October 30, 2020
Dear Boone Community,
We set our clocks back an hour this weekend, and so begins NOVEMBER! We are also almost to Election Day which takes place on Tuesday, November 3rd. With the election quickly approaching, I know there is much on our minds as we prepare for the momentous week ahead of us. Students have been engaging in discussions about the elections in class, and this is a great opportunity to teach your child about our government and the range of views that candidates and voters have on the issues facing us today. If you need information on registering to vote or your polling location, please visit chicagoelections.gov. A reminder that there will be no classes on Election Day, and no classes next Friday, November 6th, due to teacher workshops.
We all also continue to navigate new ways of celebrating and maintaining traditions during the COVID-19 pandemic--particularly now with recent uptick in cases in Chicago. For those of you who will be celebrating Halloween, here is a link to the complete Chicago Halloween Guidelines for this year. Please stay safe if you will be out and about this weekend.
In peace and health,
Jackie Delaney, Principal
November Meal Distribution & No School in Session Dates
11/03 - No School, No meal distribution (Election Day)
11/06 - No School, No meal distribution (Teacher Workshop Day); 4 day's worth of meals will be included in meals kits on November 4th & 5th
11/18 - No School (Report Cards/Virtual Conferences) but Meal distribution OPEN
11/25, 11/26, 11/27 - No School, No meal distribution (Thanksgiving Holiday); 5 day's worth of meals will be included in kits on November 23rd & 24th
LSC Elections Updates
Teens, Save the Date for ChiTeen Lit Fest, November 6-7
The fifth annual for-teens-by-teens ChiTeen Lit Fest takes place Friday and Saturday, November 6-7. For the first time, the fest is fully virtual! ChiTeen Lit Fest provides a safe and creative space for you to unlock and discover your unique voice through literary arts.
Get Published Before the Fest
Each week leading up to the festival, we will feature teens' work online. Submit poetry, fiction, nonfiction and essays, reviews, blogs, scripts, lyrics or graphic novel panels. Find information about how to submit your work.
Check out Mather Virtual Open House on Nov 7!
Is there someone at Boone who you would like to recognize for their hard work, kindness, or other awesome quality? Please click here on the Boone Community Shout-Out form to take a moment to acknowledge that person. Your message may appear in the next post!
- I am really grateful to have a teacher like Ms. Benjamin. I really appreciate all the help she is giving me in E-learning. I know I sometimes I gave her some headaches but she is willing to help me understand the subject that I don’t understand. Thank you so much. (From Jonathan F)
- Ms. Main, You are doing a good job with the students!Thanks so much. (From parent Modadeola)
- Mr. Immanuel I decide to give you a shout out because you're awesome (From Nayeli)
- THANK YOU for being my teachers and also thank you for being there when we need you in this condition!! THANK YOU!!!! (From Shameem)
- I want to give a huge Shout out to Ms Toma because she is super nice and makes sure we are really understanding the concepts. (From Faven)
- I want to give a shout-out to Ms.Plaza for always willing to help students after school and during class! (From Gharsanai)
- Nov 3 - NO SCHOOL, Election Day
- Nov 5 - End of 1st Quarter
- Nov 6 - NO SCHOOL, Teacher Professional Development Day
- Nov 17 - LSC Virtual Meeting, 4:30PM
- Nov 18 - NO SCHOOL, Report Card Conferences (virtual)
- Nov 18 - LSC Elections for all CPS Elementary Schools
- Nov 25,26,27 - NO SCHOOL, Thanksgiving Holiday
Click here to be re-directed to a bulletin board with resources shared by community members.
REPEAT REMINDERS BELOW
YMCA Virtual Programming for Students and Adults
A Message from our Partners at the YMCA:Greetings Students and Families,
We are so excited to begin the Boone-YMCA CSI After School program and most importantly, to have you join us! Boone's YMCA after school program has just begun, and there is still time to sign up for our fun and engaging after school programs!
Attached is a menu of the virtual programs being offered. Please follow this link and select which student programs you would like to participate in. After you register for programming, you will receive a confirmation email detailing your enrollment status, your program schedule, and a registration form. There are a limited number of spaces available due to the capacity of online learning engagement, so please only commit to what you or your student have the capacity for.
There are also some great program opportunities for adults, including; dance classes, yoga classes, and paint parties! You can find more information and sign up for these programs here.
We look forward to providing your students with enrichment activities that are both fun and engaging!
Please feel free to reach out to Josh Fidler, YMCA CSI Program Manger at Boone, with any questions you may have.
Go CPS Application Window is Open
The Go CPS Application Period for the 2021-2022 school year opens on October 12, 2020, and closes on December 11, 2020. During this period, families can submit an application, select and rank programs and schools, and schedule any required admissions screenings, if applicable (i.e., admissions exams, auditions, information sessions, and interviews). Click here to access the GoCPS website.
- Students who do not live within Boone's attendance area must apply through the Go CPS Process, this includes siblings.
- Current PK students who do not live within Boone's attendance area but would like to enroll for Kindergarten for 2020-2021 must apply through the Go CPS Process.
- 8th graders who are interested in applying to specialty programs must apply through the Go CPS Process.
Parent Portal gives parents the ability to view students' grades in real time. If you are setting up your Parent Portal account for the first time, please visit the First Time Parent Portal Set-Up link. This is a one-time step and not necessary after every school year. Once you receive your email from Aspen to help set up your username and password, you can access Parent Portal at Aspen Parent Portal.
If you already have a Parent Portal account, but are running into technical issues (forgot password, locked out, etc), please email Boone's tech coordinator Patrick Chi (firstname.lastname@example.org) so he can reset your account. Once your account is reset, you should receive an email from Aspen with further instructions. Additional information provided by the district can be found at this link.
How to Contact Office Staff or Administration
While Door 1 is under construction and temporarily unavailable, and there are limited staff at Boone due to COVID-19 closure, here are the ways you can contact office and/or administrative staff:
- Leave a message with Security Officer Mr. Valencia outside at Door 2 near the food distribution, 8am-1pm daily Monday-Friday
- Call main office and/or leave a phone message at 773-534-2160, option #0 (voicemail is checked daily)
- Email one of our clerks: Claudia Ortiz - email@example.com (English & Spanish), Shamiram Shahbaz - firstname.lastname@example.org (English, Arabic, Assyrian)
Daniel Boone Elementary School
Boone Vision: Kindness, creativity, and an understanding of diverse perspectives will guide us as we intentionally engage in learning opportunities and take action to bring about positive change in our world.
Boone Mission: We actively seek to learn more about ourselves, others, and the world through the arts and through learning opportunities that respond to our identities and promote positive relationships. We rise up to advocate for ourselves and others so that everyone is valued and empowered.