SCCS Home Bulletin
JUNE 2021 ISSUE
Greetings from SCCS!
I hope you've had a great start to your summer. Whenever I ask someone how their summer is going, the most common response is: fast! As we slide further into summer, I hope you are finding time for relaxing, refreshment, and rejuvenation. Here's some encouragement from Mrs. Mouw if you need it: https://bit.ly/3vKuxoq.
As we look forward to 21-22, we can't help but raise our hands in praise to God for His faithfulness during 20-21. It was a school year like none other, but we were able to weather it - and learn and thrive - through leaning on Him. The decisions we’ve made have been guided by our commitment to treasure and train our students through on-campus learning, united with balanced health precautions to promote the physical, intellectual, social, emotional, and spiritual health of our students, employees, and families.
Just about a year ago at this time, we were finishing our CO19 plans to start in the fall, not knowing how the year was going to go but putting our trust in God that He would guide us. As we look back, we have huge cause for celebration and thankfulness:
- We completed the entire school year with 100% face-to-face learning
- Students were able to be in school, learning under the direction of master teachers and with their classmates
- Social-emotional needs were met through implemented structures
- Students participated in field trips, special events, concerts, and learning experiences
- In an economically challenging year, our supporters blessed us by giving generously to complete the funding on our 2015 building expansion project
- The visiting CSI accreditation team named this as one of our commendations: Over the past four years, Sioux Center Christian School has weathered tremendous challenges and continues to flourish as a learning community.
- We finished the school year in a mostly “normal” way
THANK YOU for your faithful support of SCCS during the last school year! We tried our very best to have a measured response to CO19 and look forward to getting things back to "normal" this fall - that's what's best for kids. Thank you for your patience, flexibility, and dedication. You walked the road with us, and we are so thankful for that.
This verse continues to roll around in my head: “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans.” Proverbs 16:3 Let's keep moving forward with commitment, purpose, unity, and determination into 21-22!
Check out this special issue of the Home Bulletin to learn more about:
- class of 2021
- building improvements
- Tales and Trails
- CSI accreditation results
- Outlet 75
- CO19 keeps
- Registration/parent-teacher conferences
- SCCS purchasing school supplies
- Legacy/tuition statement update reminders
- tuition grants/NICSTO
Have a great rest of your week!
CONGRATULATIONS, CLASS OF 2021!
- A big focus on the west wing: painting (including adding wall designs and getting rid of the old green tile!), new ceiling tiles, LED lighting, tiling around drinking fountains, updating the bathrooms by the old office and the ramp (a full refresh!), hallway rugs
- New furniture for 4Care and grades 1-3
- New roof for south hallway and kitchen
- Replacing all remaining SMART Boards with touchscreen TVs
- A new sensory path for students, installed outside the lunchroom
TALES AND TRAILS SUMMER CAMP
There's still time to sign up for Tales and Trails! This is our 3rd year we are offering an educational and FUN summer supervision option for your kids. Half-day and full-day options are available. Summer Camp is open to any children of the community who are 5-11 years of age by June 1. Forms are available outside the TRIP office or online: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/talestrails.cfm
CSI ACCREDITATION VISIT RESULTS
- Sioux Center Christian School possesses a high-caliber faculty and administration who exhibit professional commitment to educating the hearts and minds of students.
- The Sioux Center Christian School Board demonstrates wisdom in adopting mission-based governance and the creation of a board profile that ensures the appropriate expertise on the board to fulfill its fiduciary duties.
- Sioux Center Christian School is blessed with strong, hard-working, and effective administrative leadership that seeks to live out the mission and vision of the school.
- Over the past four years, Sioux Center Christian School has weathered tremendous challenges and continues to flourish as a learning community.
- Sioux Center Christian School cultivates a collaborative teaching and learning environment for faculty and staff.
- Sioux Center Christian School is passionately pursuing Teaching for Transformation and inclusive education in order to fulfill the school’s mission and vision more effectively.
- Sioux Center Christian School fosters a God-honoring, supportive, and loving culture for faculty, staff, students, and families.
From the self-assessments we've been doing and the analysis of the visiting accreditation team, we've written the required school improvement plan. See the document below for more information regarding steps we will be taking over the next 5 years (when the next accreditation visit happens) to ensure that SCCS continues to provide the best possible Christian education for God's kids!
- Teach students tech tools early in the year
- Satellite clinic with Sioux Center Health
- Bandaids, mints, cough drops provided to classrooms (limit sending students to the nurse)
- Ice pack stations
- Trailblazer Time (beginning, middle, and end of the day)
- Faculty and staff holding doors in the morning
- Doors open at 7:55
- Signs posted to promote healthy behaviors and washing hands
- Hand sanitizer available in all rooms
- Pods for classroom seating
- Blazer Academy
- Increased cleaning of high-touch surfaces
SAVE THE DATE: REGISTRATION AND PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES
SCCS PURCHASING SCHOOL SUPPLIES
LEGACY UPDATE REMINDER/UPDATED TUITION STATEMENTS
PANCAKE BREAKFAST RESULTS
On Saturday, June 5, SCCS faculty and staff partnered with Kinsey Elementary faculty and staff to host the annual pancake breakfast. Thank you to Hy-Vee for donating all food and supplies and to the Sioux Center Fire Department for providing the space. Thank you also to the Sioux Center Chamber for donating chair and table rental and advertising. We received $1,400 toward the mission of SCCS with this event!
COOK POSITION OPENING: The Sioux Center Christian School lunch program is looking to fill the position of cook. We are looking for a hardworking, dependable, detail-oriented person to serve in this position, with hours between 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM three-five days per week. Responsibilities include prepping and serving meals, cleaning, and other kitchen tasks. Additional days would also be available for applicants interested. We invite you to join our fast-paced, fun work environment! To apply, complete and send in the staff application and resume to Josh Bowar, head of school, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application is available on the school website at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
PARAPROFESSIONAL POSITION OPENING: Sioux Center Christian School is seeking to fill the position of paraprofessional, with the individual supporting a second-grade student one-on-one both in the classroom and during individual work time. The hours for the position are 8:00-3:00 Thursdays and Fridays. Responsibilities include carrying out lesson plans, supporting growth toward established goals, communicating with the classroom and resource teacher, and providing support for the student. To apply, complete and send in the staff application and resume to Josh Bowar, head of school, at email@example.com. The application is available on the school website at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Sioux Center Christian School offers a play-based, child-care opportunity for 4-years-olds enrolled in preschool called 4Care. There's still room for next year! Head to this site to learn more: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions/4care.cfm