Armstrong Future Center
Information for College and Career Success at the Strong
SENIORS: effective Monday, February 29th, all seniors will require an appointment to use the Future Center. This includes any period you do not have a class. There will be limited number of walk-ins allowed. You can make a 15 or 30 minute appointment by e-mailing email@example.com, texting 804-213-2570 or making an appointment request in person.
SENIORS SHOULD FOCUS ON $$$$ IN FEBRUARY!
Super FAFSA Week is gone but the momentum continues...
Students will be entered into a raffle for a $25 gift card to Olive Garden/Longhorn/Red Lobster upon submitting a copy of their Student Aid Report (SAR) to me or Ms. S. Jones college adviser.
Steps to Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
*Important: parents and students are required to have a FSA ID.
STEP 2: Verify your e-mail by entering the secure code.
STEP 3: Login using your FSA ID (username and password) at http://fafsa.gov and start a 2016-17 FAFSA application.
STEP 4: Respond to the questions about you and your parents. If your parents have not filed or will not file taxes for 2015, use 2014 financial information. You can always go back and make adjustments after tax filing.
STEP 5: You and parent sign the FAFSA electronically using your respective FSA IDs.
STEP 6: Check your e-mail to make sure that your FAFSA processes successfully. Print a copy of your Student Aid Report and bring it to the Future Center to be entered to win a $25 gift card!
SCHOLARSHIPS! SCHOLARSHIPS! SCHOLARSHIPS!
Upcoming Scholarship Deadlines
This is a sample of the many scholarships available. Remember, scholarships can reduce the amount of loans you or your parents have to use.
Virginia State Scholarship Fund - $1500
- This scholarship is for females - NO GPA minimum
- Deadline: February 15, 2016
Buick Achievers Essay - Up to $25,000 renewable
- Plan to study Engineering/Technology or select Design related programs of study.
- Deadline: February 25, 2016
AFA Teens for Alzheimers Awareness Essay - $500 to $5,000
- Write an essay on how Alzheimer's has impacted your life. Hint: you can read last year's winners essays on their website.
- Deadline: February 15, 2016
Senior Career Cruising for Doughnuts starts 2/8/16
This offer will run through February 19th.
SAT Make-up Day for Saturday, January 23rd is Saturday, February 20th - Show up with your ID and SAT Ticket
Help! I don't know how to complete my FAFSA!
- The Future Center - Staff is available in the Future Center Monday through Friday and after school on Tuesday and Thursday to assist. You can text 804-213-2570 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with specific questions or to make an appointment.
- GRASP Advisors - Ms. Jordan is available Tuesdays 9:30 to 2:00 and Mr. Halligan is available 8:00 to 1:00 on Wednesdays to assist students and parents.
- Watch this quick video about the Financial Aid Process
Underclassman Day Begins in March
RPS College Success Day
Saturday, March 5th, 9am-2pm
3001 North Boulevard
Hosted in partnership by Scholarship Sharing and Richmond Public Schools
College Success Day is designed to help students learn about ways to prepare for paying for college step by step. During this event students will get to network with 40 colleges and nonprofits with scholarships and financial aid opportunities. Additionally, students will be able to attend speaking presentations on ways to pay for college. Prizes and scholarships will also be awarded at the end of the event to attendees through an optional to participate in raffle.
The first 50 Armstrong students to register will get a prize. Bring your ticket stub to the Future Center!
Click on the link below to register: