Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
September 4, 2015
Mrs. Johnston's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @MrsTJohnston
Scholastic Book Orders
Our first scholastic book order is coming home today! This is a great inexpensive way to build your home library and keep your child excited about reading! Order online on the website below to easily choose the book you would like without sending in forms or checks. Our class code is GPQ9M.
Happy Shopping & Reading!
Orders due by Sept. 16th.
Volunteer In Our Classroom!!
I'm using VolunteerSpot to organize classroom volunteers this year.
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our Sign-Up on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/H4e8Fq
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on VolunteerSpot.
Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.
Upcoming Dates to Remeber
- Monday, Sept. 7th- Labor Day...NO SCHOOL
- Friday, Sept. 11th- 1/2 day for students- dismissal at 12:00
- Friday, Sept. 11th- Spirit Day- HSE Royals
- Thursday, Sept. 24th- Field trip...information sent home on Friday
- Friday, Sept. 25th- Grandparent's Day
This Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- No School
- Tuesday- Day 1 Art
- Wednesday- Day 2 PE
- Thursday- Day 3 Music
- Friday- Day 0- No specials/half day
What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
- This week we will continue introducing our reading workshop and daily 5 activities.
- Students will continue learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue talking about small moments in the books that we read and relate that to our own lives and our writing.
- Students will continue working on daily 5 as I get to know each of them better as readers. :)
- We will test over place value at the beginning of the week.
- We will begin reviewing our addition and subtraction strategies and learn about the different properties.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
Problem of the Day
Can you solve it in at least 2 ways?
Practicing our place value skills with a fun game!
Number of the Day
What can you do with this number?
- We will continue writing our small moment stories this week.
- We will concentrate on adding feelings and emotions to our story.
- We will work to make sure our stories have a beginning, middle, and end.
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
Background Checks & Anti-bullying Video
Visitors Lunches Starts After Labor Day, Tuesday, September 8th
Book Fees Have Been Posted on Skyward
Snack Attack Snack Drive starting Monday, Aug 24th
Snack Attack provides TCE students in need with a sack of healthy snacks to take home on Fridays to help them through the weekend until they can return to school on Monday for a hot meal.
Our Dad’s Club is sponsoring our Snack Drive starting Monday, Aug 24th. Please consider donating individually wrapped snack items. Bins will be located outside of the school office. Suggested items include: granola bars, pudding, popcorn, fruit cups, crackers, etc.
If your child is in need and would appreciate receiving these weekly bags of snacks, please contact our school counselor, Mrs. Jackie Fiesbeck, at 594-4310 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The recipients of Snack Attack remain confidential.
It’s a great day to be a Cardinal and support our students! Thank you for considering a donation of a snack item to our Snack Drive!