product. We have emphasized depth of learning. Additionally, It is important for the students to learn what a finished project "looks" like without modifications from adults. This is a huge step in the learning process. I am so proud of the students' effort and unique interpretation to their independent research project.
- Math: We introduced our Algebra unit. It was great to hear the students comment on how much Algebra Rocks!
- Science: Today we finished the final solar collector experiment write up. Groups also made a chart recording the results from all 6 solar experiments. We also made cover sheets to our lab portfolios (homework if not finished in class). Next week, groups will brainstorm what type of solar collector they want to make for our solar collector contest. At the conclusion of the contest, we will award certificates for a variety of achievements.
- Today we worked on writing our feature magazine article rough drafts. Students were actively engaged in the writing process! Each student put his/her writing in their personal Drop Box account so they could work on it at home if desired.
New Apps are where it's at ---
We have learned the following new Technology Applications:
- Evernote ---for Theme Study
- Symbaloo - "PEAK PAD"
- Drop Box
- S'more poster
- Google Docs
- Create a Graph
- Live Binders --- for Topic Study
- Edmodo (review)