Kingsley ES Principal Newsletter
October 10, 2021
"Individually Unique, Together Complete"
What's Happening This Week - Week of October 10th
Here's our Week-at-a-Glance:
9/15-10/15 - Celebrating Hispanic Heritage
10/12 &10/13 - CMP Virtual Town Hall Meeting (info below)
10/12 - Title 1 Virtual Annual Meeting
10/13 - Walking Wednesday
10/11-10/15 - National School Lunch Week
10/12 - Fire Drill
10/15 - College Spirit Wear Day
10/15 - Progress Reports Go Home
October Updates & Reminders
- Please make plans to attend the virtual CMP Town Hall Meeting. There are several dates listed for the meetings.
- We have another Title 1 Annual Meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, Oct. 12th at 5:30 PM. I will be sharing the same information I shared on August 24th. Please see the TEAMS link below.
- Walking Wednesday has been rescheduled for Wednesday, October 13th. Dr. Hamilton will be sharing information through Class Dojo today.
- Derby Day has been reschedule for Friday, October 22nd.
- It's Trunk or Treat Time! If you would like to donate to our school-wide Trunk or Treat Celebration, please drop off your candy donations at the car pool line or send it with your students and we will collect it from the classrooms each day. Our Trunk or Treat is Friday October 29th from 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM followed by KES Movie on the Lawn starting at 7:00 PM.
KES STEAM Day was AMAZING!
- Thank you to all of the parents and partners for your donations and participation. We could not have pulled this off without you.
- Students, you did an amazing job! There was so much collaboration, problem solving, hands-on/minds-on taking place in ALL of the classrooms. Who says learning cannot be fun?!?!
- A big shout out to all of the teachers and staff. You made STEAM Day a day to remember for students.
- Last but not least, Mrs. Human. You are the MVP for KES STEAM Day 🏆. Mrs. Human worked nonstop creating, preparing lessons and activities, and prepping materials for our STEAM Day. Thank you so much! ❤️
Check out the video Mrs. Human created for us!
Comprehensive Master Plan - Options and Recommendation Town Hall meeting.
*The Town Hall Meetings will take place virtually at 6:00 PM.
Schedule for Regional Town Hall Meetings, below:
Region IV Comprehensive Master Plan - Options & Recommendations
Region III Comprehensive Master Plan - Options & Recommendations
Region VII Comprehensive Master Plan - Options & Recommendations
Region I Comprehensive Master Plan - Options & Recommendations
Region VI Comprehensive Master Plan - Options & Recommendations
Last week was Georgia Pre-K Week. We celebrated our Pre-K students all week!
Check out previous Principal Newsletters.
Week of October 3rd - https://www.smore.com/8nzhj
Week of September 29th - https://www.smore.com/c0gkm
Week of September 19th - https://www.smore.com/0qr6n
Week of September 5th - https://www.smore.com/8tdcv
Week of August 29th - https://www.smore.com/52yz7
Week of August 22nd - https://www.smore.com/cfp3v
Week of August 15th - https://www.smore.com/3jbm2
Week of August 8th - https://www.smore.com/ynjr1
Week of August 1st - https://www.smore.com/30dj5
Edulog Parent Portal Smartphone App
DeKalb County School District announced today the launch of the Edulog Parent Portal smartphone app. The app is designed to give parents and guardians information about their child’s school bus ride.
The app allows parents and guardians to follow their child’s bus on a real-time map and stay up-to-date with notifications when that bus nears the bus stop, the school, or a custom alert zone. Parents and guardians only receive access by registering with data unique to their child.
How to Get Up and Running:
1 – Review the “Getting Started” video
2 – Download the app, sign up, and check your email to authenticate
3 – Enter your student’s student number
4 – See your student’s bus stop time and location
5 – Locate your school bus and receive alerts
Visit here for more information! https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/parents/edulog-parent-portal/
Extra, Extra, Read All About It...PTO News
Things to Know from Your Kingsley PTO
KINGSLEY DERBY RETURNS
2021 Derby Day has been rescheduled for October 22nd. Students love Kingsley Derby! They earn prizes by raising funds and enjoy the excitement and camaraderie of the day.
