Back to School Edition August 11, 2022
Welcome to Prairie Trails
Please read all the information below carefully, as there is a lot of important information included.
Prairie Trails, Principal
What's Happening at Prairie Trails:
- Wednesday, August 17 - Kindergarten Meet & Greet at assigned time
- Thursday, August 18 - First day of Kindergarten 9:50 am start
- Friday, August 19 - Pre- K Meet & Greet at 9:30, 10:30, 12:30 or 1:30
- Friday, August 19- First full day of kindergarten 9:00-3:30
- Monday, August 22- First day of Pre-K
- Friday, August 26- PTC Welcome Bash 4:30 (NEW TIME)
- Tuesday, August 30 - Picture Day
- Wednesday, August 31- Open House 6:00 pm
- Monday, September 5th- No School- Labor Day
LOOKING FOR PART TIME WORK?
WE ARE HIRING
Prairie Trails is looking for lunchroom / playground supervisors for the 22-23 school year.
- 5 days per week
- 2 hours / day
- $15 per hour
- Start asap
- Reach out to Mrs. Veytsman if you have any interest. email@example.com
Before or After School Child Care
22-23 KID SQUAD BEFORE/AFTER SCHOOL CARE
Kid Squad is a cooperative program between the River Trails Park District and School District #26. This program is available for parents who need Before and/ or After School Care for their children in kindergarten through 5th grades. Program will meet at the Weiss Center for the start of the 22-23 school year. Bussing will be available between Weiss Center and Prairie Trails
Online registration and parent manual available at Weiss Center or online at rtpd.org . Follow this link for more information.
Message from our Nurse
Hello Prairie Trails School Families,
My name is Veronica Karp, I am the school nurse for Prairie Trails Early Learning Center. I have been a nurse for 38 years. I have worked in hospitals, homecare, and in telehealth settings during my nursing career. I'm married to my husband Bruce of 22 years and we have 20 year old twin sons who attend college. My hobbies are scrapbooking, reading, and watching old westerns on television.
I am in the process of reviewing immunization records and physical exams. If your student is missing one or more of the required immunizations and does not have a medical or personal beliefs exemption on file, you will be receiving a letter or email home along with a list of the state required immunizations.
I would also like to bring to your attention the parental portion of the physical exam that needs to be filled out, signed, and dated by a parent or guardian. This is on the top of the second page of the school physical form. The health office at school needs this information back as soon as possible.
Vision and dental examinations are required for our Kindergarteners. A vision examination must be performed by a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist and is due by October 15, 2022. If you can not get an eye examination scheduled by 10/15/2022, please schedule the appointment now and email me a copy of your appointment card. A dental examination must be performed by a licensed dentist and is due by May 15, 2023.
If your child needs medication at school for any length of time, the school will need a current medical authorization from their physician, a form signed by a parent giving me permission to administer the medication, and the medication in its original packaging or container. These forms can be found in the office or at 2022 Medication Policy and Packet on our school website:https://www.rtsd26.org/parents/health-requirements. If your student has a chronic medical condition, a new health concern, or a food/environmental allergy, please email me so that we can set up a time to discuss your student’s needs.
My goal is to team with you to ensure your child’s health and safety while they are at school. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance. Here’s to a great school year!
Veronica Karp, RN, BSN, MS
PTC Welcome Bash
2022-2023 Lunch & Breakfast Information
This year, the lunch program will return to the pre-pandemic process. Families who meet certain income eligibility guidelines can apply for free or reduced-price meals.
- Learn how to create a MyMealTime account or to add funds
- Breakfast and lunch menus
- Have questions or need help? Contact Kelly Diaz, director of food services, at 224-612-7675 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Families doing car pickup at the end of the day and walkers will receive a sign on the first day of school to display on your visor/windshield.
Afternoon School Car Pick Up
The health protocols for 2022-2023 will be similar to what they were at the end of last school year. There will be some changes:
- Schools will no longer conduct weekly SHIELD testing
- Classrooms and lunchrooms will no longer require social distancing
- Meals will no longer be paid for by the federal government (see the above section on lunch information)
- The district will not post a dashboard with the daily COVID case count
- A negative home test can now be used to return to school early from a quarantine
Visit our COVID-19 Update Center for the full list of protocols.