Friday, October 28, 2016
- There is a CPR class on Saturday, November 5, from 8-12:00 at the HoneyCutt Center (across from Covington Street School). All classes have been filled at this time. More information will be provided at a later date for any upcoming CPR classes.
- The School Improvement Team met on October 27. Minutes can be viewed at https://docs.google.com/a/scsnc.org/document/d/1giR4v1xJLqORhRWf1Ooh3yi5Ty-c5dS6ORNlb_m5uCU/edit?usp=sharing.
- See your grade level MTSS representative for information on the upcoming end of the nine weeks' PBIS incentive on Thursday, November 3.
- Our Faculty Meeting this week will consist of "Growth Mindset" training by Dr. Rachel Burris. The 7th Grade House will provide refreshments.
- Please be reminded that monitors at games may be asked to step in a serve other roles as need. If you sign up for a monitor at a game and there is a need for help in concession, you may be asked to help when needed. We are in need of additional help for the SH vs. Carver game being played at the High School on 11/9. There will be a sign up genius link sent to staff. We will share monitoring and concessions with CMS.
Academic Committee meeting for Monday, October 31 at 3:45 in the Media Center. If we start on time, we should be done by 4:30 (or sooner).
Please help the custodians keep your rooms clean. Students should eat breakfast before they come to your room. All breakfast trash should be put in the trash cans in the hallway, rather than in your classroom trash can. Should you have a spill in your classroom, please call immediately for a custodian. Thank you.
FYI: Here is the link to the document with names and pictures of students who cannot be on Internet.
Mr. Bream is requesting bottles of nail polish to use at the Fall Festival. All donations will be greatly appreciated.
- November is National Career Development with theme"The Joy of Work: Positive Approaches to Work, Career & Life!" There will be special activities planned for students during this month that focus on College and Career Readiness.
- October 31st is now a regular school day due to the inclement weather of Hurricane "Matthew.
- BAND FRUIT FUNDRAISER began October 13th and will run through November 17th. Please see any band students or Mr. Bream to purchase as much fruit as possible...This is a great fundraiser for our band and has been going on for 30+ years. Let's help make this year a great success.
Please submit to Mrs. Fehlman or Mrs. Snell names of students you feel are the neediest to receive Christmas Cheer. In order for us to plan for adoption of the families, we will need the list of names no later than Friday, November 4, 2016. Thank you for making a difference in a child’s life.
November is American Indian Heritage Month
- On October 14 of this year, NC Governor Pat McCory issued a proclamation declaring November as American Indian Heritage Month.
- This year's theme is "Walking in Two Worlds and Preserving American Indian Heritage" and is intended to recognize the rich heritage and contributions of the indigenous peoples of North Carolina.
- Did you know that there are eight tribes recognized by the state of North Carolina? The are: Coharie, Eastern Band of Cherokee (only tribe federally recognized), Haliwa Saponi, Lumbee, Meherrin, Occaneechi Band of the Saponi Nation, Sappony, and the Waccamaw Siouan.
- Learn NC has an abundance of information regarding the American Indians of North Carolina. If you are interested in learning more and incorporating information in your lessons, please visit their curriculum at http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/nc-american-indians/contents.
MEDIA CENTER HAPPENINGS
My niece is getting married on Nov. 5 and unfortunately (haha) she has chosen to do it in Hawaii, so I guess I have to go!! I will be absent Monday, Oct. 31st - through Tuesday, Nov. 7th. I could not secure a sub for the 10-31 or 11-1, so the Media Center will be closed those days. Mr. Odom will monitor my News team and Battle of the Books team during Spartan time. If a student gets locked out of AR, it automatically clears their account in a 24 hour cycle, so have them try to test again the next day.
Please refer to the following people to address particular issues:
- New Students who need lockers – Check with your House leader for available lockers/combinations
- Technology work orders/broken chromebooks – Mr. Dunham
- Study Island, Website, and Facebook Posts – J. Williams
- Moby Max – J. Williams or Ms. Houston
- Powerschool login problems – teachers should reset password to proper configuration (capital first initial, lower case middle, lower case last, followed by 8 digits for birthday)
Kirby Books has left a display of items that can be ordered by Thursday, Nov. 3rd. Please see items/order sheet at the back of the Media Center. Give money to Audrey in the office.
Career Education Information
- National Career Development Month Poster and Poetry Contest –All students are encouraged to participate and entries are due to Dr. Goins by November 28, 2016. Every student enrolled at Carver and Spring Hill Middle is eligible to participate in the Middle Division of the Poster and Poetry Contest: Grades 6-8. Each entry should celebrate and inspire career development with a positive tone while emphasizing the national theme listed above. More information has been placed in your box regarding this contest.
- Wednesday, November 2, 2016: 7th Grade Exploring Business, Marketing, & Entrepreneurship Field Trip to Downtown Laurinburg Entrepreneurial Businesses (8:45-10:30
- 8th Grade 1st Semester Job Shadowing – November 30, 2016
(Site selections are due no later than November 4, 2016)
- November 16, 2016 “National Career Development Day." This day is set aside for students to “Dress for Success”. Students will learn more about college and career readiness by participating in soft skills activities, mock interviews, and workplace simulations.
Tuesday, November 1- 7th & 8th Grades House and Team Meetings; 6th Grade Team Meetings; Electives Team Meeting; Faculty Meeting 3:45; PTO Night at Domino's Pizza;
Wednesday, November 2-Report Cards Go Home; 7th and 8th Grade Content Level Planning Meetings; CTE 7th Grade Business & Entrepreneurship classes Field Trip (8:45 -10:15); Football at Home vs. West Hoke at 4:15 (Admissions- T. Johnson & L. Francis; Concession- J. Nance & C. Johnson; Monitors- K. Oswald, T. Frazer, & D. Blue; Administration- S. Brayboy)
Thursday, November 3- PBIS End of the 9 Weeks Celebration; 6th Grade Content Level Planning Meetings
Friday, November 4- Character Education; 6th Grade House Meeting at 10:30pm; Christmas Cheer Names due to Mrs. Fehlman and Mrs. Snell; 8th Grade 1st Semester Job Shadowing Due
Tuesday, November 8- 7th & 8th Grades House and Team Meetings; 6th Grade Team Meetings; Electives Team Meeting; Election Day; Zaxby's PTO Fundraiser Night 5:00-8:00pm
Wednesday, November 9- Principal Leadership at Central Office; Digital Facilitator, Debbie McPhaul, on campus; 7th and 8th Grade Content Level Planning Meetings;
Thursday, November 10- Assistant Principal Leadership at Central Office; 6th Grade Content Level Planning Meetings; Fall Festival
Friday, November 11- Veterans Day- No School