Mr T speaks...
With Michigan Virtual University-Education & Online Learning
Richard Kerry Thompson
Richard Kerry Thompson aka / Mr. T / RKT / is a visionary, advocate and charismatic leader, with demonstrated expertise in the areas of At Risk students, online learning and seat time waiver for K-12 students, with a focus on improving achievement outcomes, particularly with at-risk students, in the Alternative Education / Non-Traditional setting.
The following 13 cutting edge videos are from an interview with RKT by Michigan Virtual University one of the top Online platforms in the nation and world.
The Academy is an alternative education school in Swartz Creek, Michigan, that provides students an opportunity to earn their diplomas by taking courses in online or blended formats.
Richard’s program emphasizes rigor, responsibility, and growth when working with students in alternative settings. Michigan Virtual™ staff spoke with Richard about how his school establishes practices that focus on relationship building and allow students to take control of their learning.
Hear directly from Richard in the videos below, and check out the YouTube playlist for even more insights.
13 Videos & Thought Provoking ideas Put To Action...
- The Importance of Relationships
- Recognizing Student Voices
- Instilling Desire In Your Students
- Setting Expectations For Students
- How Do You Hold Students Accountable
- Inspiring Students To See Possibilities For Their Futures
- Helping Students Tackle Challenges and Grow
- Using Covey's 7 Habits as a Mentor
- Orienting Your Students To Online Program
- How Mentors Can Influence Parent / Guardian Involvement
- What Is A Typical Day For A Mentor
- Coordinate With Mentors and Team Mentors
- What Makes A Good Mentor
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak my Ethos, Pathos and Logos of Education in America.
I hope you and yours are enjoying this holiday season! I just wanted to send along a link to the blog post that we recently (finally!) published that features videos from the interviews we conducted with you so long ago. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this with us. These videos can likely be featured in professional learning offerings and great discussions around how to best motivate and inspire students. Thank you again!
Professional Learning Services Manager
Improving Education. Improving Lives.
Interview Time Total = 37:36
- The Importance of Relationships = 1:38
- Recognizing Student Voices = 2:19
- Instilling Desire In Your Students = 2:15
- Setting Expectations For Students = 3:33
- How Do You Hold Students Accountable = 5:08
- Inspiring Students To See Possibilities For Their Futures = 3:30
- Helping Students Tackle Challenges and Grow = 2:21
- Using Covey's 7 Habits as a Mentor = 1:54
- Orienting Your Students To Online Program = 2:06
- How Mentors Can Influence Parent / Guardian Involvement = 3:47
- What Is A Typical Day For A Mentor = 4:18
- Coordinate With Mentors and Team Mentors = :52
- What Makes A Good Mentor = 2:47