SPIRIT WEAR STORE IS OPEN
The Kingsley Spirit Wear Store is open for pre-orders and with new shirt designs available this year! Guarantee your size (both child and adult available) by pre-ordering your shirts HERE. Remember, every Friday, Comets are invited to wear their best KES spirit wear!
ORDER YOUR YEARBOOK NOW
Don’t forget to order your 2021-2022 Kingsley Elementary Yearbook before prices increase. Order your yearbook HERE for $40. Recognition ad sales coming soon!
ROOM PARENTS NEEDED
This unique volunteer opportunity is a great way to be involved, get to know your students’ teachers, and support Kingsley. Time commitments are flexible, and the duties can be performed primarily from home. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested!
KINGSLEY DERBY ALERT
We encourage everyone to to raise at least $100 in donations, earn fun prizes and be ready for Derby Day on October 22nd.
Donations can be logged either on the paper list included in the handout today OR by creating a profile on https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pledgestar.com%2FKingsley&data=04%7C01%7CTyra_Harris-Thompson%40dekalbschoolsga.org%7C42056a25638c4d12144808d979c8580b%7C312b238ac08341c1a18b736b02696f79%7C0%7C0%7C637674724543640727%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=IB2nXXdxzaiiM9eOaswStRsDGqjyW1GnB4gjGNEJNSI%3D&reserved=0
Oh, and did we mention that the top raising student gets to throw a pie in Ms. Bishop’s face?
Counselor Corner - Dr. Hamilton
The Lemonade War
HAVE YOU DOWNLOADED AND REVIEWED THE 2021-2022 STUDENT/PARENT HANDBOOK?
A comprehensive student/parent handbook was developed over the summer that outlines our school policies and procedures.
***Please download the handbook using the attachment below or click on the QR code below and save it to refer to throughout the school year.
If your child needs to have medication administered at school, please download the form below and have your physician to complete it.
You may drop off the medication and the documents for the medication on the first day back to school. A staff member will meet you at the front entrance of the school to collect the documents and medication or you may place the form and medication in a Ziploc bag clearly labeled with your child's first/last name and grade. You may send it by the student with the necessary document. Inform the teacher and Nurse Thomas (email address below) that these items are in your child's backpacks and we will be sure Nurse Thomas receives them.
Please feel free to reach out to Nurse Thomas by email or you may call the school 678.874.8902 if you have any questions. email@example.com .
We Have The BEST PTO! Have You Joined? Register with the PTO Website/Membership Toolkit.
Want to make sure you are up to date on all school news? Register with the PTO today!
1. Register with the PTO website/Membership Toolkit (this will ensure you receive PTO/Kingsley Newsletters).
(If you are a returning Kingsley family, update your information as necessary!)
2. Pay your School Dues of $40 per student to help with supplies, teacher stipends for materials, etc.
3. Donate to the Kingsley Annual Fund. Annual Fund donations help for major projects such as the recent playground renovation and the remodeling of the teacher's lounge.
Remember registering with the PTO website/Membership Toolkit ensures you’ll receive the PTO/Kingsley newsletter--- you need this newsletter--- it has LOTS of information about our school and other fun activities for your students!
Here’s the website: https://kingsleypto.membershiptoolkit.com/
SCHOOL MEALS - Lunch Update
Breakfast and lunch are served each day of school. All meals are FREE through the 2021-2022 school year. Please review the School Cafe flyer below.
Students will be eating lunch in the cafeteria this year. ALL students will have access to free meals for the 2021/2022 school year. However, we ask that families who qualify for free and reduced lunch complete a lunch form so Kingsley can receive the funding associated with the program. The cafeteria is hoping to start selling a la carte items so please set up a School Cafe account for your child at schoolcafe.com if you would like your child to have the option to purchase additional a la cart items different from the provided school lunch.
Breakfast and lunch menus can always be found on this website: https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/school-nutrition/menus/
Please contact our Cafeteria Manager, Mrs. Cataline Moreno-Ortega, if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
2021-2022 SCHOOL CALENDAR
The school calendar is set by the Dekalb County School District. Please click the link below to view the 2021-2022 school calendar.